User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs, Sulfazine

Learn more about Sulfasalazine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 7 reviews 186 medications

4.3
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 37 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I don't recommend this med... Just two days of taking this and a severe headache every time. Gonna see my rhumy to change this med.."

BAD MED (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have only been on this med for 4 months. It has helped with my stiffness. My body would become so stiff, felt like I had pre death rigormortis... especially after sitting for any length of time. Getting up from a sitting position was extremely painful and awkward. My only complaint about the med is that it is to large for me to swallow. I take 3 per day, and I am fearful that I will choke on them. They scrape my throat and esophagus when I take them. Wish they would change the shape and coat them to make them easier to take."

mygoldens April 25, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was on sulfasalazine after being diagnosed with PSA. My first arthritis medication. I was also experiencing reactive arthritis when first diagnosed. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day. I had some quite adverse reactions to start, trouble sleeping and nausea. Rheumatologist suggested humeria. After reading up on humeria I decided it was worth trying to soldier through a longer trial period with sulfasalazine before switching, eating plain food etc. to minimise impacts of side effects. So glad I did. Now at 4 tabs/day. All the side effects are now gone and I can eat normally. Sulfasalazine has reduced joint inflammation to the point that I can exercise. I recommend giving sulfasalazine side effects a bit of time to equalize."

Hilara April 7, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started on sulfasalazine three months ago. First four weeks difficult as experienced headache, palpitations and felt exhausted. I also had severe mouth ulcers and required antibiotic therapy. Found increasing tabs weekly too intense so reduced increase to four weekly and found my body tolerated increase better. Now on two am and one pm and starting to see improvement in swelling and flare. Noted once flare starts it was time to increase dose. Started feeling aches all over this weekend so plan to increase to two am and two pm. Will update on progress. Nb in uk"

Toli (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "I've only been taking this for 2 1/2 weeks but I'm very impressed that my chronic loose stools have completely stopped! I've noticed no negative side effects and if mild constipation is a side effect, I welcome it. I am now taking a little less loperamide and I'll be experimenting to see if increasing dosages of sulfasalizine will enable me to take even less loperamide. Later I'll get blood tests to make sure the new drug isn't having negative effects that I don't notice. After all these years dealing with diarrhea, I'm so grateful my doc suggested I try this stuff!"

ljerrnbf5 February 1, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at the age of 45. Very early stages according to my doctor. He placed me on Sulfasalazine. Started 1 pill per day for 2 weeks then 2 a day the next week then 3x per day the following week. When I made it to the 3x per day I had a terrible reaction. Severe nausea, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noticed I felt weak and was about to go to the emergency room. I stopped immediately and felt better within days. I'm diabetic and tested my blood sugar and did notice a massive drop on this medication. The symptoms I was having could have been low blood sugar. The sulfasalazine may have reacted to my metformin to cause low blood sugar. I was switched to Plaquenil."

Rich N. January 13, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on this medication for 6 months. Started off with 2 pills a day, then went to 4 pills a day, now on 6 pills a day. Also take 2 Celebrex a day. I'm on/off prednisone when I get flare ups. Cold temps seem to make my symptoms worse. Sulfasalazine seems to help, but when I have a flare up, it's bad. Flu symptoms and extremely tired. I don't think the meds help with my fatigue and that's very frustrating."

LWatt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "severe headache (seems like my head is gonna explode) nausea & vomiting"

Jing2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "can't tell much difference if any"

aggravated October 22, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I'm a 31 year old male. I've had Little to no side effects. I had loose stool for the first week other than that I've had no problems. I wouldn't say it's a miracle drug but it has relieved my pain significantly within the first 2 weeks. My wife is happy because I complain about a 1/4 as much lol. Still have some lower back pain but my neck pain has pretty much disappeared. The rest of my body feels better but like I said not 100% (that may be because I'm getting older, who knows lol). Very thankful for this drug. I've been on it for about 4 months."

DannyBoy718 September 16, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My reaction was unusual! After the second week I began to get daily severe headaches and raised temperature, after the third week my temperature was quite high, still severe headaches, doctor thought it was an infection, blood tests showed extremely high CRP, ESR and raised liver enzymes, also extremely low blood pressure. I was taken off sulfasalazine and treated with antibiotics, improved quickly, recommenced medicine and had exactly the same reaction within aweek!"

