User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 10 reviews 2 medications

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 20 reviews 2 medications

6.9
Summary of Modafinil reviews 170 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Modafinil

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I wish I was having the experience most of you are sharing. I've been on modafinil for a month with NO CHANGE at all. I am so tired all the time, nap every day without fail. I feel useless at work and in life."

TBPCR July 27, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I have taken Provigil for 5 years now (since I was 16) 400 mgs a day, as the lower dosage was ineffective. It has been a Godsend. I really struggled through school, and whilst it didn't help me get top grades, it did wonders for keeping me awake during lessons. I'm awake for around 15 hours a day, with a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and 7 hours sleep at night. The best part is being able to have a sleep pattern, something which beforehand, I could never experience. Without this drug I couldn't never get anything done."

Frogyrock July 27, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Most awesome drug. Doc must write excessive daytime sleepiness for insurance to pay. Practically no side effects"

janeenH (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2015

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "The first time I took this (prescribed for obstructive sleep apnea) I thought "wow, this is the answer!" I was awake and alert but didn't feel drugged....I felt "on the ball" and I hadn't felt like that in forever. The second time I took it I felt extremely tired. I forced myself out of bed but felt extremely depressed and anxious. I took anther tablet not realizing I was having a negative reaction to this drug. I became so tired I stayed in bed all the next day. I felt disorientated and it was as if everything was in slow motion. I could not get out of bed and was more tired than I had ever been in my life. My heart beat was fast and it felt irregular. I started to have negative thoughts and hallucinations. Not good!!!"

OSA_sleep July 11, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with CFS 18 years ago. When it gets really bad, I have major cognitive problems, memory loss, confusion and my speech even becomes more simple (small words less educated). I've been on modafinal (provigil) for over 6 years. Had to slightly up my dose about 3 years ago. I can hold a job and function well provided I don't over do it. My brain just "clicks" better again. Closer to normal. Slight side effect of nausea similar to morning sickness for about 3 hours after taking is well worth the benefit"

Not so sick and tired anymore (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2015

For Hypersomnia: "I have chronic fatigue due to autoimmune, mitochondrial, autonomic... I also have a (genetic) circadian disorder, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome & hypersomnia ( sleeping up to 12 hrs day). I can't work. I feel more alert on Modafini (Provigil) and can do more activities. It gives me mild anxiety but I'll take it over being fatigued. 1st few nights I had trouble falling asleep. After that, I actually started feeling tired at the end of the day and often go to bed earlier. As for my hypersomnia, I can't sleep much longer than 8 hrs. Once I wake up, even if I would like to, I can't fall back to sleep. I am very glad I finally after 8 years of fatigue decided to take it. Wish I did sooner."

NYC 72 June 28, 2015

For Depression: "I have been working for many years with one combination after another of medications for bi polar disorder. I was recently on oxcarbazapine and lithium which was great for a few months. Depression came back and I had unpleasant side effects with the oxcarbazapine. My doc added modafanil. It reduced the side effects and improved my depression. It also caused irritability. And caffeine made me restless even with a small amount."

upndwn June 27, 2015

For Depression: "Since diagnosis I have been on almost every medication that has been introduced. For the last five years I have taken 300mg Bupropion, 300mg Gabapentin 3/day, 200mg Modafinil, and additionally, Xanax, as needed. The Bupropion alone was not helping somatic symptoms and the Gabapentin solved that. The added Modafinil caused no noticeable side effects. It did provide increased energy, a more positive mood, emotional stability, and a feeling of cheerfulness which was foreign to me. It does not prevent a good afternoon nap when needed and has never interfered with sleep at night. As I told my physician, "The bupropion keeps me from wanting to die and the modafinil makes me want to live," Any minor side effects would be worth the benefits"

Depression diagnosed in 1965 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

For Fatigue: "I was prescribed Provigil due to fatigue from MS. This drug is a life saver for me, without it I would not have the energy to do anything. It is expensive and not covered under insurance so my doctor has gone through the office and given me every sample available. I am so grateful to him."

Riggs1 June 21, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "This medication worked for about a week, but now I just sleep right through it. I'm on 200 mg. I set an alarm to take the medication in the beginning I'd wake up about 45 minutes after talking it, but now I continue to sleep."

Sleepingmylifeaway0718 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I'm in the navy and it was very hard fighting my sleep for the first 5 years of being in I finally got a sleep study an they diagnosed me with narcolepsy. I don't really like taking medication for anything but my doctor introduced me to Provigil. I finally feel like a normal person, although the first month I had very bad headaches it slowly went away and I went from taking 1 100mg pill a day to 2 100mg pills. My body got used to it within the first 2mths. Overall I love this medicine. works pretty good for me."

lola14$ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Extremely effective for memory, and alertness. Take 1/2 in morning. Second dosage 2-3 hours later. If taken whole it cause hunger, and nervousness/shaking."

Kusha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

For Depression: "It was a strong drug. It had the side effect of leaving me tired and very depleted the following day far more than small 5mg of ritalin did. The only caveat is I took valium at bedtime. This may have messed with the Provigil to the degree that it may have messed with my system. I think this entry is valuable. Benzodiazepines do not appear to be useful in combination with Provigil or Modafinil. Days when I did not take Benzodiazepines the following days were pretty normal. The important entry I want to contribute is to say that the days following a Provigil day were the ones that were the most productive. I was far more "on" after the drug wore off. I felt like a younger faster version of myself days even a week later. 100mg dose"

BillZimm (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I am 29 yrs old, female, and have Chronic fatigue due to depression and rheumatoid arthritis. This drug seemed like the perfect cure but it gave me pretty unwanted side effects including worsening of depression, panicky, dizziness, blurred vision, headaches, worsening of fatigue, dazzed, would have words on the tip of my tongue sometimes that would take like 30 sec to remember what I wanted to say, and muscle tension, extreme anger at people and myself, and increased joint pain. So the 2 hours it'd actually increase my energy, All these side effects are NOT worth it."

