User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 15 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Fatigue 3 reviews 0 medications

7.5
Obesity 1 reviews 56 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 409 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was first diagnosed with ADD when I was 6 years old, I'm almost 28 now,and have been on Ritilan and Adderall for most of my life. I went off medication a few times in my life and although I was functional, I found myself spacing out a lot, and unable to focus. Recently I had been under so much stress that I was experiencing more frequent zoning out especially at work. So I talked to my doctor about it, and he originally prescribed Strattera but my insurance company wouldn't cover it so he put me on 20 mg dose once a day. This is only my second day on it, but overall I've had little negative side effects. Just a minor loss of appetite and some dry mouth. I am definitely feeling a lot more focused and can still sleep. So far so good."

Sharbear7487 June 23, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ritalin has changed my life for the better. Family and friends could see how happy I was. I was able to finish what I started instead of 20 progject. A fill in Dr said he would not prescribed me my Ritalin because I was 61years old that I was too old. My regular dr is out of town. I am withdrawing and very tired and depressed and I want to die or I will if. These thoughts of after life will be painless live alone and no one will find me for days"

law1234567890 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

For Fatigue: "A+++"

Eclipse_604 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ok this is where i am after two weeks. I'm turning 54 one of these days, Managing Director of my company and self diagnosed with ADHD about a month ago. I matched ALL the criteria. Went to see a doctor and he confirmed my suspicions. I relayed my struggles with studies at University and he referred to me attaining two degrees a 'miracle, I cannot begin to explain how difficult studying was not to mention having to sit through hours of lectures. There was no - and I stress - NO filter between my brain.mind and my mouth. Anger,profanity and impulse behavior was only curbed by my life-long ability to be able to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Imagine an alien being in charge for 53 years. It's all gone. Why did no one help me with this before?"

Cornelis June 10, 2015

For Depression: "Heavy depression (black tar depression) for over two years. I have tried 7 or so anti depressants. Presently I am on a SNRI and a SSRI. I can not formulate goals and I am totally isolated. I took 5 mgs of Ritalin this morning (I am sensitive to these drugs) and I feel like formulating a goal. That is huge. Very encouraging reading about other people's experience with Ritalin and depression. I hope I have the same. Fingers crossed."

RobeND June 2, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've started taking Concerta because of ADD when I was 21. I went to see my doctor, I was explaining to him that I had difficulty keeping up at school since I was a kid, but the only reason I'm in University was because I was in art school. He prescribed me concerta. If anyone took speed before, it's exactly the same effect. You do get a down. You are more focused. You loose weight. However, you can go to sleep at night. The problem is, I don't take it everyday, I think it's a little bit too harsh for me. I'll go see him again, maybe I have psychological issues. It DID help with my sleeping: I always fell asleep in the afternoon, it took everything I had to stay awake ( at school, at home, at friends house) I was known as the sleeper."

MarieStellaElleADuPoilEnDessousDesBras May 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Started on 18mg and did not notice any difference in my ability to concentrate, but noticed that my appetite had decreased. My dosage was switched then to 32mg and I noticed that my attention span had increased slightly but the more noticable change was to my mood and my anxiety. My hands shake from this medication and I get hot flushes although my hands are cold and clammy. I sweat more unconsciously and this is uncomfortable. I went back to talk to my psychiatrist and was told that side effects tend to even out, and sometimes an increase in dosage can speed up this process, so I went up to 54mg. Although the medicine has made a change in my attention, my appetite has gone in the day and I have lost around 7kgs."

kirsep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7. And started taking focalin soon after I was very impulsive and couldn't focus. When I was 11 I started Adderall that would keep me up at night. And I was dependent on it. Last year (13 yrs old) I was on 31 mg of concerta the first day I took it. I was lightheaded and nauseous. I am almost 14 and I take 27 mg of Concerta it has helped immensly with social situations I am now a "cool" kid. I still struggle with school and am not very hungry. But overall I think concerta is a good fit for me. On a average day I eat a small breakfast of toast and a fruit or veg, skip lunch(not ever hungry) and eat a light dinner. On the weekends i don't take it and I have the muchies all day."

pasmoi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking conserta 54 and 36 (legally )for many years now the only main side effects are that it cause you to lose your appetite , twitch a bit. I don't think its for everyone."

mark.g (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "From school right through to starting college I was a lone wolf. Didn't like many people, got into a lot of fights. Was not bothered about doing well. People only stuck by me because they were scared of me. At the age of 16 I got into smoking a lot of weed and made myself even more of an outcast. Turned into a brain dead idiot. One day I tried amphetamines or 'speed' as its known as. Everybody else got high, I got a better job. Went back to college, became really popular, got girlfriends etc.. Eventually all that went down hill as street drugs are unpredictable. Went Doc's for help, was diagnosed with ADHD apparently had it all my life.vDoc put me on concerts 56mg daily. Pretty much the same effects as the speed. Love it no sides:)"

Dunczzzz May 14, 2015

For ADHD: "Pretty good. Definitely helps with focusing and concentrating. Personal Side effects: Dehydration Occasional Diarrhea Lack of appetite Difficulty Sleeping"

bargsachs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Depression: "Methylphenidate has changed my life. My depression is almost nonexistent now. I have also stopped dwelling on problems. I take 54 mg methylphenidate xr, along with 225 mg effexor xr."

