User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 24 reviews 79 medications

7.5
Obesity 1 reviews 60 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 491 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Life saver"

Kie Kie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

For ADHD: "Work ok. Longer time to kick in but not a terrible crash. The yellow 20s work the best for me. I never knew what was wrong with me until I was diagnosed at 25(30 now). Overall they do the job"

906rules (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

For ADHD: "I've been on this medication for over six months now for my severe ADHD. I take it as needed to get my studying done. Usually 10mg two or three times a day does the trick nicely. Before starting Ritalin I failed miserably at college and could never focus or study for more than 1 minute. Now I get near perfect scores across all my subjects. I take it in the evening (after 7pm) as this is when I get my work done. Also I experience no comedown or crash when I take it in the evening. This medication literally saved my life allowing me to continue my studies and pursue my interests. It hasn't lost it's effectiveness in over six months and I have very little side effects. God bless Novartis for inventing this life changing drug."

John1828 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

Ritalin-SR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Updated since my last report. I tried 1-20mg & 1- 10mg; 4 hours later 1-20mg; 4 hours later 1-10mg. Been trying this for a couple weeks & so far it is working fine, from the time I wake up till the time I hit the hay."

Beebop56 (taken for 10 years or more) April 19, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Iv'e been on comcerta 2 weeks now n just gone up to 36mg I've had ADHD all my life and only just been diagnosed, always wondered why I can be anything I want end up going off the rails! Anyways this medication has basically changed me in a good way, I think if u really have ADHD this medication works n only doesn't work when u haven't got it! First week struggled sleeping but fine now, n theres no loss on my appetite I just don't crave the sugar n junk food that I used to so its a win win for me coz I'm a boxer and been in sport all my life! I can focus proper n its basically a miracle, for me, so far like :)"

micky2016 April 14, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am an adult female. I was prescribed 10 mg once a day. My counselor advised my Behavioral Health MD to treat me for possible ADD/ADHD. I'm also taking clonopin and Ambien, which might account for my reaction- Ritalin made me sleepy and kind of depressed! I was really surprised, as I'd never heard of that reaction. Also taking Lamictal and Trileptal for bipolar. Hm.... I sure would like to know if others have this reaction, or if upping the dose would possibly make me not so depressed."

msluckey1 April 10, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I take the generic form of Ritalin. I have actually lost weight and appetite with this medication. I also have Bipolar Depression, PTSD,social anxiety, and Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability(formerly called or known as intellectual disability or mental retardation: I use a much more updated suitable labelling of disability. I am actually too advanced and higher functioning. In some cases GLD is more proper or acceptable for me.) My medication does in fact help. I also take Vistaril. I actually had ADD/ADHD symptoms as child growing up that might have caused G.L.D., linking it to a chemical imbalance of the brain equals intellectual disturbance. So people maybe undersigned for certain conditions."

Ashley Nave April 7, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Diagnosed in 1992 ADHD & prescribed Ritalin. Before I took Ritalin, I was forgetful, daydreamed, moody, couldn't focus for long, did soft drugs, drank alcohol, smoked cigs., and was negative minded. Now, I do none of the above. It makes me feel motivated to go to work, everyday, and I read novels from page 1 to the last page. Before, I never had the patience to read past page 1. My Doc. prescribes me 60 mg. per day. To start my day, I take 1- SR20mg. with 1-10mg; then 4hrs. later, I take 1-10mg.; then 4hrs. later I take 1-SR20mg. The problem is, after the first 8hrs., I know I need a 10mg. for the next 4hrs. But my Doc. won't prescribe me over 60mg. per day cause he thinks that is the max. per day allowed. Any suggestions?"

Beebop56 April 6, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been on this medication since I was 9 I'm 21 now. I've always had trouble in school and it has helped me a lot to concentrate but without it I can't focus at all. I became too dependent on it so now that I am in college I cannot study or find any kind of motivation to stay focused if I'm not on it. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't make me depressed. Recently in this past year I've been taking it almost every day again and have been feeling sad for no reason, always thinking negative and very irritable until I put two and two together. Now trying to get off once I am done with school next month for good."

Jenna D. April 1, 2016

For Depression: "Doing fine after taking Ritalin since 1992. I no longer do soft drugs, nor drink alcohol, and quit smoking, all since 2003. Helps me focus better and helps me have a positive frame of mind. Before taking Ritalin, I couldn't focus long enough to get past the first page of a novel. Now, I read novels consistently. When I started taking it in 92, I lost my appetite and couldn't sleep much, but I eventually adjusted to it. I have tried Dexedrine, Concerta, fish oil, herbs, magnesium, etc., but nothing comes close to it. I invented a board game as well."

Beebop56 (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "This med is not good. It doesn't work it only last 7 hours I'm taking ritalin also 10mg, and 54mg of concerta. I will not recomemnd it ialso take ritalin for 3 years and it does not last long no good ."

Omtc (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have suffered from ADHD since childhood. After trying several medications, Ritalin is the only one that continues to work for me."

