User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 16 reviews 76 medications

7.6
Fatigue 3 reviews 0 medications

7.5
Obesity 1 reviews 54 medications

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 415 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was initially diagnosed with ADHD-combined hyperactive and implulsive when I was 16. Up until that point, I struggled with my attention issues and excessive energy and it became increasingly difficult to cope with the symptoms as I got older. My doctor prescribed me Concerta 54 Mg once a day. I immediately noticed significant improvements. I was able to think more clearly and communicate coherently. At the same time I noticed that I had a better ability to control my attention and remain focused over a more prolonged period of time. My grades improved and my relationship with friends and family became much better. I'm now 26 and still taking the medication. The therapeutic effects are still evident."

PeterAnthony54 (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I absolutely love this medication for my ADHD and as a mood stabilizer. It works wonders with little to no side effects. Coming down from it in the evenings is another story .. My coming down period sucks as I just get consumed with rage."

arhlpn (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2015

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy w/ cataplexy in 2009. I self drugged with energy drinks and coffee until I got my insurance back. I was on Provigil up until our insurance changed. My doctor switched me to Methlyphenidate 20mg 4x/day. If I am up and moving around it seems to work pretty good. But at work, I work a desk job and there are days that my head is bouncing off the desk from nodding. I do like this med better than provigil as it doesnt give me a headache I just wished it worked as well sitting down as standing up. Also when I get to hour 4-6 I can really feel myself slipping. Not fun."

mY NICKNAME July 13, 2015

For Depression: "DX was Major Depression at age 20 (now 40) I spent 20 years trying every med available. All of these drugs had side effects (lethargy, apathy, no sex drive, no pleasure, weight gain, sleep problems) none made a big improvement. Fast forward 20 years%u2026told a new doctor about main symptoms: oversleeping, hopelessness, social isolation, no interest in activities, emotional blunting, etc. He prescribed Ritalin I tried 10mg then went up to 20 mg and immediately noticed I was able to get out of bed early!!!! No lying around doing nothing, ruminating/wasting time all day. I became extremely motivated, Ritalin makes me feel just calm, motivated,positive and I sleep better in the evenings. I take 20mg Ritalin and 20mg Prozac."

Sadnowglad July 12, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Helped me a lot. Been using it for 8 months and now I'm on a 20 mg 2 times a day. I never had the power to just sit still and stay on one task. Now I'm able to actually sit down and focus on one task. I'm 16 and was diagnosed at 15. Ritalin doesn't last long enough though which is the only down side. Only lasts for 3 hours but it's good because you could get your appetite back. No side effects just a little nervous at times and head aches which are rare. Also suppressed appetite the first hour you take it."

Eddie024 July 11, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 50. I was in school before ADD and ADHD were a thing. Those of us that couldn't pay attention or behave got C's and D's, and we liked it that way. I'm kidding, we didn't like it that way and neither did our parents. I muddled through high school and even got a college degree, but I really struggled. I remember when I first heard of ADD and meds that treat it, and it was a revelation. I've tried many of these medications and Concerta is my favorite. To me, it's the smoothest. The short acting drugs hit too strongly and then quickly crash. Hard. I had been taking Metidate CD until an insurance change made Concerta cheaper. Concerta is smoother than Metidate."

RebelRebel July 7, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was first diagnosed with ADD when I was 6 years old, I'm almost 28 now,and have been on Ritilan and Adderall for most of my life. I went off medication a few times in my life and although I was functional, I found myself spacing out a lot, and unable to focus. Recently I had been under so much stress that I was experiencing more frequent zoning out especially at work. So I talked to my doctor about it, and he originally prescribed Strattera but my insurance company wouldn't cover it so he put me on 20 mg dose once a day. This is only my second day on it, but overall I've had little negative side effects. Just a minor loss of appetite and some dry mouth. I am definitely feeling a lot more focused and can still sleep. So far so good."

Sharbear7487 June 23, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ritalin has changed my life for the better. Family and friends could see how happy I was. I was able to finish what I started instead of 20 progject. A fill in Dr said he would not prescribed me my Ritalin because I was 61years old that I was too old. My regular dr is out of town. I am withdrawing and very tired and depressed and I want to die or I will if. These thoughts of after life will be painless live alone and no one will find me for days"

law1234567890 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

For Fatigue: "A+++"

Eclipse_604 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ok this is where i am after two weeks. I'm turning 54 one of these days, Managing Director of my company and self diagnosed with ADHD about a month ago. I matched ALL the criteria. Went to see a doctor and he confirmed my suspicions. I relayed my struggles with studies at University and he referred to me attaining two degrees a 'miracle, I cannot begin to explain how difficult studying was not to mention having to sit through hours of lectures. There was no - and I stress - NO filter between my brain.mind and my mouth. Anger,profanity and impulse behavior was only curbed by my life-long ability to be able to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Imagine an alien being in charge for 53 years. It's all gone. Why did no one help me with this before?"

Cornelis June 10, 2015

For Depression: "Heavy depression (black tar depression) for over two years. I have tried 7 or so anti depressants. Presently I am on a SNRI and a SSRI. I can not formulate goals and I am totally isolated. I took 5 mgs of Ritalin this morning (I am sensitive to these drugs) and I feel like formulating a goal. That is huge. Very encouraging reading about other people's experience with Ritalin and depression. I hope I have the same. Fingers crossed."

