Generic Name: balsalazide (bal-SAL-a-zide)
Brand Name: Colazal
Balsalazide is used for:
Treating mildly to moderately active inflammation of the colon (ulcerative colitis). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Balsalazide is an anti-inflammatory. How it works is not fully known. It appears to reduce ulcerative colitis (inflammation of the colon) by preventing the production of substances that cause the inflammation.
Do NOT use balsalazide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in balsalazide, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen), or any medicine containing a salicylate (eg, aspirin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using balsalazide:
Tell your health care provider if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney disease, intestinal blockage, or certain stomach problems (eg, pyloric stenosis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with balsalazide. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Meglitinide antidiabetics (eg, repaglinide), sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide), or valproic acid because the risk of their side effects may be increased by balsalazide
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), probenecid, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by balsalazide
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if balsalazide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use balsalazide:
Use balsalazide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take balsalazide by mouth with or without food.
- If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over a spoonful of applesauce. Mix the medicine with the applesauce and swallow the mixture right away, followed by a glass of water. You may crush or chew the medicine before swallowing if necessary. Do not store the mixture for future use.
- If you miss a dose of balsalazide, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use balsalazide.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better of if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Balsalazide should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 5 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using balsalazide while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use balsalazide, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of balsalazide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; heartburn; joint or muscle pain; loss of appetite; nausea; runny or stuffy nose; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; fatigue; fever; rectal bleeding; signs of infection (eg, chills or persistent sore throat); yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of balsalazide:
Store balsalazide at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep balsalazide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about balsalazide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Balsalazide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take balsalazide or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about balsalazide. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to balsalazide. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using balsalazide.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.