User Reviews for Stelara

Learn more about Stelara.

Psoriatic Arthritis 1 reviews 73 medications

Psoriasis 43 reviews 309 medications

8.5
Summary of Stelara reviews 44 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Stelara

Review by Bobh222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psoriasis: I am 61 and first contracted psoriasis when I was 46 years old. It started on my elbows and gradually spread to my arms, torso, buttocks and legs. The last few years have been extremely difficult with a lot of redness and flaking. I could not wear short pants or short sleeves as I was very embarrassed. Over the years I tried hundreds of over the counter creams, supplements, light treatments, saunas, baths, diets, and prescription steroid creams and ointments. Nothing worked...until Stelara. Three weeks after my first shot of Stelara I was 95% clear. Two weeks after the second shot a month later I was completely clear of psoriasis.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by CanadaBoi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Psoriasis: On Stelara for about 9 months now. It does work well on reducing my very thick, very stubborn head to toe psoriasis that I've suffered from for nearly 20 years. The reason I am only giving it a 6 rating is that the manufacturer has totally over rated their product in terms of the length of time it lasts. For me, this medicine lasts about 4 weeks at best and I need another shot or the psoriasis flares up with the vengeance of a woman scorned. If I was to wait the suggested 12 weeks the psoriasis becomes worse than before I started. As a result of this, the price of the medicine should be drastically reduced to better reflect it's true half-life.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 4:15 AM

Review by reevsie:

For Psoriasis: Psoriasis cleared completely after first injection, now 6 weeks after my second one its starting to come back on my head, I'm also experiencing difficulties deep breathing while exercising and when I exert myself, also elbow and knee pain, being an active exercise person this is dramatically affecting me now,

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Goblin8er:

For Psoriasis: Stelara has been great. I have experienced no side effects and I just got my second shot and my Psoriasis is 90% faded after 4 weeks since my first shot. Basically if your insurance will cover it's realistically a miracle. Good luck reader. I hope you have a similar experience of success.

May 17, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by scabbyone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Psoriasis: Stelara has been amazing. After 3 years still 100%. Changed my life dramatically. No side effects whatsoever, blood work perfect, no colds, flus, etc. Healthy and happy !

March 19, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by Clintbob:

For Psoriasis: I had almost disabling psoriasis for 10 years. My feet was my biggest problem area, many flare ups made it hard to even walk. I too have been on everything in the past, starting with ointments all the way to Remicade, Humira, and Enbrel with little success, mostly only helped for less than 6 months. Prednisone has almost ruined my joints, and as most of you know causes weight gain. In September 2012 I got my first injection. By December I was completely clear doing insanity workouts! Over 2 years I enjoyed a psoriasis free life and it's been great! Unfortunately, I started flaring 2 months ago, and my dermatologist put me back on prednisone as my whole body is covered again. Not sure where to go from here.

March 14, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by Cootie 1234:

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I am 65. I have had psoriasis and arthritis since I was 13. I was covered. Like others I had used tar, creams, PUVA , UVB in my home and ENBREL which caused many side effects. Dreaded white flakes everywhere! Itching was just awful. 2 1/2 years ago I tried Stelara, what a wonder I cleared in 2 injections. What a joy to have clear skin and go in public and not be embarrassed. Had to stop because Medicare did not cover it. I became totally covered again worse then ever. Finally found some finical help. I have had 2 injections, all plaque is gone looks so good. I have a great deal of redness but expect it to clear. I have had a madding itch the past few days, hope it is not a side effect.

