User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 9 reviews 2 medications

7.3
Summary of Modafinil reviews 138 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Modafinil

Review by rues: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I tried to write a lot more, but the space is limited. I'd tried ADHD medicines and loading up with caffeine, but nothing seemed to work to manage my excessive sleep cycles. I stumbled across information on Provigil, and asked my doctor if I could try it. I was skeptical because I have eczema, and I have to be careful about the medications, foods, and external allergens I'm exposed to. I began at the lowest dose once/day, and increased to that twice a day after a year and a half, because it seemed the effectiveness was decreasing. I do take breaks from the meds, usually for a day or two, but I've had to for months (cost) and haven't experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms, like with all the other chemicals.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 1:16 AM
Review by Toddsmithallday (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

modafinil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I got modafinil a few weeks ago when I discovered a great review on the product. It has worked amazingly for me. I do not get tired nor do I lose focused on my tasks at hand.

February 6, 2014 4:28 PM
Review by lhmazeika (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

modafinil for Fatigue: I was diagnosed 7 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis. I have been very tired and kind of aggravated all the time because of it. My Doctor prescribed Provigil (Modafinil) For me last year. ITS A MIRACLE for me. REALLY! It used to take all of my energy just to get up to walk to the sink for a drink, Now I power through a day of work alert and ready for more work. I'm a cleaner, so I need energy. The surprise was with this medicine not only helped me to be more alert, awake and focused but I've also been in a really great mood as well. HUGE PLUS. Because I always felt angry and cranky. I was given 200 MG, however, I find that its a bit too much and makes my heart race so I break it in half and its perfect.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 5, 2013 12:00 AM
Review by Fernanda P (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

modafinil for Depression: My depression is responsible for a sleeping disorder that makes it very hard for me to stay awake and functional: I have some kind of hypersomnia instead of the regular insomnia complaints patients have. Even though there are people that respond nicely to modafinil, I didn't feel anything while associating 200mg of it to my SSRI. I couldn't notice any improvement to my sleeping cycle or to my concentration. Side effects were absent too. Unfortunately it was not for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by Hebble: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil): It works well- it's brand is different than the generic.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 27, 2013 6:04 PM
Review by Grapler: User Rating:

modafinil for Fatigue: I have used this medicine on an as need to basis for two years or so and it has had remarkable effect on my ability to function normally and beyond using 100mg, sometimes twice a day if I need to keep going into the next day.

October 7, 2013 10:09 PM
Review by WorthaTry (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

modafinil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I started taking 200 mg of Modafinil a couple weeks ago for debilitating chronic fatigue. It has definitely had a positive effect, although a subtle one. I am more awake, better able to focus and it is easier to overcome the inertia required to start something. I haven't suddenly become energetic or highly productive like others, but there is a subtle difference. Unfortunately it has seriously impacted my sleep. My brain stays awake most of the night even though my body is exhausted. Additionally it gives me a pressure headache behind my eyes, and overall just makes me feel a little strange.

September 27, 2013 7:38 PM
Review by Kathy0323: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house.

September 23, 2013 8:06 PM
Review by Suze1227: User Rating:

modafinil for Depression: Had this added to my anti-depressant cocktail and I have to admit, it's given me more energy and increased my mood quite a bit. I was really surprised at it's effectiveness for depression and depression related fatigue. The only drawback for me is that I often get headaches when it starts to wear off. But overall a good medicine!

September 11, 2013 6:47 PM
Review by Cheri408 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I took Provigil along with Adderall and felt the best ever. I was alert, not on too much Adderall so I didn't feel bad from that--Then my insurance company wouldn't cover Provigil any more, they pushed Nuvigil--it made me sleepier.

September 6, 2013 2:40 AM
Review by Jackit: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Provigil worked for my narcolepsy for about 6 months. After that, I began to have bouts of insomnia at night and became ultra sleepy during the day times. I was prescribed sleep medications to help combat the new side effects. Things did not seem to improve. I also gained 40 pounds during the time I took Provigil (which was a total of 9 months). As a woman, gaining weight was my LEAST desirable side effect of all. Finally, I switched off of Provigil and returned to what was working for me originally, Adderall XR 30 mg one to two times per day (depending on what my schedule was like that day). I only switched off of Adderall XR originally because my doctor was concerned about the potential long term cardiovascular effects on my body.

September 3, 2013 11:50 AM
Review by C/OJAM: User Rating:

modafinil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: This med worked for me for about 2 weeks. It was amazing. But it seems I have started already become imune to it. I was so hoping it would work for me like it did everyone else. I am totally crushed that it isnt.

July 26, 2013 4:29 AM
Review by Sagemonkey: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Wide awake, enhanced reflexes, but too expensive.

July 25, 2013 8:47 AM
Review by AbbeyL (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I found that this medicine was good at keeping my body awake, but I still felt like my mind was falling asleep. After about 4 or 5 days on it I developed the worst migraine of my life...when I get migraines they usually resolve with just half of a Vicodin. After taking two full Vicodin's I still had the most raging migraine ever. It lasted for 3 days. Once it resolved I went back on the Provigil two days later another raging migraine. That was it for me.

