Generic Name: perampanel (per-AM-pa-nel)
Brand Name: Fycompa
Serious or possibly life-threatening mental, mood, or behavior problems have been reported in patients who take perampanel. Watch patients who take perampanel closely. Contact the doctor at once if new, worsened, or sudden symptoms such as aggression, anger, hostility, irritable or violent behavior, or any unusual change in behavior, mood, or personality occur while taking perampanel or after it has been stopped.
Perampanel is used for:
Treating partial-onset seizures in certain patients with epilepsy. It is used in combination with other medicines.
Perampanel is an anticonvulsant. Exactly how it works is not known, but it may work by slowing abnormal nerve impulses in the brain.
Do NOT use perampanel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in perampanel
- you have severe liver or kidney problems, or you are on dialysis
- you are taking rifampin or St. John's wort
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using perampanel:
Some medical conditions may interact with perampanel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems
- if you have a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression), behavior problems (eg, aggression, hostility), suicidal thoughts or actions, or alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence
- if you take other medicine for seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with perampanel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, primidone, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease perampanel's effectiveness
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by perampanel
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if perampanel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use perampanel:
Use perampanel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Perampanel comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get perampanel refilled.
- Take perampanel by mouth with or without food.
- Taking perampanel at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take perampanel even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not suddenly stop taking perampanel. You may have an increased risk of seizures. If you need to stop perampanel, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- If you miss a dose of perampanel, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss more than 1 dose of perampanel.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use perampanel.
Important safety information:
- Perampanel may cause dizziness, drowsiness, decreased balance or coordination, or tiredness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use perampanel with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking perampanel.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using perampanel; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose, change your dose, or stop taking perampanel without checking with your doctor.
- Patients who take perampanel may be at an increased risk of suicidal thoughts or actions. The risk may be greater in patients who have had suicidal thoughts or actions in the past. Watch patients who take perampanel closely. Contact the doctor at once if new, worsened, or sudden symptoms, such as depressed mood; anxious, restless, or irritable behavior; panic attacks; or any unusual change in mood or behavior, occur. Contact the doctor right away if any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions occur.
- Perampanel may increase your chance of falling. These falls may cause serious injuries. The risk may be greater in elderly patients.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using perampanel. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms). Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including liver or kidney function, may be performed while you use perampanel. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use perampanel with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Perampanel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using perampanel while you are pregnant. It is not known if perampanel is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use perampanel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of perampanel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; light-headedness; nausea; tiredness; weight gain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred or double vision; confusion; decreased coordination or loss of balance; memory problems; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, aggressiveness, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, hostility, impulsiveness, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); new or worsening seizures; severe or persistent drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness; shortness of breath; speech problems; suicidal thoughts or attempts; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; trouble sleeping; trouble speaking.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of perampanel:
Store perampanel at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep perampanel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about perampanel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Perampanel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take perampanel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about perampanel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to perampanel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using perampanel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about perampanel
- Other brands: Fycompa