User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 10 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Fatigue 2 reviews 0 medications

7.3
Obesity 1 reviews 54 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 362 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Review by hamdi9 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I love this. I've started taking it 3 years ago, it's effective for me. The best thing about this pills it makes me less-hungry, and it help me lose weight!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by JustinSimmo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Amazing medicine. Helped with my recently diagnosed ADHD-PI (ADD). I am on 27mg and have no known side-effects. It has boosted my grades and my work is done quicker. It is the best thing that has happened to me. I haven't registered my ADD as a chronic illness, but know I will get it covered fully if I do.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by ADD_Student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am on 27mg Concerta. Never felt better. I have better grades because of better concentration. No anxiety or suicidal thoughts. Guess I have too much to keep me alive, that I have never had those thoughts. Only side-effect seems to be slight insomnia, but I would prefer better grades over sleep.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by Simmo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I was put on Ritalin 10mg three times a day, then on Concerta 27mg. I didn't have any side-effects until I went to 36mg and I was only losing my appetite. I went back down and it still is really helping my concentration. I finish my work on time and am able to work to a higher level of work.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by David..:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This has been life changing in a positive way, I never thought I had an issue and finally at 29 I mentioned it to my doctor who first prescribed Adderall I believe, I didn't like it. I mentioned it figuring I might as well give up, and then he suggested I try Concerta. Since that point my focus has gone up and I realize I did have an issue all these years! I don't take it Sundays to give my mind a break, only take it if you need it and don't abuse it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by northpole:

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This is my Wonder medicine for my 11 yr old Son. He hates taking the Pill's and they were making him sick so we went to Dr in Aug 2014 & I asked him if we could try the patches he said sure and I Love this Patch. Thank's for making this. And I did not know about putting the patches in the fridge because I do have a hard time peeling them so I'm going to give that a try.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Sberi (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son has been on this patch for a year. We started at 10mg, and are moving to 15 mg now. It has (by far) been the best ADHD medicine we've tried. We have had pretty minimal skin irritation issues overall. Sometimes the backing of the patch is hard to peel, but 15 seconds in the freezer solves that problem. By far our favorite ADHD medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Weebillfromthehill (taken for less than 1 month):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Only side effect is can't sleep and lost 4kg in 1 week

October 31, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by CaraCat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I was out on a couple of different types of medications for my ADD. When I came across Concerta, it is close to perfect to me. I don't get that feeling like I'm spaced out like Adderral.

October 26, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by AdamC (taken for less than 1 month):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have been using Ritalin 10mg for the past 3 weeks now. I am 28 years old and i suspected for a long time now that I have ADHD. Not being able to concentrate or focus, prioritise tasks and having depression (i am not taking medication for this) caused a lot of anxiety for me over the past 4-5 years. Ritalin has helped alot with my studies and kind of calms me. I am pretty quiet when i take it also. Its great for if you need to use it for work or study , but for everyday use I wouldn't like it. - In the first 45mins it gives me a slight euphoric feeling. - Makes me want to do productive activities. - Causes slight headaches if i don't drink plenty of water. I would recommend it. (I have tried adderall in the USA and that was even better)

October 12, 2014 7:03 AM

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 9yr old son has been on it Metadate 20mg for over a year now. Only side effect is lost of appetite so I make him eat a big breakfast. He only takes it on the week days for school it has really helped him to focus. My sons grade improved from 60's to 90's. I like Metadate because by the time he's out from school the medication has warn off and he's back to his normal active self. During the summer I also give him a break from the med and we do not have to tapper off in order for him to stop. We've tried other medications that which had not so good side effects. Metadate so far is the best.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by eeehhhh (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Intensified anxiety, and taken with Abilify I did not know if I was hungry for a long time. My weight went up and down, and I stayed on the same dose for 9 years. It made no sense. In hindsight, the Abilify was merely treating symptoms caused by side effects of Concerta. I would encourage everyone who has been ignored when they asked mental health professionals for help, to also encourage careful review and make informed decisions about medications. Educate yourself!

October 7, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by FET:

For Depression: I have suffered from severe depression most of my life (I am 58) 20 yrs ago I was put on Ritalin. It changed my outlook and life virtually overnight. In these 20 years I also took a variety of antidepressants. None very effective. Psychotherapy and Ritalin were together the cornerstone of my care and made a normal life possible.

