User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs, Sulfazine

Learn more about Sulfasalazine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Psoriatic Arthritis 4 reviews 73 medications

4.5
Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance 0 reviews 15 medications

Alopecia 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis 0 reviews 115 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lymphocytic Colitis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ulcerative Colitis, Active 0 reviews 69 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis 0 reviews 95 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 21 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Review by sarahyue: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: I have been taking this medication for a while now, along with Azathioprine and Prednisone. Just today I stopped the Prednisone, after decreasing by a half each week. I experienced some remission of the Prednisone after I was at 2 and 1/2 pills, and bumped it back up to 5. I haven't experienced any bad side effects of the Sulfazine, and my only complaint is that it is really chalky. I am 13, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost a year ago.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2014 12:03 AM
Review by Washington State (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: In remission all labs and inflamatory markers normal. No side effects other than a headache once in a while.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 4:20 PM
Review by Dbestdeb: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Have been on sulfasalazine for a year since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I am grateful to have it since other medicines aren't an option for me due to unexplained elevated liver enzymes. It has helped the pain of rheumatoid arthritis quite a lot and my inflammation has gone down. I just wish it addressed the fatigue.

March 7, 2014 10:31 AM
Review by MarkMan (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking sulfasalazine for 19 years, the age of my son. As a baby I could not lift him, my wrists were too painful. My rheumatoid arthritis was in 15 joints, symmetrical, etc. I was on the Dutch COBRA study, combining sulfasalazine, methotrexate and prednisone, except I was in the placebo group getting only sulfasalazine. It kicked in after 6 weeks and do far has worked well. Some issues with my left foot started a year ago, but it doesn't stop me hiking in The Alps for a week.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2014 1:10 AM
Review by vaibhavr: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on it since 2009 due to severe back pain. I was told I have ankylosing spondilitis, a disease which affects joints. But this medicine improved my condition up to the point that I can lead a normal life again.

February 3, 2014 12:55 PM
Review by Jelly B (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Psoriatic Arthritis: I slowly increased the dose weekly. I was ok on 2 a day but once increased to 3 my eyesight got a little worse. I reduced them for while then slowly up to 4 a day. The nausea was terrible I also felt really ill and very tired but didn't know why. Had to take time off work I felt so bad. Lowered dose to 2 again and was better but once I tried to increase it again the nausea and ill feelings came back. Stopped them and eventually felt better. Didn't realise just how bad they had affected me until I was back to normal again!

January 12, 2014 6:38 PM
Review by eric017: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Crohn's Disease: I tried Lialda, Pentasa, and a few other medicines for my moderate Crohn's Disease and they all made it worse. I tried Sulfasalazine and I am symptom free as long as I don't forget to take any doses. If I miss a dosage I may have some loose stool but after I go back to taking it I once again am symptom free.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 1:40 AM
Review by Lora S. (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Psoriatic Arthritis: I LOVE THIS MEDICINE! I had tried many medicines before this including methotrexate which was HORRIBLE-they all made me so ill. I only had loose stools at the start of treatment as a side effect, no others. I take it alone, without NSAIDs and it manages all my pain and swelling like a champ. I have had no flares and I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. My hair also stopped falling out after the 1st 2 months of taking it. It literally changed my life without shutting down my immune system. I could not be happier.

May 15, 2013 4:44 AM
Review by RTRAVER (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: My constant infections from Mycoplasma infections are a thing of the past. This medicine has kept intestinal leakage and polyps from recurring, keeps the blood in my urine to a minimum and constant kidney infections from recurring.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 21, 2013 12:12 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Upon taking sulfasalazine I experienced a severe headache, dizziness, bruising on my feet and legs, chills, blood shot eyes, pain in my joints, hives and swelling in my face and neck. The headache became so bad I could not get out of bed.

August 25, 2012 4:18 AM
Review by tocha23 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Psoriatic Arthritis: I too am using sulfasalazine for psoriatic arthritis and it has helped somewhat and I too have ringing in my ears. Suffice to say it has helped so I do recommend it.

August 7, 2012 4:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I've taken sulfasalazine for four months (1000 MG twice per day). It took at least six weeks to become effective, but combined with Etodolac, an anti-inflammatory, I have had good success with controlling a mono-arthritic knee that had been diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis after almost 20 years of problems, various surgeries, etc. I worry about side-effects, but the pain and extreme swelling is controlled after many years.

May 16, 2012 9:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: This was the first medicine tried on me - I have (had) rheumatoid arthritis together with Crohns. Sulfazine did not help.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2012 10:05 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Psoriatic Arthritis: I never got to the full dosage of 2 pills twice a day. I was slowly increasing the dosage from one pill once to one pill once... that's as far as I got. The side effects were horrible. My mother, a breast cancer survivor, likened my side effects to chemo. My mind couldn't focus. I couldn't sleep, yet I was always drowsy. I always noticed that the side effects would ease about 6 hours after taking, then would show 30 min after taking. I finally gave up, and changed meds.

February 29, 2012 3:36 AM
Review by Susanne35Cat: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been using Sulfasalazine for the last 4 years as an "add-on" to methotrexate. I take the maximum dose, but must confess that I can only see a minimal reduction of pain using this medicine.

July 6, 2011 9:28 PM
Review by thetwoofus: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 18 months ago, been on sulfasalazine all time. First 2 months felt sick and headachey, but okay since. Found ringing in ears relieved by having high pillows, i.e. two good ones and a very soft lesser one. Visit Rheumatologist every 6 months, with blood tests every 3 months. Carpel tunnel was very bad prior to taking sulfasalazine. Much better now; keeping well.

June 25, 2011 8:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sulfasalazine for Ulcerative Colitis: This has worked really well to maintain my symptoms and no real side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2011 8:35 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Had terrible allergic reaction to this medicine, within a week of taking it. Felt terrible itching inside out.

January 27, 2011 4:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Been on sulfasalazine for 3 years, for me the first 2 weeks were hard on the stomach. Felt like I was going to vomit all the time but never did, it was slow to have the effect maybe a month, but after that it has been good. Still get flare up the odd time. It is inexpensive compared to the other medications.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 24, 2010 3:27 PM
Review by karenbuff: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have had a small improvement with sulfazine, but unfortunately I started having severe ringing in the ears after 6 months, also it gave me pain in my achilles tendon and calves at night. Keep in mind that I had the pain side effect also with cholestrol medications, but not the ringing in the ears.

April 11, 2010 11:17 PM
Review by rowney: User Rating:

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: I have been using salazopyrin for many years and have found it excellent. I am in remission at the moment and am taking 2 tablets a day as a 'holding' dose. I move it up to 5 or 6 when I have an episode which can last for up to a year.

September 18, 2009 10:16 PM

Got questions about Rheumatoid Arthritis? Get answers from our expert Dr. Carteron. Click Here