User Reviews for Stelara

Learn more about Stelara.

Stelara Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 229 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Stelara to treat Psoriasis

"64 year old Male Chronic Plaque Psoriasis since age 12. Hospitalised many times. Previously tried everything including PUVA, UVB & Tar, Dithranol, Topica Steroids, Topical Calcipitrol , Acetretin, Cyclosporin, Methotrexate, Fumaric Acid Esters, Infliximab (Remicade) and finally now Stelara. All treatments with the exception of Acetretin and Cyclosporin have been effective to some degree up to full clearance but the relapse time was always short. Was on Remicade for 3.5 years which was very effective but lost its effect over the last 6 months. Have just had my 3rd set of injections (2 at a time) and am as clear as I have ever been in 52 years. Truly life changing. Paid for by NHS!"

Harry64 July 22, 2015

"I'm 38 ive been on stelara for 6 years and I was 80 % covered. within 6 months I was 95% clear. the only draw back is it doesn't work on my scalp and my fatigue over the years has gotten worse. some days I don't even want to move."

patches77 July 1, 2015

"Using Stelara has been nothing short or amazing for me. I didn't have 95% body-coverage like some of the people here but my hands were completely covered and it seemed to be spreading onto my wrists and up my forearms. The pain was excruciating and I was emotionally exhausted from constantly trying to hide what was happening to me. I'm a musician/educator and spend a great deal of time in front of people. I do feel that Stelara saved my life. I am 100% clear of all signs of psoriasis. No itch, no bleeding, no pain, just normal looking skin. I am also completely alleviated from the mental strain, anxiety, self-consciousness, etc. What an amazing change in my life."

Pain-Free June 30, 2015

"I've had psoriasis, and some psoriatic arthritis since I was 12, I'm 40 now. I had 95% body coverage, and started taking Stelara as one of the first trial patients in Canada in early 2009...what a difference. No more throbbing knees, and I hover between 5 - 10% coverage now, it was at 0% for a couple of years but I had an injury and gained a bunch of weight, so that is why it's up now (maybe 3 kids doesn't help either ;-). The only issues I have are the price (thankfully it's covered), and the fact that I am more susceptible to colds and flu, and will get sunburn easily if I don't watch out."

TDarMan June 25, 2015

"I'm 53. I've had psoriasis for as long as i can remember. It has been moderate most of that time. About a year ago it started getting bad. My dermatologist tried the new oral medication. After three months it was still getting worse. I got to 95 %. I coulnt sleep from the intense burning and itching. They decided to put me on Stelara. Within a week i noticed a huge difference. I just got my 1 month shot. My upper body is completely clear. I only have a few spots left on my lower legs and feet. I was actually on Enbrel 8 years ago. It did work but this Stelara is incredible. I cant remember when my skin was this clear. My girlfreind just hought me a bunch of short sleve shirts. I is totally amazing."

Bgunit68 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2015

"Now 48, I have had psoriasis for 32 years. Never have I experienced a medication that has worked so well. I have been covered head to toe and I am now 95% clear. So nice to not see psoriasis in the mirror. I wish everybody can have results like mine."

Gary A (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2015

"I was 65 when I got psoriasis, tried everything possible until I told my derm. I have to have something. I have received 2 inj. & feel it has pretty much saved my life (not really) but I'm so much more comfortable. However I retired in Jan. & my ins. changed to Humana which will not cover Stelara, so at this time I am stressing (worst thing you can do) about how I can continue this inj. without having to pay the enormous price, so I am researching everything possible...long story short I have definitely benefited from the Stelara..."

Victrolax (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

"I started Stelara Sept 2014. By January 2015, psoriasis are worse than they have ever been. I even have patches on my face! I've suffered with psoriasis for 30 years."

StacyW. February 3, 2015

"After 30 plus years of SUFFERING with Psoriasis and after being on Stelara for 5 years now I don't have a skerik any where on my body. I had a PASI rating of 91, now its 0. Thank you Stelara."

Pacer Dave December 18, 2014

"27 year old female. Suffered with plaque psoriasis since age 12 (15 years) just woke up covered from head to toe one morning. Tried every treatment avail in Canada- nothing worked. Parents went on a year hunt for a cure the first year I had psoriasis, but turned up with nothing that remotely worked. Two years ago I was prescribed Stelara , best decision I ever made. Price is insanely high but with the right teams amazing coverage became available. So far no noticeable side effects other than my common cold lasting longer than usual. Blood work and tests always come out fine. Only problem I have had while on this medication is I was diagnosed with strep throat and because of that my psoriasis came back very drastically and over night."

jaimeā™” December 1, 2014

"I had no side effects with this medication and my skin has remained 99% clear since I began using it."

Demmy245 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 18, 2014

"Have been on Stelara for about a year and a half. When started, I had 50-60% coverage. It was down to about 10-15% by the time I had my second injection, and down to about 5% by the time I had my third. It has remained about that level since, but now only consists of flat pinkish spots that barely itch at all and look more like old scars than the scabby, cracked, bleeding mess they were before. As for the side effects; I seem to be more prone to various infections than before. I seem to catch colds more easily. Also, I usually feel some muscle pain and fatigue starting the day after my injection and lasting for a couple of days (easily dealt with by scheduling my appointments on Friday afternoons and taking it easy over the weekend)."

mds_02 November 5, 2014

"Stelara is an excellent medication. I first contracted psoriasis through strep throat. I was covered in red spots from the neck down. Previously, I used a medication that cleared it up but it was harsh and made my hair fall out! I switched to Stelara and it cleared it up within days, I kid you not. The only side effect has been fatigue and maybe a mild case of depression (which I'm not sure can be attributed to the Stelara). I'm only giving it a 9 because it won't clear up the patches on my face AND it is very expensive (right now the cost is 19,000 but Johnson & Johnson is covering it). Highly recommend though."

