User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 10 reviews 2 medications

7.4
Summary of Modafinil reviews 146 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Modafinil

Review by Free spirit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy while ago and have been started on Modafinil. This does work, but with some side effects, which I tend to find only if I take the whole 100mcg at one go, rather than have it in two's. By separating the whole dose it has helped with the headaches and increased heart rate. I don't take it on a daily basis, but only when I am at work or at Uni. Another brownie point for this medicine is that it definitely curbs my appetite for hours.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by 28wnarcolepsy:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I am a former college football player who has had narcolepsy for years. I have been on Provigil for over a year now. I started with the lowest dose possible and after 3-6 months am now on the highest dose possible. The medicine has little side effects for me which is great except it curbs my appetite a bit. But I find my body has become immune to the medicine as the impact becomes less and less. I take 4 pills a day and even though I am not falling asleep as much and wasting the day away, I still have no energy. When I am sitting there awake I'm just useless. I don't want to go on an amphetamine but this medicine just isn't working to well for me.

September 9, 2014 1:26 PM

Review by Frenchmen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For ADHD: I take Modafinil / Provigil for head injury related problems. I've tried Ritalin it didn't work well. Provigil is excellent, no side effects or problems. Perfect.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 6:21 PM

Review by omchanti (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take a 1/4 of a pill Modafinil together with 1/4 paroxetine 5mg in the morning, never felt better. I have tried other options like Wellbutrin, RITALIN but with erratic results, you should try modafinil and you would be surprised.

July 27, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Millie E. Elmore (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: This was more effective than any others tried including Ritalin, Vyvanse which made my heart rate rise to the 140s. Modafinil worked quickly but not suddenly and lasted for the entire day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by Miss mia:

Provigil (modafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: It has been a big help since I suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness. I have had surgery for apnea and do shift work.

June 6, 2014 6:43 AM

Review by D.M.N. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I selected depression but at this point I believe depression is a side effect to a larger Neurological issue and apnea. I was diagnosed with Depression years ago and after being put on tonnes of different medicines some of which were a nightmare I was upgraded to Bi-Polar. Along the way I gained about 100lbs and eventually ended up on a cocktail that included Seroquel which made me very sleepy all the time. I was initially given Provigil as a way to be awake during the day. It was a very positive improvement. After a while I was adjusted to Seroquel, Lamictal and Provigil, and it seemed to keep me stable but still lethargic. Eventually we tried lessening the Seroquel and eventually eliminated it. I am doing better than ever now for several years.

June 5, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by betsylewiston:

For Fatigue: My psychiatrist put me on Provigil for constant fatigue and sleepiness. The antidepressant I was taking didn't give me more energy as expected. Provigil works wonderfully for me: without it, I am a lazy, sleepy, cranky mess, and I only want to stay in bed and sleep all day. Without it, I need to take multiple naps each day. But with Provigil, I can go through the day without napping, and I'm able to drive, work, and go through each day without constant sleepiness. I haven't felt any side effects significant enough to notice. The drug works very well for me, but I am now having issues with insurance coverage. My monthly dosage could cost more than $1000. Provigil is effective but extremely expensive.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by rues:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I tried to write a lot more, but the space is limited. I'd tried ADHD medicines and loading up with caffeine, but nothing seemed to work to manage my excessive sleep cycles. I stumbled across information on Provigil, and asked my doctor if I could try it. I was skeptical because I have eczema, and I have to be careful about the medications, foods, and external allergens I'm exposed to. I began at the lowest dose once/day, and increased to that twice a day after a year and a half, because it seemed the effectiveness was decreasing. I do take breaks from the meds, usually for a day or two, but I've had to for months (cost) and haven't experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms, like with all the other chemicals.

February 7, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Toddsmithallday (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I got modafinil a few weeks ago when I discovered a great review on the product. It has worked amazingly for me. I do not get tired nor do I lose focused on my tasks at hand.

February 6, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by lhmazeika (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fatigue: I was diagnosed 7 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis. I have been very tired and kind of aggravated all the time because of it. My Doctor prescribed Provigil (Modafinil) For me last year. ITS A MIRACLE for me. REALLY! It used to take all of my energy just to get up to walk to the sink for a drink, Now I power through a day of work alert and ready for more work. I'm a cleaner, so I need energy. The surprise was with this medicine not only helped me to be more alert, awake and focused but I've also been in a really great mood as well. HUGE PLUS. Because I always felt angry and cranky. I was given 200 MG, however, I find that its a bit too much and makes my heart race so I break it in half and its perfect.