July 13, 2013 1:15 PM
Review by baldbobc (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

modafinil for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: I'm finally getting 8 hours of sleep with significant REM. Having regular dreams for the first in decades (67 yrs old). Plenty of energy. ADHD symptoms, including: focus, short term memory, social interaction, feeling of well being, and a general calming effect have all improved dramatically. For about 5 years I took 60 mg/day of Dexedrine but had to stop due to blood pressure issues. Basically the same results without the side effects.

May 2, 2013 2:42 PM
Review by myoman (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date.

March 14, 2013 3:51 PM
Review by PattiPesh: User Rating:

modafinil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Modafinil has been a miracle for me. I suffered with chronic fatigue syndrome for 20 or so years, usually accompanied by severe depression. My doctor called one day and said his two other Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients has had remarkable success with this medicine and he wanted me to try it. Prior to trying it, my depression had lifted, but the fatigue always remained. Within a very short time, the fatigue lifted and NEVER returned. I experienced not a single side effect, and I have developed no tolerance problems with it. As a result, I have been using it successfully now for 13 years! My depression comes and goes, and most medications have proved useless over time, but the fatigue.... it's gone!

March 13, 2013 12:50 PM
Review by WingsWhisperSoftly (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

modafinil for Fatigue: Provigil (modafinil), literally changed the entire course of my life! I was prescribed this medicine for off-label use to treat depression & acute chronic fatigue. I also have BiPolar II, and I have had only minor difficulty with increased mania. The only reason I did not give this amazing medicine a 10 Rating is because I have experienced issues with building tolerance - that is - its effectiveness began to subside about 5 months after I began to take it. At that time I was taking 100mgs once a day in the mornings. My Dr. and I decided to increase the dose to 150mgs once a day in the morning and I felt terrific again! It's about 6 months later now, and again the amazingly wonderful effectiveness has decreased a great deal.

March 5, 2013 7:57 PM
Review by Sleepy Sister (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: For the past few years, my friends all made fun of me for how many naps I took. Eventually, I was not able to leave very far from my house lest I get a sleep attack and need to lay down immediately. I've slept everywhere - from the bathroom floor at my work (before I was fired for leaving early so many times to sleep) to friends cars during the middle of the day. After FINALLY getting a narcolepsy diagnosis (good luck getting insurance to pay without it - even the Patient Assist Program won't send you meds unless your diagnosis is documented) I am now experiencing how normal people must live. As long as I take the Provigil at the exact times I need to (100mg at 8am, noon, 4pm) I can work, making me feel like an asset to society again.

February 28, 2013 9:58 PM
Review by Modalert User: User Rating:

modafinil for Depression: I selected "depression" but this medicine has been beneficial for fatigue and hypersomnia as well. Started using this medicine in 2006! Yes, and I have tried almost everything else for depression, and I cannot say the side-effects or results from so-called approved depression medications were ever worth the horror they delivered. So, yes, I would recommend this for depression in the form of modafinil.

February 19, 2013 9:59 PM
Review by awake all day: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I've had delayed sleep phase syndrome, mood disorder and ADHD all my life, due to brain injury at birth and a family pattern of delayed sleep phase syndrome. I managed a successful professional career but with great difficulty and with struggles with different medications. I way overused caffeine, with mixed results and side effects. Provigil has been wonderful and I wish it had been available when I was a child and in school and working. I feel normal and alert and not constantly fighting sleepiness, inattention and depression. I can't help wondering how much better I might have done with this medicine. It is helping me with my second career as an artist.

January 23, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by bettyredd69 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I took Provigil for about 7 years. When I was working my insurance covered it. I had not idea of the price. It is wonderful medicine but way too expensive if you have to pay for it. Without any discounts it's approximately $1,300 per prescription. Am on Medicare now and they will not cover it so am no longer taking. It was great on keeping me from sleeping all the time and helped a lot with my depression. Perhaps the price will come down someday and I can start it again. Highly recommended.

January 9, 2013 4:26 PM
Review by DrWildCat (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

modafinil for Fatigue: My medications for depression worked fairly well but did not relieve the chronic fatigue, aches, and brain fog. Provigil has been a life changer for me. I feel alert, can concentrate, and have plenty of energy. I don't take it every day as I find it becomes less effective over time, so I take it "as needed". I've experienced no side effects at all - even less jitters than caffeine. The cost can be prohibitive and my insurance company just dropped it from their formulary so I have to depend on samples from my psychiatrist.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 6, 2013 5:33 PM
Review by hellogal (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

modafinil for Depression: Provigil was added to my meds for depression. I love it! Modafinil has made more of a difference than anything I've ever been given. I can concentrate now and actually have more get up and go than I've had in years. I take 100 mg everyday. Tried 200 mg, but feel just fine with 100 mg.

December 14, 2012 8:42 AM
Review by pjse545604 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with narcolepsy around 7th grade, and pretty much sleep through middle school. I took Ritalin about up to 10th grade which moderately helped me stay awake, but I still would always crash multiple times a day due to the fact that it doesn't completely eliminate excessive sleepiness and trying to perfect your taking-schedule really is crucial with any narcolepsy prescribed medication. When my neurologist started me on Provigil, I was pretty shocked by the lack of side-effects it had, and it was a somewhat natural awake feeling as others have mentioned. I went from taking 2 (200 mg) pills a day to taking 2-3 (200 mg) pills a day depending on my schedule, exercise, or exam studying.

December 5, 2012 10:38 PM