This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
How To Use A Gait Belt
What is a gait belt?
A gait belt is a safety device used to help someone move, such as from a bed to a chair. The belt is also used to help hold someone up while he walks, if he is too weak to walk on his own. The gait belt helps you provide support and helps prevent a fall. It also decreases your risk for a back injury while you help the person move or walk.
What kinds of gait belts are used?
Usually a gait belt is about 1½ to 4 inches (3.8 to 10 centimeters) wide and 54 to 60 inches (137 to 152 centimeters) long. The belt is made of canvas, nylon, or leather with a buckle at one end. Several kinds of gait belts are available. The person's healthcare provider can help decide which gait belt to use.
How do I use a gait belt?
- Put the belt around the person's waist over his clothing with the buckle in front.
- Thread the belt through the teeth of the buckle. Put the belt through the other 2 loops to lock it.
- Be sure the belt is snug with just enough room to get your fingers under it.
- Grip the belt tightly, bend your knees, and keep your back straight.
- Lift or move the person with your arm and leg muscles. Do not use your back muscles.
- Do not twist your body when you move or lift the person.
- When you are done moving or walking with the person, remove the gait belt.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.