User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

ADHD 9 reviews 36 medications

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 24 reviews 2 medications

7.1
Summary of Modafinil reviews 203 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Modafinil

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Really helps in the morning but seems to wear off rather quickly. I will try an additional dose in the afternoon."

Apneac April 29, 2016

For Narcolepsy: "I took Modafinil for a week and a half for narcolepsy and couldn't continue. I was wide awake for 2 days but practically manic. By the third was a waking zombie. My brain fog was significantly worse and my fatigue increased to the point of hardly being able to get out of bed. It became progressively worse each day."

Missy82 April 25, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on modafinil since three weeks. Was previously on fluoxetine since a year,self prescribed for apparent depression. I.stopped fluoxetine cold Turkey 3 weeks back and put myself on modafinil. I have carried well since. Tried stopping fluoxetine suddenly previously also without any replacement drug,but got severe mood disturbances,and wasn't successful. Modafinil is helping me for good ever since. But I started having serious side effects since last week.. severe muscle cramps, mainly in calves,backaches,pain in right scapular region,shortness of breath, mild headaches, increased sexual desire. I am happy on the drug, but leg cramps,pain in scapular region, shortness of breath are making it miserable. I may stop modafinil due to the side effects"

ephialtis (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Depression: "I was extremely hopeful upon reading the raving reviews about Modafinil for depression , especially for initiative and motivation. I was practically expecting it would work so if anything, I was the perfect candidate for the placebo effect. But it was not to be. I took up to 200mg but found it to have no effects at all on my depression. It actually made me slightly anxious and agitated. Though, it does work very well with making you stay awake and alert. "

Arrowstar April 21, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "My first experience with modafinil wasn't as all said it to be. I have sleep apnea and have studied this drug for a long time. I decided to ask my doctor if I could try it. I was given the generic brand in Canada because it's fully covered for status Indians.I was given apo-modafinil and not very satisfied with the effects. It did help a bit thou. I then renewed the prescription and they gave me a different generic modafinil,Mar-modafinil. Government changed that. Wow what a difference. I love it! This can be my new love. I first noticed the pill was pill shaped and more dense. It seemed the apo-modafinil was easy to break and disintegrated easy under my tongue. This tells me it probably had alot of filler and less potent. Good stuff."

Italiantribe (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "This stuff is absolutely amazing! I have never felt better in my entire life. I have struggled with fatigue, daytime sleepiness, and depression for the better part of my 62 years. I was constantly tired and always in need of a nap. I could not read a book or watch tv without nodding off. Now I am awake and focused all day long. It is like 5 cups of coffe with absolutely no jitter or side effects. I no longer take or need a nap during the day and my sleep pattern has improved greatly. I used to sleep less than 4 to 5 hours a night. I would wake up at 2 or 3. Now I am sleeping about 6+ hrs. The depression I have endured for 50 years is gone! My wife cannot believe how much this drug has helped me. It is so wonderful to be enjoying life."

Mtbbob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

For Depression: "After suffering from severe depression and PTSD; and having been prescribed Luvox, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and combinations for over 20 years; I read about Modafinil being used off label. The only antidepressant that had helped previously was the Zoloft. After several years; it lost the effectiveness from when I first began taking it. In the meantime, I became permanently disabled due to MANY physical conditions along with my mental conditions. My doctor added Modafinil to my daily regiment of medications. I can think more clearly; and don't lose my train of thought, nor become distracted as often before taking Modafinil. It has been a blessing for me and I have not experienced any ill side effects."

Improved March 25, 2016

For Depression: "Took these for a few weeks leading up to an exam with no thought that they'd help with my depression. Having suffered from chronic depression since early adolescence which was not at all helped by the numerous anti-depressants I've tried over the years these pills were a blessing. It's the first time I'd felt like myself in years; I had energy, drive, my thinking became more positive and it was like this crushing weight was taken off from me and I could actually enjoy life again. Really hope this medication becomes licensed for use in treating depression in the UK, could potentially improve countless lives."

ModafiMedic (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Fatigue: "It works wonders. I'm no longer depressed or tired. Everyone who qualifies for a prescription should get it"

kiel (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "IMHO, modafinil is a good medication. I was originally diagnosed with EDS. Couple years later, MSLT showed REM, blablabla, narcolepsy. I've tried it ALL. best was Dexedrine which is no longer manufactured (as far as I understand). Adderral dropped me down to about 95lbs (even tho I'm a small girl). Ritalin made me super anxious and mute and slow. And provigil was... Just ok and VERY expensive. Stopped the provigil because it cost $500 a month, 60tabs BID 100 mg. I just can't keep paying for it. I went back to Ritalin which is the cheapest of them all cause I thought I was better. Never been more wrong! Not being on the provigil has shown me, I DO HAVE NARCOLEPSY. W/o provigil, I can barely function :-/. But how can I carve out $500 for it?!"

Geeeceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I had to work part time because I was so tired. Eventually I had to stop altogether. Now I buy modafinil and my life has changed . I am a cab driver able to do airport runs thinking clearly and never tired. I don't take it every day just 100mg or half a tab before driving. I can do all my paperwork now and am enjoying life."

Notsorich February 21, 2016

For Fatigue: "I have had fatigue and brain fog for years now, so I decided to try modafinil. I took 100mg on my first day at 7:00am, by 8:00 I could feel my tiredness diminishing and went to work. It certainly gave me more motivation and focus but at the same time you feel slightly weird. You certainly know you have taken a drug and for me the slightly wired feeling is a little off putting. People leave comments claiming it's amazing etc but I feel people taking modafinil for the first time should take caution. On 100mg It was incredibly hard to sleep, my mind started cobbling together thought after thought of random things, anything but shutting down to sleep. I would recommended starting on 50mg, for me 100mg is too strong."