Savahnnauh May 12, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I took it for a week. The first time I took it, I fell asleep. But it helps me with focus and thinking clearly. Still, I would go on the Adderall because it lasted longer in my system and I wasn't so sleepy."

CHuck57868959 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for : "I'm a 58-year-old female and I've taken Ritalin for about 16 years. This drug changed my life. It wasn't until the 80s that it was determined that you could have ADD without being hyperactive. Consequently, growing up I was considered an under achiever. I dropped out of college and worked low-level management positions until I was diagnosed. My life changed when I was prescribed Ritalin. I became focused and organized. I set goals and followed a plan to achieve them. I returned to college and graduated helping me secure a wonderful job where I excel. If you have been prescribed this drug do not hesitate to try it. It's never too late to be the person you always knew you could be."

Patty442 April 23, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking concerta for the past five months. When I first began taking it, I would get headaches and appetite problems, but those side effects dissapeared after about three weeks on it. Concerta has not only improved the amount of work I'm able to accomplish, its improved my self esteem as well. I no longer feel as shy and cluttered as I did before I started taking concerta. I like that it lasts throughout the entire work day, so I don't have to worry about redosing. Overall, concerta has been a very positive experience for me."

Samanthaed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am currently a junior in high school on concerta going onto 4 years with it and I can honestly say it does work very well. It helps me focus a lot and you can see the results inflicted on my academics and how good they got. But the side effects are the down fall of course. I get insomnia and I lose my appetite completely for a whole day. And on top of that I feel emotionless, like a robot that all it wants to do is study and focus. It takes a toll on social life, but I guess that's the price we all have to go through when taking medications."

JulieGarcia April 8, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Not good for me, migraines were terrible and had tongue swelling. I went on to Stratarra which I found better"

StephySunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I really like Concerta. I was on Adderall before but had really bad anxiety and sleep side effects and even more side effects, so my doctor gave me a Concerta prescription and I took it and felt so energized and focused. I love Concerta so much the only complaint would be it lowers my appetite and gives me a bad mood sometimes but I use Prozac to balance that out and this medicine is amazing, I tested it on video games and kept winning because how focused I was. This medicine is great for ADHD I highly reccomend it."

Melvin am March 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son started Concerta 18mg a little over a year ago at 9 yrs old. What a positive change for him!! His self-esteem was back and he was social and smiling all the time. Made new friends easily and enjoyed things other than video games and TV. Lately, we have noticed a change...his concentration is not as good, he has trouble getting organized at school and likes to stay in his room for hours at a time. He reminds me of the kid he was before medication. April 1st, we have an apt with the pediatrician and I am assuming we will up the dose to 27mg and hopefully find our happy boy again! We have also tried Biphentin, which did not work for us. Concerta has been a life saver and I hope it will continue to be with the proper dosage :)"

Natliv (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "After a diagnosis of ADHD, ODD and RAD the psychiatrist prescribed Concerta. So far after 1 week of use, the hyperactivity, aggression, and zoning out has either stopped or come to minimal. The side affects seem to be weight gain and loss of appetite."

Mom123456 March 23, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Wow, I'm really surprised with the reviews of this drug. This drug should not be taken for ADHD. There are many (safer) alternatives. I don't know, maybe I was just unlucky...I was prescribed Ritalin at around the age of 5-6, and from day one I had extreme fatigue, weren't interested in any other activity but sleep. It made learning from not interesting to impossible. After a couple of months taking it I had lost a lot of weight...by that time the doctors had to take me off Ritalin. It has caused me to be underweight ever since (I'm 20 now). If your child(ren) are hyperactive you should really consider cutting of the high amounts of sugar that they are exposed to in this day of age. Don't drug them, they will soon develop in a mature being."

AaronjS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

Methylin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Wow this stuff. There are pros and cons. Pros are for the first time something used to treat my ADHD doesn't mess up my personality. I still feel like the same person and I'm still very sociable but I'm focused at the same time. Cons are that 10mg for me isn't enough.... neither is 20mg. "

crim March 19, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "So far so good. Love the extended delivery system. I am taking 54, does not last as long as they claim. I am 46 just started with meds about 6 months ago. No bad side effects!"

mkc1968 March 19, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed in my late 40's with ADD. Dr. Put me on Strattera which was fine except for the severe nausea in the morning even taking it with breakfast. Just could not deal with that so was switched to Concerta. Loved it. No side affects. Could be off of it on the weekends and go back on it on Mondays with no issues. Dosage was 36mg. About 5 years of taking it and perfectly happy. Switched insurance company and continued with my medication then as of the first of the year will no longer cover Concerta. They want me to try all the cheaper formularies. Now I am struggling with all the other options they have provided and no success. Doesnt make sense!"

Brule (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking Ritalin for almost 3 years & it has been great. I had ADHD in high school & college. I couldn't focus, listen to lectures, read well or study. I saw a doctor during college & he prescribed me Ritalin 20mg 3x/day (I had long days in college). I was finally able to read well, study & focus. I love learning now, I'm motivated & my mood improved. Now I take 20mg 2x/day (I graduated & go to bed earlier). It lasts around 4 hours. I never experience withdrawal or major sleepiness when I don't take it. Side effects: Difficulty sleeping if taken too close to bed time & appetite loss (minor). I highly suggest an eating schedule and drinking lots of water so you don't eat too little. I would often forget to eat in the beginning."

Lucyx007 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015