User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 17 reviews 76 medications

7.6
Fatigue 3 reviews 0 medications

7.5
Obesity 1 reviews 53 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 423 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking Concerta for nearly five years now and just recently it hasn't been working as well as it used to. I was diagnosed with ADD in 6th grade and was then prescribed this medication. I've been taking it ever since. But back in May, I started to notice that I was having a much harder time focusing. It was almost like I hadn't taken it at all. This was very unfortunate since at that time I was having my end of year exams. I've also seen that others have been having the same problem. I'm looking forward to having this sorted out because my ADD is very bad and makes it very hard just to function in everyday life."

Pressley (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2015

For Depression: "Methylphenidate extended release 54 mgs x 2 a day has made all the difference in the world re: my depression. Many, many antidepressant meds were ineffective--it was as though I had taken nothing."

HeyLady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I first started with 27 mg or concerta when it was giving me no effect my doctor increased to 54 mg. At first I loved it. So great...motivation, energy, concentration etc. But then I realized how bad my anxiety was getting and that my prozac was no longer controlling my anxiety and depression. Concerta caused me to have very severe migraines which cause nausea and dizziness. I would have a migraine in the morning and the only thing that would take it away was the concerta and as soon as it wore off around 5-6pm there came the migraine again! & I obviously couldn't take the concerta or I'd be up all night. I am not switched to vyvanse but haven't tried it yet. If concerta did not cause migraines and anxiety then I would really recommend it."

Laurn August 21, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "34 years old diagnosed back in Oct 14 started meds at 18mg fine 1st day then no real benefit after that I hoped the increase would help did for a while. Now on 54mg and I'm not in a great place and emotionally feel low and feel desperate. My relationship has broken down I'm hoping tomorrow I can change meds"

Loonchild (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "i started taking this medicine at age 10 for about 1 year. i took it and it made me feel really like as if i was depressed and it made me feel no hunger.i never ate until the medicine would where out by the end of the day that shen i would start binging on foods at night time. the medicine was useless. and btw i still have adhd and it doesnt affect anyone or myself."

crayolatips (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2015

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This has been the best medication for my 10-yr old son, both in how it works and the fact that it's a liquid. He has severe ADHD. He can't swallow pills and the patch gave him a rash. He had tried a few capsule meds opened up & the extended release bead mixed in pudding. As soon as this came out, we switched him to Quillivant and he's had great success in managing his ADHD during the day. He starts having trouble at school around 1pm, so it does wear off somewhat, but overall we have been impressed with this medication. I will second the other reviewer's comment that you should get the Copay card from your prescriber that is given to them by the manufacturer so it only costs $20/month. You can get a new one each calendar year."

Sumomof3 August 11, 2015

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has been on this medication for 4 years. He's now on 40 MG and it has been a Godsend! He went from Ds and Fs to As and Bs. It wears off after school but as long as he makes it through school that's all that matters to me!!! I would recommend this medication to any parent. It truly has helped our son and brings out the best in him!"

Jonahs Mom August 11, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Love this. I was first prescribed 27 mg and seen no changes but with the 54 it is perfect. I am able to focus and do things and not get irritated with background noise."

Shshs (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was initially diagnosed with ADHD-combined hyperactive and implulsive when I was 16. Up until that point, I struggled with my attention issues and excessive energy and it became increasingly difficult to cope with the symptoms as I got older. My doctor prescribed me Concerta 54 Mg once a day. I immediately noticed significant improvements. I was able to think more clearly and communicate coherently. At the same time I noticed that I had a better ability to control my attention and remain focused over a more prolonged period of time. My grades improved and my relationship with friends and family became much better. I'm now 26 and still taking the medication. The therapeutic effects are still evident."

PeterAnthony54 (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I absolutely love this medication for my ADHD and as a mood stabilizer. It works wonders with little to no side effects. Coming down from it in the evenings is another story .. My coming down period sucks as I just get consumed with rage."

arhlpn (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2015

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy w/ cataplexy in 2009. I self drugged with energy drinks and coffee until I got my insurance back. I was on Provigil up until our insurance changed. My doctor switched me to Methlyphenidate 20mg 4x/day. If I am up and moving around it seems to work pretty good. But at work, I work a desk job and there are days that my head is bouncing off the desk from nodding. I do like this med better than provigil as it doesnt give me a headache I just wished it worked as well sitting down as standing up. Also when I get to hour 4-6 I can really feel myself slipping. Not fun."

mY NICKNAME July 13, 2015

For Depression: "DX was Major Depression at age 20 (now 40) I spent 20 years trying every med available. All of these drugs had side effects (lethargy, apathy, no sex drive, no pleasure, weight gain, sleep problems) none made a big improvement. Fast forward 20 years%u2026told a new doctor about main symptoms: oversleeping, hopelessness, social isolation, no interest in activities, emotional blunting, etc. He prescribed Ritalin I tried 10mg then went up to 20 mg and immediately noticed I was able to get out of bed early!!!! No lying around doing nothing, ruminating/wasting time all day. I became extremely motivated, Ritalin makes me feel just calm, motivated,positive and I sleep better in the evenings. I take 20mg Ritalin and 20mg Prozac."

Sadnowglad July 12, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Helped me a lot. Been using it for 8 months and now I'm on a 20 mg 2 times a day. I never had the power to just sit still and stay on one task. Now I'm able to actually sit down and focus on one task. I'm 16 and was diagnosed at 15. Ritalin doesn't last long enough though which is the only down side. Only lasts for 3 hours but it's good because you could get your appetite back. No side effects just a little nervous at times and head aches which are rare. Also suppressed appetite the first hour you take it."