October 4, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by agmag:

For Narcolepsy: I am 30. I have narcolepsy, fibromyalgia and severe rheumatoid arthritis that is also in my organs. I take 20mg every 4 hours up to 4 times a day. It takes 30min to kick in, and wears off in 2 hours. Without it, I felt like I had to curl up on ground wherever I was at or I wouldn't "make it." With the medicine, I feel totally exhausted, but it takes the edge off the urgency to lay down. I have been on it for 2 1/2 years. Docs wan't me off it (since it's a stimulant) and wants me on Nuvigil. I took one pill 150mg with Ritalin, seemed to help but it's been one day (tapering off Ritalin). Ued to fall asleep driving every day working full time. Now work part time and take methylphenidate and don't fall asleep driving (that I know of).

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 3:23 AM

Review by Vin9321:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: If you have ADHD, pills like Strattera (non-stimulant) do not seem to work. You do need a stimulant. Concerta is amazing medication. I used to be on it from 2nd grade all the way until 9th. Looking back now, at 21 years old, I see that after I stopped it in high school, my grades dropped. Just started taking the average adult dose of 36mgs and it has really helped me in class, although there isn't an insane change. MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A DECENT MEAL OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If you don't, you'll find yourself with an upset stomach for a lot of the day.

September 17, 2014 5:52 PM

Review by Johnnie2:

For Depression: I have been on numerous antidepressants that seem to wear out over time. I last had this experience with paroxetine. My doctor suggested Ritalin as an aid to make the paroxetine work better. What a world of difference! There's not much information out there about this, and I am sure there must be downsides. This works for me like nothing else. I am very careful with it, but I feel there are more upsides than otherwise.

August 3, 2014 12:19 PM

Review by tachy-heart:

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 11 year old took 3 doses. On the 4th day she woke up (10:15am) feeling weak and dizzy. She came to me and told me her heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest. Her heart rate was 100. It remained elevated for about an hour. The MD could not see her until 2pm. By then her heart rate was 88. She was diagnosed with dehydration.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by sapnacpatel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: It helps, but not for very long. But it definitely doesn't make me as irritable as other ADHD medications

July 9, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Honeypot500:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Took 18mg Concerta for 5 days. On day two, I woke up and cleaned and tidied the whole house, my partner thought something was wrong with me! Then the side effects came... Nausea, depression, anxiety. By the time I was coming down at around 3pm I had to stay at home, I was unable to drive my car or even just go out. My doc wanted to try me on 5mg Ritalin 3x a day quick release but I refused. After reading the reviews on here about dexamphetamine I started them this morning. 5mg 3x a day. Hopefully this will be the one for me.

July 9, 2014 4:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been taking Concerta for the past 14 years since it came out (24 now) and I don't plan on changing unless I'm forced. I've tried other medications and none work as well with as few side effects. Right now I take the 54mg. Sure I experience some side effects, but I've learned to manage them over the years (force myself to eat etc). The treatment of ADD/ADHD is only effective through a multifaceted approach, medication AND counseling/therapy/behavior coaching. Without Concerta I would never have made it through school or had successful relationships. ADD makes life hard, but with the right combination of treatments it is more than manageable.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Dkitten (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am suffering from depression and SAD + ADHD. On Concerta now and it makes an amazing impact on my depression - I had no idea that would happen. I don't know if it's common but I'm very pleased!

June 25, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by Frederickrrorodkfkfkfk:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: It makes me sweat a lot and have panic attacks.

June 25, 2014 10:05 AM

Review by Flosa (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son has been taking Ritalin for around 6-8 months and the difference in him is just unbelievable, he's school work has improved, he's spelling and comprehension has gotten a lot better and he has excelled in maths and can actually remembers what he has learnt. He socially gets along better with other children and is less destructive when in a group setting. I was very hesitant to put my son on meds but now realise I made the best choice for him.

June 17, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by K in Alaska:

For ADHD: About the only form of a stimulant that works without a crash. This medication does help my to start and stay on a task until finished. It also stops the endless chatter in my head, known as ruminating thoughts. This medication also helps me to sleep and at times will put me to sleep

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Review by thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month):

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Took it from 7-12 years old. When stopped, grades went down and gained weight. Taking it now again at 21. My gosh. First day back on it and wow.

June 4, 2014 5:02 PM