User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 10 reviews 75 medications

7.5
Fatigue 2 reviews 0 medications

7.3
Obesity 1 reviews 54 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 351 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Review by eeehhhh (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Intensified anxiety, and taken with Abilify I did not know if I was hungry for a long time. My weight went up and down, and I stayed on the same dose for 9 years. It made no sense. In hindsight, the Abilify was merely treating symptoms caused by side effects of Concerta. I would encourage everyone who has been ignored when they asked mental health professionals for help, to also encourage careful review and make informed decisions about medications. Educate yourself!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by FET:

For Depression: I have suffered from severe depression most of my life (I am 58) 20 yrs ago I was put on Ritalin. It changed my outlook and life virtually overnight. In these 20 years I also took a variety of antidepressants. None very effective. Psychotherapy and Ritalin were together the cornerstone of my care and made a normal life possible.

October 4, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by agmag:

For Narcolepsy: I am 30. I have narcolepsy, fibromyalgia and severe rheumatoid arthritis that is also in my organs. I take 20mg every 4 hours up to 4 times a day. It takes 30min to kick in, and wears off in 2 hours. Without it, I felt like I had to curl up on ground wherever I was at or I wouldn't "make it." With the medicine, I feel totally exhausted, but it takes the edge off the urgency to lay down. I have been on it for 2 1/2 years. Docs wan't me off it (since it's a stimulant) and wants me on Nuvigil. I took one pill 150mg with Ritalin, seemed to help but it's been one day (tapering off Ritalin). Ued to fall asleep driving every day working full time. Now work part time and take methylphenidate and don't fall asleep driving (that I know of).

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 3:23 AM

Review by Vin9321:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: If you have ADHD, pills like Strattera (non-stimulant) do not seem to work. You do need a stimulant. Concerta is amazing medication. I used to be on it from 2nd grade all the way until 9th. Looking back now, at 21 years old, I see that after I stopped it in high school, my grades dropped. Just started taking the average adult dose of 36mgs and it has really helped me in class, although there isn't an insane change. MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A DECENT MEAL OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If you don't, you'll find yourself with an upset stomach for a lot of the day.

September 17, 2014 5:52 PM

Review by Johnnie2:

For Depression: I have been on numerous antidepressants that seem to wear out over time. I last had this experience with paroxetine. My doctor suggested Ritalin as an aid to make the paroxetine work better. What a world of difference! There's not much information out there about this, and I am sure there must be downsides. This works for me like nothing else. I am very careful with it, but I feel there are more upsides than otherwise.

August 3, 2014 12:19 PM

Review by tachy-heart:

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 11 year old took 3 doses. On the 4th day she woke up (10:15am) feeling weak and dizzy. She came to me and told me her heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest. Her heart rate was 100. It remained elevated for about an hour. The MD could not see her until 2pm. By then her heart rate was 88. She was diagnosed with dehydration.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by sapnacpatel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: It helps, but not for very long. But it definitely doesn't make me as irritable as other ADHD medications

July 9, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Honeypot500:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Took 18mg Concerta for 5 days. On day two, I woke up and cleaned and tidied the whole house, my partner thought something was wrong with me! Then the side effects came... Nausea, depression, anxiety. By the time I was coming down at around 3pm I had to stay at home, I was unable to drive my car or even just go out. My doc wanted to try me on 5mg Ritalin 3x a day quick release but I refused. After reading the reviews on here about dexamphetamine I started them this morning. 5mg 3x a day. Hopefully this will be the one for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been taking Concerta for the past 14 years since it came out (24 now) and I don't plan on changing unless I'm forced. I've tried other medications and none work as well with as few side effects. Right now I take the 54mg. Sure I experience some side effects, but I've learned to manage them over the years (force myself to eat etc). The treatment of ADD/ADHD is only effective through a multifaceted approach, medication AND counseling/therapy/behavior coaching. Without Concerta I would never have made it through school or had successful relationships. ADD makes life hard, but with the right combination of treatments it is more than manageable.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Dkitten (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am suffering from depression and SAD + ADHD. On Concerta now and it makes an amazing impact on my depression - I had no idea that would happen. I don't know if it's common but I'm very pleased!

June 25, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by Frederickrrorodkfkfkfk:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: It makes me sweat a lot and have panic attacks.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 10:05 AM

Review by Flosa (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son has been taking Ritalin for around 6-8 months and the difference in him is just unbelievable, he's school work has improved, he's spelling and comprehension has gotten a lot better and he has excelled in maths and can actually remembers what he has learnt. He socially gets along better with other children and is less destructive when in a group setting. I was very hesitant to put my son on meds but now realise I made the best choice for him.

June 17, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by K in Alaska:

For ADHD: About the only form of a stimulant that works without a crash. This medication does help my to start and stay on a task until finished. It also stops the endless chatter in my head, known as ruminating thoughts. This medication also helps me to sleep and at times will put me to sleep

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Review by thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Took it from 7-12 years old. When stopped, grades went down and gained weight. Taking it now again at 21. My gosh. First day back on it and wow.