Eddie024 July 11, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 50. I was in school before ADD and ADHD were a thing. Those of us that couldn't pay attention or behave got C's and D's, and we liked it that way. I'm kidding, we didn't like it that way and neither did our parents. I muddled through high school and even got a college degree, but I really struggled. I remember when I first heard of ADD and meds that treat it, and it was a revelation. I've tried many of these medications and Concerta is my favorite. To me, it's the smoothest. The short acting drugs hit too strongly and then quickly crash. Hard. I had been taking Metidate CD until an insurance change made Concerta cheaper. Concerta is smoother than Metidate."

RebelRebel July 7, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was first diagnosed with ADD when I was 6 years old, I'm almost 28 now,and have been on Ritilan and Adderall for most of my life. I went off medication a few times in my life and although I was functional, I found myself spacing out a lot, and unable to focus. Recently I had been under so much stress that I was experiencing more frequent zoning out especially at work. So I talked to my doctor about it, and he originally prescribed Strattera but my insurance company wouldn't cover it so he put me on 20 mg dose once a day. This is only my second day on it, but overall I've had little negative side effects. Just a minor loss of appetite and some dry mouth. I am definitely feeling a lot more focused and can still sleep. So far so good."

Sharbear7487 June 23, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ritalin has changed my life for the better. Family and friends could see how happy I was. I was able to finish what I started instead of 20 progject. A fill in Dr said he would not prescribed me my Ritalin because I was 61years old that I was too old. My regular dr is out of town. I am withdrawing and very tired and depressed and I want to die or I will if. These thoughts of after life will be painless live alone and no one will find me for days"

law1234567890 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

For Fatigue: "A+++"

Eclipse_604 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ok this is where i am after two weeks. I'm turning 54 one of these days, Managing Director of my company and self diagnosed with ADHD about a month ago. I matched ALL the criteria. Went to see a doctor and he confirmed my suspicions. I relayed my struggles with studies at University and he referred to me attaining two degrees a 'miracle, I cannot begin to explain how difficult studying was not to mention having to sit through hours of lectures. There was no - and I stress - NO filter between my brain.mind and my mouth. Anger,profanity and impulse behavior was only curbed by my life-long ability to be able to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Imagine an alien being in charge for 53 years. It's all gone. Why did no one help me with this before?"

Cornelis June 10, 2015

For Depression: "Heavy depression (black tar depression) for over two years. I have tried 7 or so anti depressants. Presently I am on a SNRI and a SSRI. I can not formulate goals and I am totally isolated. I took 5 mgs of Ritalin this morning (I am sensitive to these drugs) and I feel like formulating a goal. That is huge. Very encouraging reading about other people's experience with Ritalin and depression. I hope I have the same. Fingers crossed."

RobeND June 2, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've started taking Concerta because of ADD when I was 21. I went to see my doctor, I was explaining to him that I had difficulty keeping up at school since I was a kid, but the only reason I'm in University was because I was in art school. He prescribed me concerta. If anyone took speed before, it's exactly the same effect. You do get a down. You are more focused. You loose weight. However, you can go to sleep at night. The problem is, I don't take it everyday, I think it's a little bit too harsh for me. I'll go see him again, maybe I have psychological issues. It DID help with my sleeping: I always fell asleep in the afternoon, it took everything I had to stay awake ( at school, at home, at friends house) I was known as the sleeper."

MarieStellaElleADuPoilEnDessousDesBras May 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Started on 18mg and did not notice any difference in my ability to concentrate, but noticed that my appetite had decreased. My dosage was switched then to 32mg and I noticed that my attention span had increased slightly but the more noticable change was to my mood and my anxiety. My hands shake from this medication and I get hot flushes although my hands are cold and clammy. I sweat more unconsciously and this is uncomfortable. I went back to talk to my psychiatrist and was told that side effects tend to even out, and sometimes an increase in dosage can speed up this process, so I went up to 54mg. Although the medicine has made a change in my attention, my appetite has gone in the day and I have lost around 7kgs."

kirsep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7. And started taking focalin soon after I was very impulsive and couldn't focus. When I was 11 I started Adderall that would keep me up at night. And I was dependent on it. Last year (13 yrs old) I was on 31 mg of concerta the first day I took it. I was lightheaded and nauseous. I am almost 14 and I take 27 mg of Concerta it has helped immensly with social situations I am now a "cool" kid. I still struggle with school and am not very hungry. But overall I think concerta is a good fit for me. On a average day I eat a small breakfast of toast and a fruit or veg, skip lunch(not ever hungry) and eat a light dinner. On the weekends i don't take it and I have the muchies all day."

pasmoi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking conserta 54 and 36 (legally )for many years now the only main side effects are that it cause you to lose your appetite , twitch a bit. I don't think its for everyone."

mark.g (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "From school right through to starting college I was a lone wolf. Didn't like many people, got into a lot of fights. Was not bothered about doing well. People only stuck by me because they were scared of me. At the age of 16 I got into smoking a lot of weed and made myself even more of an outcast. Turned into a brain dead idiot. One day I tried amphetamines or 'speed' as its known as. Everybody else got high, I got a better job. Went back to college, became really popular, got girlfriends etc.. Eventually all that went down hill as street drugs are unpredictable. Went Doc's for help, was diagnosed with ADHD apparently had it all my life.vDoc put me on concerts 56mg daily. Pretty much the same effects as the speed. Love it no sides:)"

Dunczzzz May 14, 2015

For ADHD: "Pretty good. Definitely helps with focusing and concentrating. Personal Side effects: Dehydration Occasional Diarrhea Lack of appetite Difficulty Sleeping"

bargsachs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015