Moggie 1 February 26, 2015

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Worked really well when I was younger. Now 30 years later, it isn't as effective, and it causes stomach upset. Even when taken with food."

beccacamden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2014

For Crohn's Disease: "Severe flare put me in the hospital. Have had no problems in 9 months of taking sulfasalazine went against doctors advice choose this over stronger medication. All labs have been good since. Also got a new doctor!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2014

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "After being on methotrexate and Humira I experienced no relief as well as a SEVERE LIFE THREATENING episode called Ludwigs Angina, ended up in a coma for 4 days, and was told if I had waited 1/2 hr longer to go to ER, I probably wouldn't have survived! I swore off all arthritic medicines for a year, except for pain medicines. Rheumatologist understood, and after a year suggested we start back very passively as opposed to aggressively to treatment. She suggested SSZ (sulfasalazine) and I reluctantly agreed. I was told it could take up to 3-4 months before I would see any improvement. Within 3 weeks I felt like a new person, I've been on it for a year and feel wonderful!"

Jbm61 June 25, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Rheumatoid arthritis since 1994, pretty severe case. Had to stop taking Humira and methotrexate due to repeated bouts with pneumonia and lung damage. Currently on sulfasalazine, Plaquenil and prednisone. Occasional flares but things are basically back under control."

SGM May 6, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis: "The only positives I have personally is no side effects and less expensive than other medications for ulcerative colitis. "

mpsprowl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2014

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking this medication for a while now, along with Azathioprine and Prednisone. Just today I stopped the Prednisone, after decreasing by a half each week. I experienced some remission of the Prednisone after I was at 2 and 1/2 pills, and bumped it back up to 5. I haven't experienced any bad side effects of the Sulfazine, and my only complaint is that it is really chalky. I am 13, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost a year ago."

sarahyue April 7, 2014

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "In remission all labs and inflamatory markers normal. No side effects other than a headache once in a while."

Washington State (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Have been on sulfasalazine for a year since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I am grateful to have it since other medicines aren't an option for me due to unexplained elevated liver enzymes. It has helped the pain of rheumatoid arthritis quite a lot and my inflammation has gone down. I just wish it addressed the fatigue."

Dbestdeb March 7, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking sulfasalazine for 19 years, the age of my son. As a baby I could not lift him, my wrists were too painful. My rheumatoid arthritis was in 15 joints, symmetrical, etc. I was on the Dutch COBRA study, combining sulfasalazine, methotrexate and prednisone, except I was in the placebo group getting only sulfasalazine. It kicked in after 6 weeks and do far has worked well. Some issues with my left foot started a year ago, but it doesn't stop me hiking in The Alps for a week."

MarkMan (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on it since 2009 due to severe back pain. I was told I have ankylosing spondilitis, a disease which affects joints. But this medicine improved my condition up to the point that I can lead a normal life again."

vaibhavr February 3, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I slowly increased the dose weekly. I was ok on 2 a day but once increased to 3 my eyesight got a little worse. I reduced them for while then slowly up to 4 a day. The nausea was terrible I also felt really ill and very tired but didn't know why. Had to take time off work I felt so bad. Lowered dose to 2 again and was better but once I tried to increase it again the nausea and ill feelings came back. Stopped them and eventually felt better. Didn't realise just how bad they had affected me until I was back to normal again!"

Jelly B (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2014

For Crohn's Disease: "I tried Lialda, Pentasa, and a few other medicines for my moderate Crohn's Disease and they all made it worse. I tried Sulfasalazine and I am symptom free as long as I don't forget to take any doses. If I miss a dosage I may have some loose stool but after I go back to taking it I once again am symptom free."

eric017 May 24, 2013

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I LOVE THIS MEDICINE! I had tried many medicines before this including methotrexate which was HORRIBLE-they all made me so ill. I only had loose stools at the start of treatment as a side effect, no others. I take it alone, without NSAIDs and it manages all my pain and swelling like a champ. I have had no flares and I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. My hair also stopped falling out after the 1st 2 months of taking it. It literally changed my life without shutting down my immune system. I could not be happier."

Lora S. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2013

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "My constant infections from Mycoplasma infections are a thing of the past. This medicine has kept intestinal leakage and polyps from recurring, keeps the blood in my urine to a minimum and constant kidney infections from recurring."

RTRAVER (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2013