User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 22 reviews 77 medications

7.5
Obesity 1 reviews 60 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 468 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

For Depression: "Prescribed for depression and possible cataplexy?/falling. Since taking this I feel better and normal. It's great and normal side effects. First few days I was a little jittery and shaky but that subsided. Helps me with fighting depression a lot. So glad something works since no antidepressant did."

Kay_22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 18 years old and have been prescribed 74mg of concerta a day. 3 pills in the morning and one in the afternoon if needed. I had been diagnosed with serve ADHD and this drug has changed the way I learn and study dramatically. It's amazing how confident and focused I am now. I always feel so good on it too, until I'm starving to death. Concerta absolutely kills your appetite. Sad part is I can not even force myself to eat and it has already taken a tole on my weight. I have always been insecure with my body so it is nice losing the extra pounds, however I don't enjoy talking to anyone at school anymore. Even though I feel good all during the school day, I am quiet and hungry."

EmmaJB February 12, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking concerta for 3 years now and I'm 18. I started out with 18mg and slowly went up to 54mg. My grades went from really low to average in weeks but the side effects are really crappy. I have troubles sleeping at night and I feel things that aren't there. I also have a big loss of appetite and have to force myself to eat sometimes. I have days where I get really depressed to the point that I don't want to get out of bed and do anything. I also feel really anxious and on edge and I start scratching/ picking at my skin which gave me scars all over my back. I thought about it and went off the pill and my grades suddenly dropped again. The pill really does help with focus and motivation but the side effects are really tough!!!"

Catt11 February 8, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Found out I had ADHD my sophomore year & was put on this pill. Started at 36mg and I could definitely see changes. Very moody, could not go to sleep at night, I always so jumpy and on the go, but I will have to say it helped A LOT with my troubles on paying attention in school. Went from D's & F's to an honor roll student. The only thing that's really scary for most people is the weight loss it can cause. I weighed 130 my freshman year and in the middle of my junior year I was 94 pounds. So you really have to watch that!"

krako19 February 5, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking daytrana since 2010 it works great but now I have partial heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. I didn't abuse the patch I took one 30mg patch a day! I'm 35 and now it doesn't work like it use to because of one side effect that it gave me so yes use with caution and don't use it everyday if you don't have to!"

lovedove (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have mixed feelings on Ritalin I am 16 years old Diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and ADD. I started taking 20mg in the morning, After about 10 minutes I would start feeling it, i felt full of energy and moderately euphoric. I don't know if this is a "Normal" reaction but it would make me feel almost manic like. But all in all the effects were helpful! When I would usually just sit on my computer the Ritalin somehow made work enjoyable. I hated math but when on Ritalin and in school it was interesting even fun! it made everything feel positive and perfect. The reason I don't give it a 10 is because it only lasts for 3-4 hours. The comedown from this drug is quite terrible. And it gave me some annoying tics."

Anonononononnn February 1, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I started on 10mg short acting. I'm in the process of finding something different. I'm a student and in a competitive feild studying nursing . I'm a busy person and this didn't help me in any way except for test cramming and homework. It would last about 2 hours and if I wasn't done with my work I needed to take another. Doctor said use it on an as needed basis . But I want something that will help me through the day. Help me focus on everything I need to do in the day. I can't take this short acting stuff, because when it wears off I'm nervous and I feel cloudy minded and weird. I don't want to be around people at this time because I feel off. I'm going back to the doc on Monday. I heard adderal doesn't have the nervousness sideeffects"

Student 1982 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This medicine worked well . I didn't have that many side effects. I took adderall and this one was much better ."

Tigereye100 January 31, 2016

For Depression: "Ritalin has helped greatly with breakthrough depression, however, the effects are not as predictable as I expected. I'm on a generic. It helps the morning depression, which is the worst. However, sometimes it seems to vary in its ability to get me going."

Kd55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

For Depression: "I've gone through a whole slew of antidepressants over the last years, and the only things that had helped at all were Wellbutrin (barely any improvement, but some) and Abilify (great improvement that completely disappeared after 2 months). Finally my doctor put me on methylphenidate, currently up to 60mg a day and while it's not a magic cure all it's been a fairly decent improvement and it's lasted for almost 4 months now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

For ADHD: "Been taking this for 2 months. I've tried nearly every other ADHD med. I take IR Methylphenidate 10mgs BID. Although it helps w/ concentration and motivation in my day to day activities, there are downsides. Pros: %u2022very cheap %u2022 makes me feel the best, I genuinely enjoy learning and taking notes in class, among other things %u2022helps w/ Social Anxiety Disorder, I'm more talkative CONS: %u2022Increases impulsivity (e.g. Online shopping, among other things) %u2022depresses me, makes me more suicidal %u2022terrible drop off when meds wear off, intense anxiety and depression... Personally, side effects are too dangerous for me and outweigh the pros. Hope this helps"

Foxtrot80 January 11, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADD at the end of grade 6 and started taking concerta in grade 7. I had no idea I had ADD and just though everyone was like me. I had no enthusiasm anything with school but after I took concerta I was like ADHD. So much hyperness and wanting to work. After raising the dose to 36mg I started to get very anxious about my heart feeling like it was beating too fast and was having like a panic attack or something so then I dropped back down to 27mg. The side affects I have is weight loss/loss of appitite, heart palpitations, sleep paraylisis, feelings of excitement. It works for me but I hate the side affects. I also lost 5lbs in one week when I first started and 20lbs in 2 years."

