User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 7 reviews 75 medications

Narcolepsy 25 reviews 13 medications

7.9
ADHD 291 reviews 62 medications

7.5
Fatigue 2 reviews 0 medications

7.3
Obesity 1 reviews 54 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 326 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Review by willlkl;asjdf ;ajdslf;;: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My experience with Concerta has been amazing. I am 12 and this has helped me deal with bullying, anger issues, and lack of focus. I have learned that just because you are ADHD does not mean you can't have a normal life. I recommend this to anybody who is ashamed by their weight, has trouble focusing, and has anxiety issues but make sure to eat regularly because Concerta makes it so you don't know if you are hungry or not.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 11:26 PM
Review by nursebunney (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 4th grade son began taking Concerta 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has been the best decision I ever made. His teacher says he is a completely different child. His funny personality remains but he is on task, finishes all his homework in class, and actually tells other children to quite down. I lamented for many, many months about whether or not to have him begin a stimulant. It is obvious that it was the right decision. I make sure he eats a hearty breakfast. He knows he needs to push himself to eat something at lunch and drink plenty of fluids. He did tell me he felt "prickles in his head" for the first 2 days. His teacher reported he was a little tired for a couple days as well. He says his mind is more clear and "not so jumbled". We're thrilled

March 18, 2014 11:42 PM
Review by ADHD MOM: User Rating:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son is 7 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD and is using Daytrana 10mg which has been the BEST so far! After applying the patch, it takes a couple of hours for the medicine to start working. I noticed that if I place the patch on his hip, but closer to his butt it is more effective. (my doctor said that other parents had noticed that the placement of the patch makes a difference). At school he is able to control his impulses, focus and most importantly still be a 7 year old boy (not a zombie). The only downfalls to this medication is that he does not have an appetite (most of these meds cause this) & the area where you place the patch can get red and itchy. I rotate where I place the patch and use baby oil to remove the adhesive

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2014 9:15 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 7 year old grandson has had great progress in school on Metadate 20 mg combined with 2 mg Guanfacine. He is focused and homework time and evenings are fine. The only drawback is he's very grouchy and uncooperative when he wakes up. He has very little appetite until late evening and everyday at school his belly hurts.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 7, 2014 9:29 PM
Review by SammyW (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son is 11 and has been taking Metadate CD for 4 years. He is now taking 30mg in the morning. He is very thin and has no appetite during the day, but when his appetite comes back at bedtime we always let him eat as much as he wants. When he doesn't take this medication he says he can't do any of his work at school so we feel it really benefits him. He still has a lot of trouble with disorganization and being moody and sometimes aggressive, especially in the evenings when he is coming down off the medicine. He also has some headaches still, but not too much trouble sleeping. His behavior and ability to finish his school work all depend on whether he has had his medication though.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 10:59 AM
Review by What's More Important? (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 13 year old son, and 9 year old daughter both have been diagnosed with ADHD. I, nor my husband could wrap our minds around our kids taking medicine, but were forced to give it a try. My son started taking Concerta when he was in 4th grade, and my daughter started taking Vyvanse in the 3rd grade.The results were amazing! Their handwriting went from sloppy to super neat, reading skills increased, grades were mostly A's...and many more great results! The bad part about the pills are that they have SO many side effects that were making them seem like totally different people! They were skinny, depressed, had Insomnia, headaches, twitching, and angry. We withdrew both from public school and started Homeschool. Now learning at our own pace!

January 27, 2014 5:30 PM
Review by Tyjohn95: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: IT MAKES ME DEPRESSED. Yes it helps me focus, and it helps me with my school work, but when I am on Concerta I am 100% emotionless and it is the worst feeling I have ever experienced. Constant depression until it wears off later in the night time.

January 27, 2014 3:38 PM
Review by Van Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son started on Concerta about a year ago. It has transformed his life. I don't like giving medicine but I have tried absolutely everything else - swimming, brain gymnastics etc.. nothing really helped. He is naturally bright but just couldn't concentrate - particularly when it came to classroom work and focusing on a project involving writing. The transformation has been incredible. He had an excellent school report in every area. His teachers are thrilled, he is confident and happy and enjoys school. He doesn't take Concerta in the holidays or at weekends and manages fine going back on it on a Monday morning. Only one side effect which is lack of appetite. We ensure he goes to school with a good breakfast and then he has a huge meal when he gets home.

January 23, 2014 1:17 PM
Review by Anonymous1013: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been on Concerta since I was about 13 (I'm 22 now). When I first started the medication I experienced a fair amount of weight loss. Overall, Concerta has truly changed my life and made me a more focused student. Since I've been on it for so long, I have learned to manage side effects but some that have been ongoing are: upset stomach right after taking the medication (due to the stimulant effects and lack of food), slight headaches, jitters, binging when the medication wears off, and occasional paranoia. When first beginning the medication, remember to force yourself to have some caloric in-take even if it is just a smoothie. This has been life-changing, but please remember to balance out your diet.