RobeND June 2, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've started taking Concerta because of ADD when I was 21. I went to see my doctor, I was explaining to him that I had difficulty keeping up at school since I was a kid, but the only reason I'm in University was because I was in art school. He prescribed me concerta. If anyone took speed before, it's exactly the same effect. You do get a down. You are more focused. You loose weight. However, you can go to sleep at night. The problem is, I don't take it everyday, I think it's a little bit too harsh for me. I'll go see him again, maybe I have psychological issues. It DID help with my sleeping: I always fell asleep in the afternoon, it took everything I had to stay awake ( at school, at home, at friends house) I was known as the sleeper."

MarieStellaElleADuPoilEnDessousDesBras May 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Started on 18mg and did not notice any difference in my ability to concentrate, but noticed that my appetite had decreased. My dosage was switched then to 32mg and I noticed that my attention span had increased slightly but the more noticable change was to my mood and my anxiety. My hands shake from this medication and I get hot flushes although my hands are cold and clammy. I sweat more unconsciously and this is uncomfortable. I went back to talk to my psychiatrist and was told that side effects tend to even out, and sometimes an increase in dosage can speed up this process, so I went up to 54mg. Although the medicine has made a change in my attention, my appetite has gone in the day and I have lost around 7kgs."

kirsep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7. And started taking focalin soon after I was very impulsive and couldn't focus. When I was 11 I started Adderall that would keep me up at night. And I was dependent on it. Last year (13 yrs old) I was on 31 mg of concerta the first day I took it. I was lightheaded and nauseous. I am almost 14 and I take 27 mg of Concerta it has helped immensly with social situations I am now a "cool" kid. I still struggle with school and am not very hungry. But overall I think concerta is a good fit for me. On a average day I eat a small breakfast of toast and a fruit or veg, skip lunch(not ever hungry) and eat a light dinner. On the weekends i don't take it and I have the muchies all day."

pasmoi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking conserta 54 and 36 (legally )for many years now the only main side effects are that it cause you to lose your appetite , twitch a bit. I don't think its for everyone."

mark.g (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "From school right through to starting college I was a lone wolf. Didn't like many people, got into a lot of fights. Was not bothered about doing well. People only stuck by me because they were scared of me. At the age of 16 I got into smoking a lot of weed and made myself even more of an outcast. Turned into a brain dead idiot. One day I tried amphetamines or 'speed' as its known as. Everybody else got high, I got a better job. Went back to college, became really popular, got girlfriends etc.. Eventually all that went down hill as street drugs are unpredictable. Went Doc's for help, was diagnosed with ADHD apparently had it all my life.vDoc put me on concerts 56mg daily. Pretty much the same effects as the speed. Love it no sides:)"

Dunczzzz May 14, 2015

For ADHD: "Pretty good. Definitely helps with focusing and concentrating. Personal Side effects: Dehydration Occasional Diarrhea Lack of appetite Difficulty Sleeping"

bargsachs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Depression: "Methylphenidate has changed my life. My depression is almost nonexistent now. I have also stopped dwelling on problems. I take 54 mg methylphenidate xr, along with 225 mg effexor xr."

Savahnnauh May 12, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I took it for a week. The first time I took it, I fell asleep. But it helps me with focus and thinking clearly. Still, I would go on the Adderall because it lasted longer in my system and I wasn't so sleepy."

CHuck57868959 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for : "I'm a 58-year-old female and I've taken Ritalin for about 16 years. This drug changed my life. It wasn't until the 80s that it was determined that you could have ADD without being hyperactive. Consequently, growing up I was considered an under achiever. I dropped out of college and worked low-level management positions until I was diagnosed. My life changed when I was prescribed Ritalin. I became focused and organized. I set goals and followed a plan to achieve them. I returned to college and graduated helping me secure a wonderful job where I excel. If you have been prescribed this drug do not hesitate to try it. It's never too late to be the person you always knew you could be."

Patty442 April 23, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking concerta for the past five months. When I first began taking it, I would get headaches and appetite problems, but those side effects dissapeared after about three weeks on it. Concerta has not only improved the amount of work I'm able to accomplish, its improved my self esteem as well. I no longer feel as shy and cluttered as I did before I started taking concerta. I like that it lasts throughout the entire work day, so I don't have to worry about redosing. Overall, concerta has been a very positive experience for me."

Samanthaed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am currently a junior in high school on concerta going onto 4 years with it and I can honestly say it does work very well. It helps me focus a lot and you can see the results inflicted on my academics and how good they got. But the side effects are the down fall of course. I get insomnia and I lose my appetite completely for a whole day. And on top of that I feel emotionless, like a robot that all it wants to do is study and focus. It takes a toll on social life, but I guess that's the price we all have to go through when taking medications."

JulieGarcia April 8, 2015

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Not good for me, migraines were terrible and had tongue swelling. I went on to Stratarra which I found better"

StephySunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I really like Concerta. I was on Adderall before but had really bad anxiety and sleep side effects and even more side effects, so my doctor gave me a Concerta prescription and I took it and felt so energized and focused. I love Concerta so much the only complaint would be it lowers my appetite and gives me a bad mood sometimes but I use Prozac to balance that out and this medicine is amazing, I tested it on video games and kept winning because how focused I was. This medicine is great for ADHD I highly reccomend it."

Melvin am March 29, 2015

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son started Concerta 18mg a little over a year ago at 9 yrs old. What a positive change for him!! His self-esteem was back and he was social and smiling all the time. Made new friends easily and enjoyed things other than video games and TV. Lately, we have noticed a change...his concentration is not as good, he has trouble getting organized at school and likes to stay in his room for hours at a time. He reminds me of the kid he was before medication. April 1st, we have an apt with the pediatrician and I am assuming we will up the dose to 27mg and hopefully find our happy boy again! We have also tried Biphentin, which did not work for us. Concerta has been a life saver and I hope it will continue to be with the proper dosage :)"

Natliv (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015