January 27, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by sundaygirl62:

For Psoriasis: I had never had psoriasis until age 50 it came on all of a sudden pretty much all over my body and nothing worked to get rid of it. I started the Stelara injections 10-7-13 and was amazed at how it cleared. I also was using the vitamin d cream at night. Just had my second injection 11-7-13 yet this time it did not work near as well. The psoriasis is back and getting as bad as it was prior to the first shot. It's a bummer because the next injection won't be for 3 months. Just so happens had my yearly blood work 10-14 and my cholesterol was 280/170 it has never been that high. I am also a breast cancer survivor and remembered the first time to have them inject my right arm as I had lymph nodes removed from the left side wonder if thatmatter

November 11, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by Clearing results but side effects:

For Psoriasis: I have had psoriasis since I was 4. Been on everything from biologics to light therapy. Stelara cleared me up but not without a price. I m a very healthy,exercise minded individual. Since being on, my blood sugar is off, I have night sweats, swollen breasts, feet, hands, swollen tonsils, and tiredness. My vitamin d levels are also low. Went of stelara for 6 months and every side effect went away. Flared up and went on it again and all symptoms came back!

November 3, 2013 8:22 PM

Review by Northdallas4 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psoriasis: After 6 years on Enbrel, it finally stopped working and I started on Stelara this past July 2013. Excellent results clearing tough, thick-skinned body areas like elbows and knees within 1 to 1.5 months and I'm very pleased. Somewhat perplexing while on Stelara are short cycles of psoriasis turning up and then disappearing from thin-skinned areas like scalp while the bigger problem body areas remain clear. I never had scalp psoriasis while on Enbrel, but I'd still choose Stelara overall for faster, better overall clearing.

October 6, 2013 1:39 PM

Review by Methos80 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Psoriasis: Back when Stelara was first approved for psoriasis, my dermatologist went ahead and put me on it. I cleared in one shot, took the next 2, and we laid off. Minor side effects - some swollen tonsils and sinus issues. Fast forward a year and half - went back on it - after my second shot, I spent the next 6 months going through a continual round of sinus infections that required injected antibiotics, and got confirmed influenza A despite being vaccinated. Tests showed likely my immune system couldn't handle.

October 5, 2013 1:19 AM

Review by G.Valez (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Psoriasis: 54 years old ..chronic psoriasis for over 49 years. I've had all the treatments known and then some. This medicine is a God send. It's the only treatment that's ever truly worked and I can say I'm 100%.

September 10, 2013 5:54 PM

Review by aseretsirhc:

For Psoriasis: Wow, what can I say, this medicine has changed my life. My head was the worst, completely covered. Had to put oil on it and leave it on most of day or over night. My head would be stiff after 3 days with the build up. After one treatment it was completely gone. So happy now. Was thinking about going on disability but now don't have too.

September 7, 2013 12:59 AM

Review by CD 2013:

For Psoriasis: I am 50 years old and have suffered with severe psoriasis for 45 years. I've tried every treatment known to man and the best is Stelara. I was clear by the second injection and no side effects. I did take a study injection years ago and it worked but made every joint and muscle in my body swell and pain. Needless to say I stopped taking the medicine. I have been taking injections now for 10 years and my blood work is always perfect so there doesn't seem to be any long term effects.

September 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Review by AMAZING results! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Psoriasis: I have suffered from severe plaque psoriasis for ten years. I have taken every biologic medicine that is available and Stelara has been by far the BEST. It has totally changed my life the past two years and the GOOD news is my dermatologist said it is not one of the medicines that eventually stops working like the others. If it clears you and you are healthy with no major side effects its possible to live a psoriasis free life for years! The side effects of many biologics were harsh especially Remicade but the last two years on Stelara I have only noticed a bit of fatigue and only one upper respiratory infection.

September 2, 2013 5:07 PM

Review by RDHChicago (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psoriasis: My Psoriasis started in my sophomore year in college (1985). Every year, my condition has gotten progressively worse. I've tried everything from PUVA, steroids, coal tar, Methotrexate, Enbrel, Humira & more. I've had success with the biologics, but got very ill with sinus infections on both Enbrel and Humira (so bad that I got vertigo and had to go to hospital via ambulance). I took 2 years off and now just started Stelara (had my "booster" second shot yesterday). My dermatologist is shocked how I've cleared already! This is a miracle and any person out there who can take it, should. I'm also sleeping so much better during the night-- not scratching in my sleep! Good luck and hopefully one day, we'll have a cure for this dreadful disease.