December 5, 2013 12:00 AM

Review by Fernanda P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My depression is responsible for a sleeping disorder that makes it very hard for me to stay awake and functional: I have some kind of hypersomnia instead of the regular insomnia complaints patients have. Even though there are people that respond nicely to modafinil, I didn't feel anything while associating 200mg of it to my SSRI. I couldn't notice any improvement to my sleeping cycle or to my concentration. Side effects were absent too. Unfortunately it was not for me.

October 31, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Hebble:

Provigil (modafinil) for : It works well- it's brand is different than the generic.

October 27, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by Grapler:

For Fatigue: I have used this medicine on an as need to basis for two years or so and it has had remarkable effect on my ability to function normally and beyond using 100mg, sometimes twice a day if I need to keep going into the next day.

October 7, 2013 10:09 PM

Review by WorthaTry (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I started taking 200 mg of Modafinil a couple weeks ago for debilitating chronic fatigue. It has definitely had a positive effect, although a subtle one. I am more awake, better able to focus and it is easier to overcome the inertia required to start something. I haven't suddenly become energetic or highly productive like others, but there is a subtle difference. Unfortunately it has seriously impacted my sleep. My brain stays awake most of the night even though my body is exhausted. Additionally it gives me a pressure headache behind my eyes, and overall just makes me feel a little strange.

September 27, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by Kathy0323:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house.

September 23, 2013 8:06 PM

Review by Suze1227:

For Depression: Had this added to my anti-depressant cocktail and I have to admit, it's given me more energy and increased my mood quite a bit. I was really surprised at it's effectiveness for depression and depression related fatigue. The only drawback for me is that I often get headaches when it starts to wear off. But overall a good medicine!

September 11, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Cheri408 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I took Provigil along with Adderall and felt the best ever. I was alert, not on too much Adderall so I didn't feel bad from that--Then my insurance company wouldn't cover Provigil any more, they pushed Nuvigil--it made me sleepier.

September 6, 2013 2:40 AM

Review by Jackit:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Provigil worked for my narcolepsy for about 6 months. After that, I began to have bouts of insomnia at night and became ultra sleepy during the day times. I was prescribed sleep medications to help combat the new side effects. Things did not seem to improve. I also gained 40 pounds during the time I took Provigil (which was a total of 9 months). As a woman, gaining weight was my LEAST desirable side effect of all. Finally, I switched off of Provigil and returned to what was working for me originally, Adderall XR 30 mg one to two times per day (depending on what my schedule was like that day). I only switched off of Adderall XR originally because my doctor was concerned about the potential long term cardiovascular effects on my body.

September 3, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by C/OJAM:

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: This med worked for me for about 2 weeks. It was amazing. But it seems I have started already become imune to it. I was so hoping it would work for me like it did everyone else. I am totally crushed that it isnt.

July 26, 2013 4:29 AM

Review by Sagemonkey:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Wide awake, enhanced reflexes, but too expensive.

July 25, 2013 8:47 AM

Review by AbbeyL (taken for less than 1 month):

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I found that this medicine was good at keeping my body awake, but I still felt like my mind was falling asleep. After about 4 or 5 days on it I developed the worst migraine of my life...when I get migraines they usually resolve with just half of a Vicodin. After taking two full Vicodin's I still had the most raging migraine ever. It lasted for 3 days. Once it resolved I went back on the Provigil two days later another raging migraine. That was it for me.

July 13, 2013 1:15 PM

Review by baldbobc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: I'm finally getting 8 hours of sleep with significant REM. Having regular dreams for the first in decades (67 yrs old). Plenty of energy. ADHD symptoms, including: focus, short term memory, social interaction, feeling of well being, and a general calming effect have all improved dramatically. For about 5 years I took 60 mg/day of Dexedrine but had to stop due to blood pressure issues. Basically the same results without the side effects.

May 2, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by myoman (taken for less than 1 month):

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by PattiPesh:

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Modafinil has been a miracle for me. I suffered with chronic fatigue syndrome for 20 or so years, usually accompanied by severe depression. My doctor called one day and said his two other Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients has had remarkable success with this medicine and he wanted me to try it. Prior to trying it, my depression had lifted, but the fatigue always remained. Within a very short time, the fatigue lifted and NEVER returned. I experienced not a single side effect, and I have developed no tolerance problems with it. As a result, I have been using it successfully now for 13 years! My depression comes and goes, and most medications have proved useless over time, but the fatigue.... it's gone!

March 13, 2013 12:50 PM