Howechick (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

For ADHD: "I started taking methylphenidate six years ago, when I was eleven. I started at 20MG a day in the morning, with food. When I started taking it, I was informed about the side effects and I knew one of them was weight loss. When I was 11 I was about 5'6" and 125 pounds. I ended up losing about 20 pounds in the first 3 months of taking methylphenidate. The doctors tested my blood for celiac disease which came back negative. (Turned positive three years later in my stomach.) The doctors came to their conclusion that my weight loss was a side effect of taking methylphenidate. That was the only bad experience taking methylphenidate, I'm still on it, now at 40MG in the morning, with food."

Aryana H. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 23, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was first given Ritalin at 6 years old. Ritalin made it hard for me to sleep. Being on Ritalin made me feel nauseous. Ritalin caused tremors in my arms. Being forced to take Ritalin made me self-conscious. Ritalin increased my anxiety. My anxiety turned into panic attacks so I was prescribed with antidepressants like Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I was also prescribed with Lamictal, an anti-convulsant. For me, Ritalin was the "gateway drug.""

Sarare (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Horrible. In my 30s going to a high demanding graduate school. Helped me early on in undergrad but now after all these years i hate it. My family gets the worse of it as i am always pissed off and irritable while on it and cant think clear without it. Its a double edged sword. Waiting for the day i can say FU to this horrible man made addiction."

Biggyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

For Depression: "It has changed my life. I have been more active and focused on my goals. I am taking 70 mg of it a day. None of the ordinary antidepressant has helped me to overcome my depression. I have had a problem with substance abuse . So my Dopamine level was so low since then."

samboy1980 March 12, 2016

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 2 years ago at the age of 33. I probably suffered for 15 years before diagnoses. Provigil/nivigil is extremely effective for me throughout the day but getting out of bed was still a battle that I often lost. I take my first dose 1 hour before I need to be up and it helped but not enough. My doc prescribed 5mg immediate release concerta 1 hour before I need to be functioning. She called it a chemical launch. It is the cherry on top of my current med and lifestyle changes. I wake up without the narcolepsy fog. I didn't know life could be like this."

Sleepyhead2345 March 11, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I began taking Concerta at the age of 13 to treat my ADHD. I'm now 22, still taking 27MG of Concerta daily. Overall it has been helpful with managing my ADHD symptoms, I'm much less distracted and able to stick to one task at a time. It was especially helpful when I was in school because it was just so impossible for me to stay focused in class. As an adult it makes work so much easier for me because my job requires things to be done with a lot of precision. Side effects I've experienced have been headaches (occasionally migraines), inconsistent appetite, restlessness at night, some difficulty sleeping and constant thirst. Despite the side effects I feel that my overall quality of life has improved with taking Concerta to manage my ADHD."

Missdrakerss (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 29, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Unbelievable! I think and concentrate much better , focus, it does effect for men a little down below, but it makes you focus so you are very hi libido. Men know what I am talking about. It is great for that you mind does not wonder. I've only been on it for a week, it works immediately. And yes you worry because you can see things so good, and you are not used to it. So I get scared, that should go away. try it. you don't like, try something else, controlled substance, hard to get. Psychiatry will get this for you, and you need prior authorization depending on insurance."

Beani February 28, 2016

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This medication is truly life changing. After 30 minutes of taking the medication, I become a different person. My laziness goes away and I feel so focussed to do tasks. I've seen a friend at school go from almost a washout, to a hardworking student and everyone started feeling different about him. Best medication in the world!"

Rednax (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2016

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was on metadate 60 mg from 9-14 and it created a very intense anxiety and paranoia threw out my teenage years. Worst CNS medicine I've ever taken. I was on CNS medication from 6-16 and it did nothing but worsen long term. And leave me like a zombie while I was on it."

William D (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I take 10 mg generic Ritalin as needed. It gets me moving and I can focus a little better. I already have hair thinning and the doc warned me that this is a known side effect for some. However, I don't know if the Ritalin contributes to my hair loss or not. For me, I need to take it about 2 hours after breakfast for it to work. Then it lasts about 4 hours. I probably need a script to take this twice a day instead of once."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

For ADHD: "This medication is amazing! It made me human again! I can do everything now and accomplish anything I set my mind to! I can't believe the change it has brought in my life, I feel utterly grateful to whomever came up with the cure to help us function once again! I love myself & life once again :)"

Nina101 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Depression: "Prescribed for depression and possible cataplexy?/falling. Since taking this I feel better and normal. It's great and normal side effects. First few days I was a little jittery and shaky but that subsided. Helps me with fighting depression a lot. So glad something works since no antidepressant did."

Kay_22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 18 years old and have been prescribed 74mg of concerta a day. 3 pills in the morning and one in the afternoon if needed. I had been diagnosed with serve ADHD and this drug has changed the way I learn and study dramatically. It's amazing how confident and focused I am now. I always feel so good on it too, until I'm starving to death. Concerta absolutely kills your appetite. Sad part is I can not even force myself to eat and it has already taken a tole on my weight. I have always been insecure with my body so it is nice losing the extra pounds, however I don't enjoy talking to anyone at school anymore. Even though I feel good all during the school day, I am quiet and hungry."

EmmaJB February 12, 2016