Pianogirl101 January 9, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking this for 10 years (started at 18 mg, went up to 36 mg). Recently (several months ago), I developed several horrible side-effects. For example: it made me feel nervous. I could not keep still. It also made me extra irritable (to the point I was yelling at my friends for the littlest things). I also felt depressed (to the point I did not want to get out of bed at all) and could not sleep. The doctor brought me down to 18 mg, symptoms did not improve. I immediately stopped taking this and felt 100% better the next day. The doctor put me on Adderall XR which works a lot better with very little side-effects. Please avoid Concerta if possible."

Anonymous January 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This is not the drug for everyone. I was absolutely miserable on Concerta. I was restless, anxious, needy, fidgety, irritable, and depressed. My psychiatric practitioner attempted to cure these symptoms by prescribing higher doses. I eventually had a meltdown. As soon as I stopped, it was like I was instantly better. I know this drug works wonders for some people, but please be careful."

AbiK January 5, 2016

Methylin ER (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "After 20 years of seeing psychiatrists, I was finally correctly diagnosed with ADD. My life completely normalized soon after starting this drug. I took every antidepressant known to man with no results. If you change jobs, friends, wives, more often than your motor oil, ADD may be your issue too. I have suffered with this for 49 years now I feel like what I assumed normal people feel like. I thank my lucky stars every day for this wonder drug. Only reason I rated a 9 was because of the dry mouth it gives me, but a small price to pay for the benefits received."

Cornchex January 2, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I started taking Daytrana a few days ago. It is mostly good but my only problem is my loss in appetite. For the past two days I've really only eaten breakfast and that's when I just put the patch on. I have barely eaten anything besides little spoonfuls of soup and Mac and cheese."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have my son on weekend's and he never seems to want to sleep and he is skin and bones he is rarely hungry?"

chase mother December 27, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been using Concerta for 15 days now. I started out with 18mg for a week and the second week 36mg. I haven't seen any difference by now, which is very dissappointing for me. In fact I feel slighly extra depressed than I already am, but no big difference. Starting tommorow my doctor told me to take 54mg per day. Any suggestions? Is it too soon to see any difference?"

lunalovegood (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am in grade 12 and I have been on concerta since grade 3. I have noticed I am underweight and I have trouble sleeping at night. But concerta has helped me focus in school, but I just wish it didn't come with some of the side effects."

Julie247 December 20, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I don't feel right, I can't focus, I don't want to workout which I love to do, I don't want to drum which i love doing too. I felt great on biphentin despite the anger I tried concerta for a day and hated it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

For ADHD: "I've had ADD my whole life and just started take this year I'm 19. Pros- You take it in about 30mins it kicks in Your heart starts pounding you feel a high and then you can focus on something for about 2-3 hour Cons- It makes you focus on one thing so if you want to do anything else you can't It gets rid of your hunger Give you horrible headaches Makes you mad at anything when it wears off Makes you want to take more and more to feel that high again I really don't recommend it."

Renightsa (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was prescribed this at the age of five. It work well on his ADHD, the bad thing about it was that it made his see things that weren't there. He would hallucinate very badly. So we had him taken off and was put on a new medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been using Ritalin for 5 years, at first it helped me in social situations. Now I use it to concentrate. The 40mg capsule with release holds for 7 hours, only downside is that I loose my appetite for those 7 hours. I went from being an almost dropout in elementary to a high achiever in high school. Now I am in university and ritalin definitely helped me."

bror95 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 10, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "The only reason I gave Concerta a 2 and not a 0, was because when I didn't take it for two days I could feel myself going through a withdrawal. I would begin to feel tired, annoyed and angered easily, some headaches, and so on. I have been on Concerta for about 13 years and even with it in my system I still struggled in school. At first they had me on smaller doses, but they had to be increased. I've been taking 108mg each morning and the only thing that I have noticed a difference in is the withdrawal I go through, which can be helped by drinking coffee. By the way, I'm currently on the drug right now and I'm supposed to be studying for my spanish exam that I have this afternoon. So if that doesn't tell you something then idk what will."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2015

For Depression: "The only disappointments I've had with my Concerta (methylphenidate extended release) are its high cost and its propensity to become ineffective after one to two years. Otherwise, this is an excellent drug that should be used more often for difficult depression. It's made me feel like a functional human being again."

TheInsecureFrog (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 6, 2015