User Reviews for Dextroamphetamine

Also known as: Dexedrine, Dextrostat, Liquadd, ProCentra, Zenzedi

Learn more about Dextroamphetamine.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 4 reviews 21 medications

8.2
Summary of Dextroamphetamine reviews 76 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Dextroamphetamine

Review by Seigfred:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at 18 years old, I have been taking Dexedrine for a little over a year now. I recommend using Dexedrine because it does a great job of keeping you awake without the nasty side effects that other medicines bring, like Adderall. Dexedrine has really changed my life, I am able to confidently drive and good at work without having to worry about falling asleep. I really wish I had this in High School. For all the younger people out there with narcolepsy ask your doctor to put you on Dexedrine, it's less expensive than Adderall and Vyvanse (Vyvanse didn't work for me I fell asleep several times on it). The side effects I find with it is sometimes it gives me mood swings, most of the time its a feeling of optimism.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2014 11:38 AM

Review by RadicalDelusion (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however.

December 29, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Sleepingstar (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: Along with narcolepsy, I've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been taking dexedrine for the last 4 years. At first it was 5mg tablets which worked for a couple months. As soon as my dose was increased to 10mg spansules a day, my life has been so much easier since then. I can actually concentrate on one thing without wanting to quit in the middle and take a nap. Many side effects including dry mouth almost every day, heart pounding, loss of appetite leading to weight loss, muscles twitching, and severe tiredness if I suddenly stop taking it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by pipsey (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: Recently diagnosed with adult ADHD. Prescribed dextroamphetamine 3 x per day at 10 mg. Because I suffer extreme anxiety and an active racing mind with various clusters of thoughts going on at any given time I was anxious about taking this medication thinking it would amplify it all. Taking this medicine has helped slow the mind to a point I can pick and choose what I allow myself to think about, I feel so much more in control which is amazing. There is a level of anxiety still but its manageable and not overwhelming like it was before taking dextroamphetamine, I feel like I am the driver of my mind and not the passenger anymore. It has helped to regulate my emotional instability. I am also on 100 mg of Pristiq which seems to compliment the overall effect.

December 3, 2014 1:00 AM

Review by procadman:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: I have used it for over 15 years. An EEG showed I had quite a bit of extraneous thought, a left and right hemisphere that had identical thought processes and a temporal lobe that was off the chart. Dexedrine changed my life. Unfortunately many Doctors are using outdated/outmoded technology and refuse to prescribe it.

November 13, 2014 4:49 PM

Review by Dude11:

For ADHD: Prior to beginning taking two 30 mg Zenzedi a day, my life consisted of a boring monotonous and down right annoying daily drudgery, which some refer to as work..... However, now, four months later, I'm buying a house, I have a better job in the same field which I absolutely love, I'm beginning to budget my money, and daily I plan for the future. Rather than living paycheck to paycheck and seeing no end in sight, I now have a fool proof plan to pay my bills on time and have enough left over to unashamedly spend on nonessentials. In short, my life has taken a turn for the best since starting this medication. Prior to this I never believed that any pharmaceutical could help anyone at all, but now, I see that I was just young and foolish.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by Deano64:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: Heightened sexual experience and multiple erections. At times orgasm may come faster but recovery is fast and frequent.

October 3, 2014 4:45 PM

Review by Aria28 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: I would suggest anyone on this, to stop or take a break once you've noticed your reasoning, memory recall abilities becoming hindered. Even though I'm happy with the benefits of focus, it's not worth losing your short-term memory. Overtime, I noticed my math skills declined, followed by my word recall, spelling and now I can't remember stories or study material. It's extremely debilitating, I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the side effects.

September 22, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Wolverine1999 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: This worked from the very second I started on it 5 years ago; Helped me focus like never before, although being someone with OCD who noticed most things anyway, this magnified it 10 fold. Gave a reserve of energy that helped even when tired. Only side-effects were that you build up a tolerance rather quickly when it comes to the original effect, I began to grind my teeth as I slept, and Had the worst dry mouth ever...could drink a gallon of water in 2 minutes and still have the driest mouth ever. Would recommend.

July 27, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by Watchilla:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: Hopefully my experience will give some with Narcolepsy a little bit of relief taking this medicine. I started taking Dexedrine when I was 31 years old and 100 tablets of Dexedrine cost $5. I am now 71 years old and have been taking this for 40 years and I am still alive without any bad side effects that I am aware of. After taking Dexedrine, I finished nursing school and became an RN. Since that time I have retired. As a teenager in high school, I thought that studying was going to my bed with a book and falling asleep. If it wasn't for a clerical course, I would have never graduated as I couldn't fall asleep typing or taking shorthand. I was amazed how Dexedrine helped me. My does is 2 10 mg tablets 3 times a day.

July 19, 2014 12:10 PM

Review by NOELVM1:

For ADHD: I had to search to find a doctor willing to prescribe this because it is excepted from most malpractice insurance policies and the doctors are afraid they might get sued if something bad happens. So much better than Adderall which is a joke and it's cheaper. No side effects for me either going on or off the medicine but my ability to concentrate again is amazing.

July 8, 2014 4:31 AM

Review by Cubster:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: Like Adderall without an increased heart rate and increased blood pressure. Also less "edgy".

June 6, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by that kathydee lady (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: This was one of many I tried. I was more satisfied with this one than any of the others. I never had headaches(with some I had terrible headaches!) the time release worked very well. Overall I rate this medicine the best in it's category.

