User Reviews for Armodafinil

Also known as: Nuvigil

Learn more about Armodafinil.

ADHD 7 reviews 62 medications

Jet Lag 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Armodafinil reviews 193 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Armodafinil

Review by GingerCatAndJoe:

For Narcolepsy: I've been back on Nuvigil since the end of 2013. I had taken it in 2010, but had to stop due to cost. The results have been wonderful. No more falling asleep in meetings or while sitting and talking to people. I can even watch entire movies now without dozing off! The only downside, like others have mentioned, is that it wears off in the evening. I usually take it around 7am, but by 9:00pm, I'm dozing again, which isn't really that bad. The cost is annoying too. I have great insurance, but it is still $75 a month.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by Kmporter1985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed a year ago. I have cataplexy as well. I've been taking 250mg daily of Nuvigil for about 8 months and I'm very happy with it. The only complaint is that (as another person said) it doesn't last all day, I also crash out in the afternoon. If you have this problem I suggest eliminating idol time. I have noticed that if I keep myself busy I have no problem going through the day normally. I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever. Most of the other medications may keep you awake all day, but seeing as the side effects can be devastating for many people, I'll take the extra effort to keep my idol time to a minimum and unlike the other medicines I've tried, I don't feel like I need a higher dose every 3 months.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 6:10 PM

Review by laahenry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: Works well at the right dose. I am not afraid to drive now and I don't zone out at work anymore. That being said it is really a shame that it is entirely too expensive and I won't be able to continue taking it. With my insurance, it is still about $190 per month or 3 house payments a year for me! WOW!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by Obstructive Sleep Apnea (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: After trying the CPAP machine for a short time, I had to resort to medication instead. I couldn't breath through my nose due to deviated septum, narrow nasal passages. CPAP was useless. It kept me awake at night, uncomfortable, dug into my nose.Surgery on nose 12/13 & breathing better, but still had issues staying awake at wrong times. Had to fight for Nuvigil and Insurance. Finally allowed 1yr, Whole pill, talk 2 much. 1/2pill not enough What to do? ... But great.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Amberosy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I have been on Nuvigil for about 3 months now and see a little bit of difference. Previously I was on Ritalin which worked pretty much the same as Nuvigil. My doctor is currently giving me a trial period for 150mg once daily. I take one daily at 6-8 am and it lasts me till around noon. I then start to crash and when driving I still have a hard time staying awake. My doctor says it is because I need a higher dosage and will hopefully be starting that the next Drs visit. I highly recommend Nuvigil if you can afford it but if not Ritalin in my opinion works just as well.

December 21, 2013 8:23 AM

Review by Luna24 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy about 18 months ago after battling constant fatigue no matter how much sleep I received at night or how many naps I took throughout the day. Nuvigil has changed my life! I take one pill daily, and I am able to live a normal life outside of the fog that I was constantly living in before my diagnosis. I had a lot of side effects when I first started taking Nuvigil which included headaches, dry mouth, cramping, nausea, loss of appetite, and dizziness, but those were nothing compared to being able to finally live my life fully for the first time! I felt like before I was swimming in murky water unable to see or function, and after the medication I can actually experience life and interact with people!

December 16, 2013 4:06 PM

Review by Kris214:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia with long sleep time. Before Nuvigil, I would sleep 16-20 hours per day, and nothing could keep me awake. This medicine has completely changed my life. I am on the highest dosage (250mg). At first, the medicine gave me a terrible headache and made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach. After about two to three weeks, the side effects almost completely subsided. I feel like a normal person now. I take the medicine early in the morning when my first alarm goes off. Sometimes, I fall back to sleep, or I can stay up and relax watching T.V or something. An hour or two later it is easy to wake. Energy throughout the day, and doesn't keep me up at night. This allows me to live "normally". I feel little to no side effects and get sleepy before bedtime, energized all day.