January 8, 2014 6:11 PM
Review by mamaessp: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My daughter was finally diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive-type at age 16 after a lot of stress regarding high school academics and feeling "dumb." Concerta has been nothing short of a miracle for her. She finally ended up on the 54mg dosage and does very well. The only side effect she has had is loss of appetite which she now knows to eat a healthy/big breakfast before her medication in the morning. She then eats a normal dinner. She has occasionally had insomnia if she takes her medication later in the morning or if she has accidentally had caffeine. Overall, she is in a good groove with this medication and her SAT score went from 1600 to 2000 after medication and a prep course; GPA from 3.3 to 3.9.

December 6, 2013 1:37 PM
Review by onit456383: User Rating:

methylphenidate for Narcolepsy: Works great. Took a long time to get it right. I use Nuvigil daily and Ritalin 20mg three times a day. It is sad and depressing but with the right dose and proper nutrition. Things can get better. Bad part is and it's hard to do....stop driving! I can't believe I drove! I am thankful I did not kill someone falling asleep. How could my loved ones let me drive? Don't drive until you are confident your meds are straight consistently.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 28, 2013 5:11 AM
Review by cherrymom (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have 3 children, 2 of whom are on Concerta. We have tried many things prior to this and nothing has worked quite as well.

November 24, 2013 10:27 AM
Review by Morte (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This medicine is incredible. I've had ADD for about 20 years, as long as I've been alive and college has exacerbated the condition, so my neurologist prescribed Ritalin to me. This starts to wear off after about 2.5-3.0 hours, but it works absolute MIRACLES. The whole time before, whenever I tried to work, it was like I was seeing the world through warped glasses and my mind was just foggy, like it was full of ice and cotton, but now the entire world is beautifully, wonderfully clear! This is truly an amazing medicine, but be sure to follow your doctor's orders with it, as it can have side effects.

November 20, 2013 12:29 PM
Review by Moona: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm a 15 year old girl who started off with Vyvanse for a year but became anorexic. I switched off to Concerta! The first couple of years I felt so amazing because I have never experienced what it felt like to succeed after trying so much. Then I got to High School. My meds ended a relationship. I was always paranoid and extremely nervous. I am like a robot now. I'm either extremely emotionless, really mad, or really paranoid. My friends tell me that it's like talking to a stranger. I get frustrated so easily and don't care about anyone or anything around me. I don't want to be taken off my meds because I'm really successful. But should I really have to choose between my loved ones and school. I shouldn't have to pick.

November 15, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by Anonymous15635: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I would recommend this medication ONLY if you are 100% positive you need medication, by that I mean teachers and family recognizing the issue. My mom finally decided to give me concerta during early middle school after my teachers advised it for a few years. I recommend beginning with 9 mg and slowly going up if needed. This medication is horrible in my life in the sense that I feel like I need it to do good in school, especially now I'm in college. But it causes me to be incredibly depressed. I continue to take it because grades are first, but for kids I recommend keeping a very close eye on them and follow up on depression issues because as a kid in middle school, it was horrible.

November 12, 2013 11:35 AM
Review by Mommyandson (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 6. I was extremely against trying medications, but after an extremely difficult kindergarten and start of first grade, I decided that it was worth looking into. My son was miserable, and it broke my heart to see him coming home everyday in tears. We tried a variety of behavioral interventions, but nothing worked and my son was not happy. We decided, based on a friend's advice (her daughter had success with concerta) to give it a shot. OMG! It was like night and day! Slight decrease in appetite initially, but other than that, it's been a godsend. Wishing all you parents the same success we had!!!!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 5, 2013 1:32 AM
Review by George2013 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My current dosage to treat ADHD and depression is 37 mg slow release twice daily, morning and noon. Although the medicine does not completely relieve my ADD behavior (distraction, sillyness, loud speaking, impulsive acts, lack of sustained focus, poor listening skills) it does permit my mind to focus better and to self regulate my actions. I am also doing therapy and my wife spends a great deal of her considerable intelligence and thoughtfulness to improving my mental health and in consequence, our married life. The medication certainly helps to motivate for work, meeting and talking with people, and generally feeling a sense of my ability to function.

