User Reviews for Amantadine

Also known as: Symmetrel

Learn more about Amantadine.

ADHD 2 reviews 62 medications

Head Injury 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Influenza 0 reviews 82 medications Not rated - Be the first
Influenza Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Post-Polio Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amantadine reviews 10 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Amantadine

Review by Sideffects2:

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: So far so good...helping with the restlessness and unwanted movements.

January 30, 2014 2:41 AM

Review by MagicMom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Parkinson's Disease: I have to say I noticed the wiggles disappeared after the first dose - I hope this continues to work. I did get a brief dizzy spell after the second dose but it quickly passed.

January 16, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by Freecirle:

For ADHD: Caused tiredness and constipation.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by perkie parkie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Symmetrel (amantadine) for Parkinson's Disease: I hear that it only works in 50% of people who take it. I must be one of the lucky ones. Taking it along with Sinemet really takes care of me. And, no dosage shifting, plus slows down dyskinesia from Sinemet. You can take a "medication holiday" with this medicine and restart in a few days, to reinvent the good results, or test to see if it is working for you.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 7:23 PM

Review by lucky sunday:

For ADHD: I saw amazing results! Happy to report that the phone calls from school stopped! His overall behavior improved in so many ways! Saw positive results with concentration and mood. He was pleasant and easy going. He was on 100 mg per day for the past 8 months, teachers, grandparents and friends saw the positive behavior as well. 3 weeks ago, he decided he does not want to take any medication, needless to say I am sad, for I feel that he will go back to struggling with school work and following rules and back to his oppositional attitude. So far in school things are just okay. His attitude at home is not good. Hope he goes back on Amantadine!

December 14, 2011 10:48 PM

Review by D. Wright:

For Extrapyramidal Reaction: My son was given Abilify which caused tarkive dyskinesia. He was then given amantadine for the movements. It seems to be working well but he is now having other problems; peeling on his hands intermittent redness and rashes.

November 2, 2011 9:29 PM

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I have been on amantadine intermittently for years to deal with the "viral" component of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I took 200 mg daily for over 3 years. It helped me when nothing else would. I now take it when I feel a viral episode coming on. Without the drug the viral symptoms (nausea, sick feeling in head and extremities) are much worse. Often times I have difficulty taking drugs, but Amantadine (to my knowledge) has not presented with any prominent side effects. It does seem that when on it for extended periods of time the body gets used to it and it becomes less effective. For that reason, I take it during periods when I need it the most. I am very thankful for this medicine!

November 17, 2010 2:42 AM

Review by msfacts21-spam:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was given this for my chronic fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis. It did not work. I DO HAVE a cold And/or the flu NOW. THIS WAS ORDERED BY MY DOCTOR BECAUSE PROVIGIL IS NO LONGER COVER BY MEDICARE PART D. TO DATE PROVIGIL IS THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT HAS WORKED TO KEEP ME AWAKE.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2009 6:59 PM

Review by fishhead:

For Parkinson's Disease: I have been on amantadine for 2 months and it has worked at times. Although at times the shaking just continues. The shaking is there as a tremble at all times. Increase of dosage with no further effect. Shaking runs right through medication. I guess it is not for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2009 8:21 AM

Review by DLedge:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I've had Multiple Sclerosis for ten years and I'm 31 years old. I've been taking this for about 8 months and have noticed good improvements in my concentration and alertness since taken it.

August 8, 2009 8:36 PM

Review by cherriess4good:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was given this medicine to take for fatigue and it only slowed me down, got dry mouth, and a bit of confusion. I will stop this and contact the doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2009 2:30 PM

Review by Emmaann:

For Multiple Sclerosis: I was given this for my chronic fatigue at the time only associated with Multiple Sclerosis. It didn't work. I didn't get a cold or the flu during that time though :)

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2009 2:14 PM

Review by neuromuser:

For Parkinson's Disease: Amantadine produced immediate positive results in me, specifically in my ability to move, increased facial expression, and sense of well being.

July 13, 2008 3:23 PM

For Parkinson's Disease: Stops the "wiggles" associated with Parkinson's.

April 9, 2008 3:22 PM