User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Modafinil review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Modafinil to treat Depression

Review by omchanti (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I take a 1/4 of a pill Modafinil together with 1/4 paroxetine 5mg in the morning, never felt better. I have tried other options like Wellbutrin, RITALIN but with erratic results, you should try modafinil and you would be surprised.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by D.M.N. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I selected depression but at this point I believe depression is a side effect to a larger Neurological issue and apnea. I was diagnosed with Depression years ago and after being put on tonnes of different medicines some of which were a nightmare I was upgraded to Bi-Polar. Along the way I gained about 100lbs and eventually ended up on a cocktail that included Seroquel which made me very sleepy all the time. I was initially given Provigil as a way to be awake during the day. It was a very positive improvement. After a while I was adjusted to Seroquel, Lamictal and Provigil, and it seemed to keep me stable but still lethargic. Eventually we tried lessening the Seroquel and eventually eliminated it. I am doing better than ever now for several years.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Fernanda P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My depression is responsible for a sleeping disorder that makes it very hard for me to stay awake and functional: I have some kind of hypersomnia instead of the regular insomnia complaints patients have. Even though there are people that respond nicely to modafinil, I didn't feel anything while associating 200mg of it to my SSRI. I couldn't notice any improvement to my sleeping cycle or to my concentration. Side effects were absent too. Unfortunately it was not for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Suze1227:

Had this added to my anti-depressant cocktail and I have to admit, it's given me more energy and increased my mood quite a bit. I was really surprised at it's effectiveness for depression and depression related fatigue. The only drawback for me is that I often get headaches when it starts to wear off. But overall a good medicine!

September 11, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Modalert User:

I selected "depression" but this medicine has been beneficial for fatigue and hypersomnia as well. Started using this medicine in 2006! Yes, and I have tried almost everything else for depression, and I cannot say the side-effects or results from so-called approved depression medications were ever worth the horror they delivered. So, yes, I would recommend this for depression in the form of modafinil.

February 19, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by hellogal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Provigil was added to my meds for depression. I love it! Modafinil has made more of a difference than anything I've ever been given. I can concentrate now and actually have more get up and go than I've had in years. I take 100 mg everyday. Tried 200 mg, but feel just fine with 100 mg.

December 14, 2012 8:42 AM

Review by sgc46:

I read the experiences of people on Provigil before I tried it and as I was in the midst of a very deep depression and has tried so many other anti-depressants. I was suicidal and desperate for help. As most other people found, it is a miracle! I cannot believe that I feel this good. I am back to my old positive self. I am taking 200 mgm in the morning. The last medicine that worked was Adderall which worked initially but wore off after a year. I still had the rapid heart beat, but the depression continued. Thank you to everyone who posted their positive feedback as it gave me hope that the medicine might work. This is an off label use, but it sure works for me!

March 9, 2012 5:35 AM

Review by Kibbles00:

Provigil (modafinil): Most awesome medicine ever made. Non- addictive. Will be used more for MS, MD and Parkinson's is much needed.

April 14, 2011 2:33 PM

Provigil (modafinil): I was initially prescribed this medication to address both a mild sleep apnea problem and persistent depression. Initially, it was indeed like a miracle drug. I felt better immediately and continued so for about a year. However, the drug then quickly became less effective and actually began to make my depression much worse. I very briefly switched to Nuvigil, but I continued with the worsening depression and ended up having to stop the medication. Within a few days of discontinuing the medication, I felt considerably better. I went on to other medications to help with the depression and fatigue. Provigil/Nuvigil has been a blessing for many people. However, as with many medications, their continued use can sometimes backfire.

March 3, 2010 4:36 AM

Provigil (modafinil): Provigil has been a HUGE help for me. I take nortriptyline for my depression. It works better than anything else I've tried but it makes it impossible for me to get up in the morning. When my alarm goes off at 7am I feel like I'm being tortured. I take half a tablet of Provigil at bedtime (11pm). It doesn't keep me from falling asleep but it does help me wake up alert at 7am. Without it, I'll sleep until at least 11:30am. This may be an off-label use but it makes it possible for me to take my antidepressant AND get to school/work on time.

January 6, 2010 12:29 PM

Review by hippychick-:

Provigil (modafinil): I've used it for 10 days now in my most recent attempt to kick meth. It helps so much. It won't buzz you, but it takes away the debilitating lethargy and depression.

August 7, 2009 6:04 AM

Provigil (modafinil): This turned me from a deep, suicidal depression into a happy, productive person in 2 days. I am also able to sleep without any sleep medicines (first time in years). My problem is that my insurance refuses to pay for it because using Provigil for depression/bipolar is off-label, and it is so expensive that I'm just starting to wean myself off of it, sadly. There is another drug, Nuvigil that is supposed to be even better, and is currently being tested (very positive results so far) for FDA approval in the use of it for depression and bipolar. It's been a long road for me, so I can only pray that the FDA moves quickly on this.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2009 9:06 AM

Review by jaguiar:

Provigil (modafinil): This is a WONDER DRUG in the use of depression. I have suffered for years with depression and never with any relief from the mainstream anti-depressants. Either the side effects were intolerable, or the medicine just didn't work. Within 3 days of taking Provigil, I was the happiest, most productive I had been in a year. The first 2 days I was still really sleepy, and the 3rd day, a little hyper, but after that day I have felt EXCELLENT. I don't have anxiety attacks anymore and I get a full night of "good" sleep and wake up feeling extremely refreshed and I am happy again. I was on my couch for a straight 6 months sleeping and crying until I started this medicine. It literally saved my life.

235 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2009 8:34 PM

I use several antidepressants, and I cannot function without them. Modafinil helped with my chronic fatigue, but it's not an antidepressant in my opinion. I can do a lot of things now. I'm so glad I heard about it. I take 200mg a day.

May 17, 2009 3:19 PM