November 4, 2013 4:52 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am 15 and have been on Concerta since 6th grade I have never really felt any side effects besides loss of appetite in the afternoon. But just last year I started getting muscle spasms and I began to zone out often at school. Even more recently I have began to have trouble with sleep and slight depression. I have tried getting the concerta switched for something else but its the only medicine that helps me focus in school and help me get good grades. I mean don't get me wrong it helps a lot but I'm not sure why I'm just getting these side effects

October 29, 2013 4:51 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm in my mid 30's & was diagnosed with ADHD approx 4 months ago. I started on 10 mg 2x a day & am currently on 20 mg 3 x a day. I tried Daytrana, the Ritalin patch, but it made me aggressive & hungry! In less than a month I had gained 20 lbs. I'm back on the pill & so far I love it! I wish I had this back in school! Unfortunately my mom wasn't a believer in ADHD. I am calmer, can think rationally vs going straight off emotions, the racing thoughts have ceased & I can complete tasks I start now. It's also given me more motivation in my life. Before Ritalin I was ready to give up on life & did nothing. I can now take care of responsibilities! My mood has even improved & my patience with my children & people in General has vastly improved.

October 29, 2013 12:11 PM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: What can I say, dx with mild ADD too (who isn't anymore) But this taken with Effexor XR has helped very much with apathy, motivation, energy and enjoyment of life! Dr.'s reluctantly Rx this bc it is Schedule 2 substance and is mostly Rx'd for ADD/ADHD but it has a profound effect in boosting the effects of an antidepressant. Taken alone for depression? Not really a good idea bc it wears off fast. I take 20-30 mg a day (TID)

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2013 1:14 PM
Review by Katfr: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: took this halfway through 10th grade to through summer. First experience after being diagnosed with add so in attention without being hyper. No motavation from this almost made me feel worse with serve exaustion and depression I felt like every day was a chore and I wasn't as happy I used to be and my friends said I wasn't as free spirited or fun. Gave me social anxiety also and shaking. I would highy recommend adderall xr I switched to it and got none of the side effects but all of the results. I feel like I can function and am more social than even without medicine and I also can plan out my thoughts and lists of what I have to do and homework. Concerta sucks take adderall instead

October 27, 2013 9:20 PM
Review by karinos:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: We just picked up the Daytrana patch tonight and plan to try it in the morning. My son is 15 and has been on ADD medications since he was 6. Metidate was awful -- caused anger and dark moods. We switched to Focalin XR twice a day (which I highly recommend for those of you who are still searching for the right medication) and has been absolutely wonderful for the past 6 or 7 years. It made him feel loving and gentle, which is his nature. Just recently, he seemed to outgrow his dosage, and through tests of different dosages, we have reached the max he should take, which, by the way, is usually not what the insurance company limits are, so find a good ADD doctor who knows his stuff. Keep at it until you find the right med and dosage.

October 23, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by meyotch (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Methylin ER (methylphenidate) for Depression: I've been diagnosed with ADD at the age of 42 and have struggled with major depression since adolescence. I currently take 10mg Methylin ER and 150mg bupropion XL in the morning. In the evenings I take 50mg of trazadone for sleep. 3 weeks now and I have never felt better. The adjustment period was pretty mild. Just a bit 'jazzed' in the morning and very mild nausea in the evening. This gradually faded over a week. My appetite is returning, my diet improving and I am reconnecting socially. My sleep is good and I awaken fully alert with the sunrise. I can't believe how dramatic this change is. I am optimistic that I will be able to dig myself out of the hole I've been in and re-build a life.

October 21, 2013 11:47 PM
Review by ADHD for 22 years (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm 31 and diagnosed with ADHD for 23 years. When my parents started me on Ritalin in 3rd grade their only regret was letting me struggle for so long. I was always being sent home from school for playing in the mud, walking out of class, etc. I was talkative and happy, but my grades were well below satisfactory - I had very few teachers encourage me, rather I was written off as a disruption. My first year on medication was hard, I had no appetite and trouble sleeping. After about 6 months all the side effects went away. I could eat and sleep no problem. I have been on Adderal now for 17 years. I graduated college, have amazing job - not sure where I would be if nobody saw the signs and helped.

October 13, 2013 9:07 PM
Review by Experience with Concerta: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in the 2nd grade and her doctor and I discussed different medications and settled on Concerta. Grades were never a problem, but behavior and socialization were. She hated the medication and would spit it out or hide it. It gave her headaches, loss of appetite and sleep loss. Eventually she began taking it regularly and began to do well in school. The behavior problems ceased as well as socialization. She took this medication for about 2 years and then I decided to pull her off. Her teacher didn't even notice and thought she was still taking the medication because she was so well adjusted and presented no serious issues. She never took meds again and learned to cope. She has ADHD but manages it other ways.

October 1, 2013 4:24 PM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next

Living with Advanced MS? View our 7 part video series and learn more. Click Here