Ladybird85 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have ME resulting in severe tiredness.... I Started taking 200 mg modofinal 5 days ago. It is fabulous. It is not funded in the UK. But if you have ME do some research and see if it is right for you. It really worked for me!"

Mounthawke April 5, 2015

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "I have obstructive sleep apnea so severe, I fall asleep driving, working, sitting, during an MRI, etc. I'm extremely allergic to the plastic c-pap masks OR they don't work effectively so I'm unable to get relief from the machine. I do shift work, suffer from depression, anxiety, ADD, panic attacks and now this has become progressively worse in the last year. I sleep so much to catch up that now my 46 year old body is breaking down. Loss of muscle mass, weight gain, etc. What does work for me? Provigil/Modifinil. Amazing! Truly! But my Medica health insurance does not cover it. Why won't the pharmaceutical companies lower the price or provide alternatives, options, etc. I'm a beautiful woman slowly wasting away."

srilamm April 3, 2015

For Hypersomnia: "Before this medicine I always felt tired , irrated by little things,and sometime felt emotionless because of how tired I was I went to my neurologist was diagnosed with ideopathic hypersomnia which means when I sleep I guess I don't really sleep. All I know is I have a New perspective on life knowing there was something wrong with me and now this medicine controls it and makes me feel so much more awake and be just like anyone else that does not have this disorder I learned the hard way one day what will happen if I stop taking it. I will go back to my old depressed tired self"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015

For Fatigue: "A brutal accident left me in a drug induced coma and on a respirator with a month long hospital stay. Figured I was back to relative normality. Fatigue was an issue, as was memory loss, attention span and nightmares. Diagnosed with PTSD, but I knew it wasn't. After 22 months of hell I was circling the drain and either got help or was "opting out". Checked in to a nero ward and they ran a battery of tests on meover 2 weeks. > Undiagnosed concussion from the accident. Gave me an SSRI (off now) but nothing fixed the fatigue, or constant feeling of hangover/lack of focus. Gave me modafinil and although I had small headaches daily (gone now) the energy/clarity it gave me was unreal. Short/med memory is still shot but I have my life back"

LocoLaw February 27, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Positive"

Wolg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2015

For Depression: "I have suffered from major depression for over 20 years. The past 2 1/2 years have been devastating. I have now treatment resistant depression. I have been on all of the "modern" and some "old school" antidepressants including Lithium and MAOIs. I have had 2 rounds of ECT treatments in the past 2 years. They have knocked the suicidal ideation for a little while but this most recent round of 12 required "Maintenance" sessions. I have had 3 maintenance ECTs then my psych doc prescribed me Provigil. I started at 100 mg for 2 weeks then upped it to 200 mg. for the past 2 weeks. I have made it through the holiday season feeling the best I have in years. Now I am back to the way I was before my depression. Don't know why but it works."

downindumps (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2014

Provigil (modafinil) for Fatigue: "Provigil (Modafinil) was an absolute miracle for me to help me control my Multiple Sclerosis related fatigue. I have taken it for nearly 14 years with no side effects whatsoever (200mg two times a day). I liked that it never made me feel edgy, jumpy or nervous and I especially liked that I could still sleep with a 200mg dose on board as well so it didn't absolutely control my sleep patterns. Helpful. Effective. Cost prohibitive if unable to get insurance coverage for it. I have only recently stopped taking Modafinil due to my insurance (which I have the same company for the last 10 years) company not covering Modafinil for off-label uses (crazily, MS Fatigue being one of them?). So far, I am not at ALL impressed by any of the "substitutes"."

ImahSleepyGirl (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2014

For Depression: "After many hospital stays for trying all the different medications for bi-polar depression Modafinil has been part of my regimen with gabapentin and nortriptyline. Any regular medication for bi-polar disorder has side effects such as deja vu to diarrhea. My wife changed jobs but took the new one on the basis that it was the same insurance carrier and would continue coverage. Now because they say Modafinil is not a bi-polar medicine they refuse to pay for it. I will not be able to afford the $650 a month. Without it I wake with nightmares. It's very sad insurance says they know better than a group of doctors and 10 years of success using a prescription."

Progenitor (taken for 10 years or more) December 16, 2014

For Narcolepsy: "I was just prescribed modafinil and I was happy I picked up my prescription on Friday so I had the weekend to try it out. So yup- I woke up and cleaned things I haven't cleaned in months with incredible focus. I didn't feel scattered, didn't lose my train of thought, my attention span was excellent. It almost made me wonder if I had ADHD and never knew it. But anyway, I took 100mg, half a pill at a time. No headache, no nausea, I ran a couple miles and did okay. I was able to feel good and not be tired and even got to play with my kids in the evening- something that never happens because I'm usually too exhausted to do anything like that. Overall, I'm feeling a ton better!"

Awakeandready (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2014

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder back in 2002 and I've tried every medication under the sun with no success. Then in 2006 my doctor tried me on Modafinil as add on to my other medications, I was really surprised at the effectiveness of modafinil. On my depressed cycle it made me get off the sofa and lessened my depression. During my mania cycle I would not have to take Modafinil. It is definitely a medication worth trying as an add to as add on."

casreid1962 (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2014

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy while ago and have been started on Modafinil. This does work, but with some side effects, which I tend to find only if I take the whole 100mcg at one go, rather than have it in two's. By separating the whole dose it has helped with the headaches and increased heart rate. I don't take it on a daily basis, but only when I am at work or at Uni. Another brownie point for this medicine is that it definitely curbs my appetite for hours."

Free spirit (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2014