May 13, 2014 6:39 PM

Review by Burchmissouri:

For Hypersomnia: I sleep 18-22 hours a day. Dr. Prescribed this medication to help me sleep less. It was a miracle at first. I started to eat like never before . It does help to stay awake (very subtle). After about 35 days on it, I started to sleep more and more. Doctor changed dose to 15 mg twice a day. Eating out of control and I was very unaware of my maniacs. I'm now on 30 mg twice a day. Mania has slowed, eating is still over indulgent.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Sim123:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: Great medicine, I recently restarted this medicine after 10 years and I feel normal again. This medicine has given me great peace in my life. I feel calm and collected and I'm quickly understanding what its like to have "free time" I insist that people who find results using this medicine ensure those in government understand the increase in quality of life we are all experiencing. I've rated this medicine 10/10 purely because any cons I've experienced are meaningless compared to been given a life.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2014 4:01 AM

Review by Daniellemet:

For Narcolepsy: I had a motor vehicle accident when I was 21, I am now 39 and have been on Dexedrine 9 months. This has been a saviour for my life in many aspects. I have never been able to read a book. Either, I would lose interest on the first line or lose attentiveness because of my sleeping disorder. I lived with this problem for almost 20 years. I never knew anything different, simply because I've never been one to hang around large crowds to compare other female lifestyles my age, plus became a young mother at 21. My parents never said anything to me. They just let me have my 2 hr nap daily to rejuvenate myself. The other positive that Dexedrine has given me is the confidence to really pursue a career of becoming a Dentist.

February 2, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by TB-303:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: I'm 46 and was diagnosed with ADHD 2 times when I was a kid but never took the medicine. My life's always felt out of control and emotional roller coaster. I tried Adderall first but it made me to jumpy. I switched to Dextroamphetamine and once I got past the first week and up to my 20 mg a day everything became so much easier to deal with in life. Less stress, better sleep at night and makes me feel "normal". Best medicine in the world but the cost is absolutely ridiculous as I have no insurance.

December 23, 2013 2:00 AM

Review by MaximillianL:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: Dexedrine is a SUPERB medication for controlling ADHD Impulsivity. It's a 100% smooth and clean ride compared to Adderall. Unfortunately for me though I lack motivation so Adderall is a better choice for me. I did rate this out of Symptom control. If Dexedrine motivated like Adderall does it would literally be the perfect medication. Pros: Superior Focus Reduced Impulsive decisions the best. Side effects are minimal compared to Adderall Cons: Lacks motivational Kick that Adderall delivers. Only comes in 5MG, 10MG, & 15MG Capsules and is expensive.

November 30, 2013 8:00 PM

Review by plan b (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fatigue: mostly positive, give me the little extra path I need my stuff in order to get my day going.I regret that my fatigue got to the point that I needed medical assistance in order to function as a regular person.

November 3, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Beth14:

For Fatigue: I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have been taking this medicine for about 7 years now. It gave me my life back. I used to be so tired that I couldn't get out of bed or participate in life. The only problem is I have grown tolerant to it, and am at the maximum dosage, so I don't get as much energy from it as I used to. But I couldn't function or live without it.

October 31, 2013 12:59 AM

Review by Sauce3000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: Adderall 30mg/day = you feel like a genius, work hard, EYES OPEN WIDE. But at the end of the work day, I still couldn't stop myself from falling asleep on the skytrain at around 4:30 pm when I try to read. Don't think it helped much with depression and anxiety. Dexedrine 3 10mg/day = You have tunnel vision, Focused, block out distractions, helps with my severe anxiety. I think the depression is pretty under control too. Can read all day if I want. Could have really used this when I began my studies, 4 years ago! Not a month ago, with one course.... Either one, I think you perform better at work and school, but Adderall just wore off, so studying after work, you would still need coffee, or a power nap

October 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by mikel52588 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For ADHD: For me it's smoother than Adderall XR, less of the jitters/jumpy. Been on it for a while, and it's the best I've come across. (Desoxyn made me feel tired/yawn, Adderall gave me jitters and suppressed appetite too much, Ritalin was just bad). At first just like Adderall you will experience some back pain and need to drink extra glasses of water for cotton-mouth, but after that.. It's more normal. I've also found to some extent taking a magnesium supplement helps to keep the potency alive. As with all of the ADD meds the potency tends to fade.

October 5, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by Hummer Guy:

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: This is a wonderful medication. I am so happy I switched from Adderall. I find the focus and concentration to be awesome. Without a doubt it is the cleanest feeling ADHD medications on the market. If you have co-morbid anxiety disorders, this is the medicine to go for. I always felt anxious on Adderal or Ritalin, but the Dexedrine is so smooth that I find my anxiety is being helped! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ADHD, especially when others have caused increased agitation. I believe this is the best ADHD medicine on the market.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by balanceandcomposure:

For ADHD: I am now able to focus, not as inattentive. For the first time in 23 years I am able to read and write without losing interest after a sentence. My brain no longer feels as though it is racing or "Pinging" like a party. I find I am more settled in social situations and my impulsiveness has reduced 80%. My dosage is 5mg (first dose) then 2.5mg every 3 afters there after. If I skip my dosage for more than a day, my mind starts wandering and I am severely inattentive and by day 2 my brain and body feels so full of energy I just want to be a menace and scream at everything whilst running a marathon (except I'd get bored of running after 2 minutes ha ha). I wish I had not gone untreated for so long as this medication has saved my life.

July 22, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by TROUThunter:

For Narcolepsy: After several back surgeries on a good deal of pain meds. Fight everyday to get out of bed. If I have a specific goal I can get up, otherwise in bed for 15 hours. After two weeks of 15 mg dextroamphetamine in the morning. I have begun to get a life back. More focused and life has become more enjoyable. Had issues with falling asleep at stop lights (3x) and nodding off mid sentence while reading. NO MORE!

July 15, 2013 4:10 PM