December 7, 2013 11:41 AM

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for : Overall I'm doing better. I've lost weight and have more energy but my tongue is a bit swollen and mouth is dry and everything is very, very salty tasting. I have very vivid dreams but I'm able to sleep at night. I'm also on Latuda 40mgs at night. I have no desire to eat or drink and I'm not urinating a lot which has caused an infection and does not help with body pain. I will continue to take it because I'm able to work two jobs.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2013 10:18 AM

Review by TRWRN:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: During a yearly checkup, my doctor impressively picked up on my sleep disorder (personally, I thought he was nuts; I felt it was just all the crazy stress in my life that made me want to sleep at any chance I got). Well, my sleep study came back severely abnormal. What?? Are you kidding me??? He was right! I was diagnosed with excessive daytime sleepiness/narcolepsy without cataplexy. Since then, I have been on Nuvigil 250mg. I cannot begin to tell you the difference it has made! The response was immediate for me, and I'm so glad I no longer have to sleep my days away! What an interesting field of medicine! I believe what they know about sleep now is just a scratch on the surface on how it impacts our health and well being.

November 19, 2013 5:25 PM

Review by kristibarb, wv (taken for less than 1 month):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: I've been on nuvigil 150mg for over a week now, I work rotating shifts at work five days a week. I have had several side effects that was not the best, however the benefit have outweighed the risk. I have noticed that I can actually stay awake and not have the overwhelming urge to sleep. Which to me is wonderful to able to funtion like a normal person again, I'm still tired though, but functioning, and at the end of the day that is all I can ask for!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by Sleep Apnea & Shift Worker (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: Have had sleep apnea for awhile and started using CPAP machine alone about 6 months before also adding Nuvigil. Nuvigil helps me get through my work shifts more effectively, especially when transitioning from working 3rd shift to having 3 days off and having to conform with a normal sleep pattern. I liken this medication to taking a 5 hr energy, but it is more effective and lasts longer. I still yawn, but my brain is fully alert and am able to concentrate like I haven't been able to in years. I'm quite impressed - only side effects have been minor headaches a few days a month and at first a slight nauseated feeling. No jitters or nervousness - love it! Insurance co-pay was $45.00 but the Nuvigil Rx Savings Card brought my co-pay down to $5.

November 6, 2013 5:35 AM

Review by Firefighter Dave (taken for less than 1 month):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: I have been taking Nuvigil for a week and every day I get headaches and my eyes are sensitive to light. Overall I love feeling back to normal and not tired all the time. I have tried cutting my pills in 1/2 and 1/4s to stop the side effects no luck.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 10:13 PM

Review by DK2727:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I've been on Nuvigil for 4 years and it's stopped being as effective. I'm currently on 125 mg twice a day, and 37.5 mg Adipex twice a day. The Adipex has absolutely helped my weight (down 14 lbs in 15 days, 40lbs to go) but not much help with the wakefulness. I'm falling asleep in the afternoon and driving is a nightmare. It takes A LOT for insurance to cover. Without all the hoops my doctor has agreed to jump through, it would be $685 per month.

August 5, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Watsonsrus8:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I have been on Nuvigil for about one year. I have fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Before Nuvigil I couldn't stay awake. When I would have my morning coffee I would be fighting sleep. Although I am still very tired and weak I can stay awake for the entire day now. I feel this is the most important medicine I take. It works for both CFS and Fibromyalgia.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2013 3:15 AM

Review by Tired John:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: Shift work at plant. Medicine allows me to think at 2 am when my body is shutting down. This medicine is not magic. You will not have magical capabilities to learn and solve the worlds problems. But you may function somewhat normally as a person again. Do feel some euphoria an hour after taking.

July 3, 2013 5:53 AM

Review by Jade Aurora (taken for less than 1 month):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Hypersomnia: I've been fighting with sleep issues for 9 years now, and was just diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia this Wednesday. I've been taking 250mg/day of Nuvigil since Friday morning. The medication worked great during the day on Friday. I used to sleep somewhere between 12 - 18 hours per day, and would fall asleep any time. I was relaxed up until then. However, I couldn't sleep Friday night at all. Took it again Saturday morning after no sleep, and it dragged me through the day. Still couldn't force myself to sleep Saturday night. Finally slept 3 hours last night after experiencing hallucinations. Hoping I'll acclimate well after a few weeks, as Friday I felt better during the day than ever before. Want that feeling back again.