PaulUK (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

For ADHD: "I was on adderall for 12 years after diagnosed with ADHD. I have always had problems being tired all the time and that helped along with the other sytoms. I have fallen asleep driving etc. I saw a neurologist his recommendation was a sleep specialist and take me off the adderall. My regular doctor weaned me off the adderall and started the modafinl. I started with 100 mg at the end off the adderall then went to 200 mg alone that done nothing she upped it to 400mg and it helped for a few months now it's like I'm taking a sugar pill it does nothing. I can not function or stay awake. Now going for sleep study."

Angela101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

For Depression: "I think I might be the only person in the world having no beneficial effect on this drug. I took 50 Mg Modalert and I never felt so bad in my life: I was paranoid, anxious, had several serious suicidal thoughs , headache and nausea. I kept feeling bad for the next 24 hours. I feel so disappointed and sad, I was hoping that moda could have helped me"

M855 January 27, 2016

For Fatigue: "Life back. Fatigue,fibro,myofascial pain,& no rem sleep. I was only out of bed on the average of 6 hrs per day. Stomach pain & nausea bad 2 weeks at 200 mg so cut in half. At 100 mg after 10 days can tolerate. Speech is not as fast as on 200 mg & not quite as active, but up most all of the day. Tired at nite, but still takes awhile to get to sleep. So happy to feel almost normal again!"

Bjcast January 24, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I've been working 12 hour night shifts for 23 years. Started feeling excessive daytime sleepiness approximately 10 years ago, which has progressed to the point of fighting to keep my eyes open 24/7. Began taking modafinil 6 months ago and have noticed no difference whatsoever! If anything, it has gotten worse. I fear for my life (and everyone else around me!) every time I'm behind the wheel of my car. Working day shifts or changing jobs is absolutely not an option for me, as I have a special needs child that I need to be home with during the day. Have had every type of lab work known to man, all of which is normal. This zombie life is absolutely ridiculous and really wish someone had a solution!"

Jen K. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

For Fatigue: "I have used Provigil - modifinal for more than 15 years for MS fatigue. It allows me to lead a normal life. Before I started using it I said I would be happy to just sleep for the rest of my life. My insurance paid for it at first, but then stopped. I purchase it by prescription through inernet. "

Sroryteller January 9, 2016

For ADHD: "I have ADHD, tried Modafinil 100mg, side effects, stomach upset, lost appetite, can't sleep at all for 2 days. Headache. Made me feel jittery, I felt all over the place couldn't concentrate actually. Also made me feel unsocial and bad mood. The only thing is yes you won't sleep. Gave it a try a few more times, don't like it. Sticking to Adderall, much better for ADHD!!!"

MilashkaNY (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I first took Modafinil for shift work, but I also took it for fatigue, and depression. It worked great for all those conditions. I'm in my 60's and when I was young Docs gave me real amphetamines to lose weight. Amphetamines are a nightmare compared to Modafinil. Even though they give me the 200 mg tab. I never take 200 mg at once. I always break them in half and take 100 mg at a time. The worst thing is if you take it too late you can't sleep. But you need to sleep with Modafinil and you also need to eat with it. You feel better when you do. I give it a 10."

Thor283 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2015

For Fatigue: "I'm a 27 year old male and work 80-90 hours/week. I found that I crash after 3-5 hours if I don't prepare my body with proper nutrients before taking a 100mg dose. Eating a solid meal before, and healthy snacking during has given me great results. Wakefulness, alert, no jitters, and no crash. I also have at least 2 cups of coffee throughout the day to keep it consistent. Positive results if you use it correctly."

Nate.B (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "It works, it really really works, it is just expensive !"

NW49ERSFAN1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2015

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I have narcolepsy which went undiagnosed for decades. I don't drink coffee and for years self medicated using caffeine tablets and diet sodas. Finally in desperation started looking for answers via the net, had a sleep study and voila, narcolepsy. Tried Ritalin with no effect, then Provigil and for the first time felt normal and productive. Health insurance would not cover and soon I was paying $800.00 a month for meds. To make matters worse, the Provigil soon lost any efficacy. Ultimately my Doc, reluctantly prescribed Adderall and I have been taking 30mg in the AM and 20 more around lunch. This works ok, but still need caffeine."

Carter Carter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2015

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Pretty much bed ridden. Took 100 mg of Modafinil. Within 5 minutes, had lots of pressure in my head.Very unpleasant. Did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. Instead, felt worse. Extreme pressure in head lasted 90 minutes. Then mild headache rest of the day. Very disappointing."

Michael Westen (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

For Depression: "Taking care of 90 year old m in law has put my life in deep dark depression. I was not able to function, my thinking speech and soul were leaving me more each day. Changing her diapers,and watching her sit idle 12 hours a day was more than I could handle. This med has given me patience,focus & my smile back. I am able to take care of her with a better outlook, and take care of my kids & husband again. It's a blessing and it worked for me in 2 days. My fatigue is gone,my mood is brighter the gloom has gone away. I feel like I'm alive where as before I took it, I felt dead inside & had no hope just wanted to stay in bed. I am grateful to have a normal feeling,it's been a miracle for me.need to appeal ins co.as they don't want to pay."

Minnysmom December 3, 2015

For Fatigue: "I'm on 200mg. I have MS fatigue and I can't get anything done without it. I love this pill."

Stephxoxo November 20, 2015