June 4, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by csimiami31 (taken for 10 years or more):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: It has literally made me who I am. If I didn't take it I wouldn't focus, I wouldn't pass school. It helps a lot.

June 3, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by Bowzer73:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 7 year old son has been on the 15mg patch going on his 4th month now and it has been a God send. He went from a C and D student at the start of the school year to an almost straight A student at the end. I have found that if I use adhesive remover and out a little lotion on the site after removal it manages the irritation. It definitely affects his appetite but no more so than any of the other medications that he has been on. Night and Day difference for us.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by ajj123 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I started Concerta when I was in 7th grade. I am now 14 and I started off with 36mg now I am 54mg at first I had a big boost in my grades! I started getting A's! This year I have been noticing in school that I have been more anxious, depressed, not hungry during the day, and a little bit socially awkward. I am trying to deal with my side effects. I am going to doctor soon about Concerta. You are not alone

May 22, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by reg428:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This Patch is amazing. For those of you having trouble removing the backing, just put patch in fridge for a while, or over night. We just keep the box in the fridge. Peels off nice and easy. And the cold patch helps with the itching.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 7:41 AM

Review by Martine81:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD at 5. My friends, society along with my own guilt made me feel like a horrible mom for considering meds. Kind of was horrible for my son he hated school and cried to not go. 1st was a constant struggle and when we started trying different medicines. They all turned him in the "zombie" you hear about. I stopped trying medicines and thought we would just have to deal with 3-4 hours of homework a night. In 2nd grade we heard about Daytrana. My son made a huge improvement in school. His teacher (who is wonderful) was amazed by his focus in class. My son went from being an intelligent child who could not focus to an exceptional student. The red marks caused by the patch are hard to see as a parent, but my sons self worth out ways them.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Vegemite:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am 34 years old. I started with 27mg. Over several weeks I worked up to 36mg in morning, then 10mg in mid afternoon. My husband has seen an improvement in my mood. I feel less angry and better able to cope with daily life. I stay awake during the day now (I was very fatigued pre-Concerta and sleeping a lot). I am sleeping the best I ever have at night. My mind doesn't race as much as it used to. I still experience anxiety, but it hasn't increased since Concerta. I get more headaches and I seem to continuously suck and rub my tongue on the inside of my mouth. It annoys me and causes tongue ulcers, but I guess it is a small price to pay.

May 11, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Abby165 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I was diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade and put on 20mg of Concerta which has since risen to 54mg extended release in the day and 10mg immediate release in the evening for when I do my homework. At first the medicine was great- it allowed me to focus and my grades went up significantly. However over the past year or so I have been experiencing negative side effects such as depression, headaches, and loss of appetite. I can manage the headaches and appetite problems but as for the depression, it is so bad that I am considering switching to another brand or changing my dose because when I am on Concerta I become virtually emotionless, and as a result I am struggling to maintain good relationships with my friends and family members.

May 5, 2014 6:16 AM

Review by djmaster728 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been on over half of the ADHD medications on the list, and all of them either made it worse, or added on to the tic the first medication gave me. I started taking Concerta about two years ago, and I remember improving in school greatly. It works fast, and helps a lot

May 2, 2014 11:18 AM

Review by kat9593 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I found this medication helped me the most through high school. Right through my senior year I found I didn't need to even study my notes much because, when I took Concerta, I was so focused that I remembered everything said in class on my own. The main downside taking this as a student is that it wears off by the time you get home, so doing homework seems impossible -- same with studying. After I graduated high school though, I noticed Concerta started giving me symptoms of depression and worsening my anxiety to an awful point. Ultimately my doctor cut me off Concerta due to those emotional side effects.

April 30, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by willlkl;asjdf ;ajdslf;;:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My experience with Concerta has been amazing. I am 12 and this has helped me deal with bullying, anger issues, and lack of focus. I have learned that just because you are ADHD does not mean you can't have a normal life. I recommend this to anybody who is ashamed by their weight, has trouble focusing, and has anxiety issues but make sure to eat regularly because Concerta makes it so you don't know if you are hungry or not.

April 11, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by PJ4793 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I call this my miracle. It saved my sanity. We weren't having success with anything! Wow! Love this patch! Young girl went from running around the house getting into one thing after another, to finally being able to sit down and play video games. Side effects-she could just peel it off! Itching where applied, seems to subside the longer you wear it. Gets red, irritated in that spot. Alternate hips. NO APPETITE until medicine wore off. I served breakfast at 4am to get 3 meals a day. Dinner 1 1/2 - 2 hours after removing patch and lunch if you want to call it that around 8am. It was worth it to me to save my sanity. Patch does take 2 hrs to kick in. Lasts well over an hour after you remove it. Left on longer than recommended on many occasions.

April 10, 2014 2:52 PM