July 1, 2013 10:22 AM

Review by KamyMenapace:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: I diagnosed myself after reading a pamphlet in the Doctors office the other day. It was like reading the story of my life for the last couple of years. She put me on Nuvigil and I'm currently on my second day of it. I've noticed a lot more awakeness and anxiety. Slight heart issues I think like racing from time to time and one severely sharp pain yesterday but otherwise I really feel much better. Too bad it's too late to save my marriage but at least I will be able to build a new life where before there would have been no way to cope. Wish me luck guys. I've had no headaches or jaw issues either.

June 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Review by Johnjr602:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: I am an industrial electrician. I work rotating 12 hours. After enough time my body got used to it and I was able to make it through the nights and not feel awful. Then I heard a commercial for Nuvigil. So I figured I would give it a try. This is not a miracle. This won't give you special powers and a super intelligence. What it has allowed me to do was still be able to think when I couldn't before. At 3 in the morning when a problem presents itself I need to be able to think through it. I don't feel an energy rush like with a cup of coffee. I feel like a normal person again. I'm able to not feel lethargic every single minute I'm awake.

May 30, 2013 3:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: No negative effects and noticeable increase in brain function.

May 4, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by Justme (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: Was diagnosed with depression, then bi-polar, then bipolar narcolepsy. Cocktail I was on for well over a year was 5mg Abilify, 60mg Cymbalta and 250mg NuVigil. Recently came off the Abilify and I can't even explain how good I felt, not high, not mania, just that "finally, just me" feeling. I was content with life, at peace and for the first time in YEARS I was even happy! After a week of no Abilify we decided to begin weaning off the NuVigil. Been taking 150mg Nuvigil 60mg Cymbalta for a week now and feel horrible. Don't care about a thing, no motivation, tired, etc. Doc said give it a month. Hope I can last that long. I just want ME back, as does my wife and kids.

May 1, 2013 11:43 AM

Review by Disapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: This medicine does a great job! I thought "wow" I've finally found something to help me make it through the night without side effects. Almost. On my second prescription I developed scattered hives. My Dr. Said take an antihistamine and try again, since it hadn't done this before. I thought that might work until I got hives in more and more places each time I took it (I only take it when needed). When I developed the hives in very personal places that's when I decided I have no choice but to not take it. I don't know why it took so long to cause an allergic reaction. I wish it didn't because it really does work great. I'm hoping to find something else that does same thing that I'm not allergic to.

April 22, 2013 4:22 PM

Review by DPac:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Depression: Nuvigil worked the first day and did nothing thereafter. I was using it to alleviate the sleepiness and lethargy from Zoloft.

April 14, 2013 9:39 AM

Review by BurtBurt:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Depression: Provigil then Nuvigil (slightly less expensive) helped save my life. Took Provigil first, switched to Nuvigil (same effect), for 6.5 years now. Day one value, no side effects as far as I know. Still same dose (250mg Nuvigil, equivalent of 200mg Provigil), never increased or decreased. Effect same today as day one. Note: I've been on a "cocktail": 20mg Lexapro and 1mg Klonopin daily, plus daily mindfulness meditation and weekly CBT. But 6.5 years of lovely life after 3 terrible episodes of major depression in under 6 years. Certainly have ups and downs, but not severe and brief. If I run out for a few days I'm grumpier, less resilient but Nuvigil greatly clarifies my thinking and energizes me. It's not for all, but miracle for me.

April 9, 2013 11:24 AM

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: Works great, able to stay awake at work and able to sleep during the day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2013 2:06 AM

Review by Onnie Rose:

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Depression: I found Nuvigal to bring my life back from depression. Before Nuvigal I couldn't keep my eyes open and live my normal life with 3 boys! Now, after Nuvigal I can actually play with my kids and be a normal mother. I don't know where I would be without it. It really turned my life around for the best!

April 4, 2013 11:16 PM