July 19, 2013 5:41 PM

Review by elevatorman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psoriasis: I have had two injections of Stelara so far and I am clear of all psoriasis. I did not have psoriasis too bad, just on my hips, elbows and the side of my nose. I have kept my head shaved which helps keep it off my head. I have been dealing with psoriasis for over 20 years, but have just recently developed psoriatic arthritis (about 3 years now) I was on Enbrel and it worked well for the psoriasis but did nothing for the arthritis, and it looks like Stelara is going to be the same way even though the doctor said it should work better than Enbrel for arthritis. The only other change in my lifestyle that I have noticed is the fact that I can hardly sleep. 3 hours a night on a good night. Not sure if this is because of the Stelara or not.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2013 8:19 AM

Review by tillyfde:

For Psoriasis: Received my second shot and am completely clear from chronic psoriasis. No side effects, can't believe the results happened so quickly. I am so happy, I am rid of this terrible disease.

June 27, 2013 8:54 AM

Review by JR in NOVA:

For Psoriasis: After my first initial starter dose my my affected areas (back, rear end, hips, front legs, hair line, and behind the ears) were almost totally clear. After my next shot to present my skin is totally clear. I only have one issue (possible side effect), raising LDL (bad) cholesterol. My Dr. did not think it was the cause. Had a regular liver enzyme test ordered by Dr. I used another facility for the labs as I have no insurance. This test came with a full liver profile and my total cholesterol was 350. It's never been over 220 and that's when I drank, smoked, overweight, and ate terrible. All of those are now null. We tested it again a week later and it was 344. I waited 2.5 months and retested and it was 285. Nothing has changed, except time.

June 24, 2013 3:32 AM

Review by bowleggs:

For Psoriasis: 6 days in to my first shot, seeing no flaking and spots are flat.

June 23, 2013 10:18 AM

Review by Mandi_S:

For Psoriasis: I started on Stelara in December 2012 after trying everything from creams to Methotrexate to Enbrel. While Enbrel mostly worked after about 4 months everywhere on my body except my elbows it started losing it's effectiveness after about 6 months, with Psoriasis cropping up on my scalp and other places. My doctor put me on 25mg Stelara and I noticed results almost immediately. My elbows are still my problem area, while the area fades nicely it flares up again after about a month, so waiting 2 months for another injection is awful. My nurse is going to ask if we can increase my dosage to hopefully keep the results for a full 3 months. I have a great benefit plan that covers me 100%.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2013 2:34 PM

Review by Richw:

For Psoriasis: 45 years with psoriasis. Tried everything - no luck. On Stelara for three years now. WONDERFUL experience. Only side effect is I am always tired, but I can live with that as I no longer have ANY symptoms. Wonderful medicine but VERY expensive. This would be the LAST medicine I would give up if I had to give up my meds.

May 31, 2013 1:41 PM

Review by pinoy510:

For Psoriasis: I too been suffering from psoriasis all my life. I'm 34 and was on Stellara for a while last year. Then a month ago. Became hard headed and drank alcohol. What happen next my psoriasis flared up. Where its the worst ever. Joints were bothering me like crazy. Flaking everywhere. Now back on Stellara. Can't wait to be better again.

February 28, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by Bambi999 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Psoriasis: I have suffered from psoriasis for 20yrs and the condition fluctuated over this time. I have tried creams, methotrexate, light therapy and cyclosporine - none of which helped. Eventually I saw a fantastic dermatologist - I had to try 3 treatments and if they failed, I could apply for permission to try biologics. I tried Enbrel first -worked until I fell ill with tonsilitis & my psoriasis came back with a vengence. I switched to Stelara, I am about to take my 5th injection, and it has been amazing. Within weeks, I was almost clear. This was the 1st summer I've been happy to show my body at the beach! Minimal side effects too.

January 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Review by donaghy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Psoriasis: Stelara very effective, have been on it for 3 years and can lengthen time between injections i.e. 16 weeks without too much flare up. Have experienced chronic rhinitis and symptoms of depression as side effects.

January 15, 2013 7:33 PM