MaryJaneStraightDope August 18, 2014

"I am 61 and first contracted psoriasis when I was 46 years old. It started on my elbows and gradually spread to my arms, torso, buttocks and legs. The last few years have been extremely difficult with a lot of redness and flaking. I could not wear short pants or short sleeves as I was very embarrassed. Over the years I tried hundreds of over the counter creams, supplements, light treatments, saunas, baths, diets, and prescription steroid creams and ointments. Nothing worked...until Stelara. Three weeks after my first shot of Stelara I was 95% clear. Two weeks after the second shot a month later I was completely clear of psoriasis."

Bobh222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2014

"On Stelara for about 9 months now. It does work well on reducing my very thick, very stubborn head to toe psoriasis that I've suffered from for nearly 20 years. The reason I am only giving it a 6 rating is that the manufacturer has totally over rated their product in terms of the length of time it lasts. For me, this medicine lasts about 4 weeks at best and I need another shot or the psoriasis flares up with the vengeance of a woman scorned. If I was to wait the suggested 12 weeks the psoriasis becomes worse than before I started. As a result of this, the price of the medicine should be drastically reduced to better reflect it's true half-life."

CanadaBoi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2014

"Psoriasis cleared completely after first injection, now 6 weeks after my second one its starting to come back on my head, I'm also experiencing difficulties deep breathing while exercising and when I exert myself, also elbow and knee pain, being an active exercise person this is dramatically affecting me now,"

reevsie May 24, 2014

"Stelara has been great. I have experienced no side effects and I just got my second shot and my Psoriasis is 90% faded after 4 weeks since my first shot. Basically if your insurance will cover it's realistically a miracle. Good luck reader. I hope you have a similar experience of success."

Goblin8er May 17, 2014

"Stelara has been amazing. After 3 years still 100%. Changed my life dramatically. No side effects whatsoever, blood work perfect, no colds, flus, etc. Healthy and happy !"

scabbyone (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2014

"I had almost disabling psoriasis for 10 years. My feet was my biggest problem area, many flare ups made it hard to even walk. I too have been on everything in the past, starting with ointments all the way to Remicade, Humira, and Enbrel with little success, mostly only helped for less than 6 months. Prednisone has almost ruined my joints, and as most of you know causes weight gain. In September 2012 I got my first injection. By December I was completely clear doing insanity workouts! Over 2 years I enjoyed a psoriasis free life and it's been great! Unfortunately, I started flaring 2 months ago, and my dermatologist put me back on prednisone as my whole body is covered again. Not sure where to go from here."

Clintbob March 14, 2014

"I had never had psoriasis until age 50 it came on all of a sudden pretty much all over my body and nothing worked to get rid of it. I started the Stelara injections 10-7-13 and was amazed at how it cleared. I also was using the vitamin d cream at night. Just had my second injection 11-7-13 yet this time it did not work near as well. The psoriasis is back and getting as bad as it was prior to the first shot. It's a bummer because the next injection won't be for 3 months. Just so happens had my yearly blood work 10-14 and my cholesterol was 280/170 it has never been that high. I am also a breast cancer survivor and remembered the first time to have them inject my right arm as I had lymph nodes removed from the left side wonder if thatmatter"

sundaygirl62 November 11, 2013

"I have had psoriasis since I was 4. Been on everything from biologics to light therapy. Stelara cleared me up but not without a price. I m a very healthy,exercise minded individual. Since being on, my blood sugar is off, I have night sweats, swollen breasts, feet, hands, swollen tonsils, and tiredness. My vitamin d levels are also low. Went of stelara for 6 months and every side effect went away. Flared up and went on it again and all symptoms came back!"

Clearing results but side effects November 3, 2013

"After 6 years on Enbrel, it finally stopped working and I started on Stelara this past July 2013. Excellent results clearing tough, thick-skinned body areas like elbows and knees within 1 to 1.5 months and I'm very pleased. Somewhat perplexing while on Stelara are short cycles of psoriasis turning up and then disappearing from thin-skinned areas like scalp while the bigger problem body areas remain clear. I never had scalp psoriasis while on Enbrel, but I'd still choose Stelara overall for faster, better overall clearing."

Northdallas4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2013

"Back when Stelara was first approved for psoriasis, my dermatologist went ahead and put me on it. I cleared in one shot, took the next 2, and we laid off. Minor side effects - some swollen tonsils and sinus issues. Fast forward a year and half - went back on it - after my second shot, I spent the next 6 months going through a continual round of sinus infections that required injected antibiotics, and got confirmed influenza A despite being vaccinated. Tests showed likely my immune system couldn't handle. "

Methos80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2013

"54 years old ..chronic psoriasis for over 49 years. I've had all the treatments known and then some. This medicine is a God send. It's the only treatment that's ever truly worked and I can say I'm 100%. "

G.Valez (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2013

"Wow, what can I say, this medicine has changed my life. My head was the worst, completely covered. Had to put oil on it and leave it on most of day or over night. My head would be stiff after 3 days with the build up. After one treatment it was completely gone. So happy now. Was thinking about going on disability but now don't have too."

aseretsirhc September 7, 2013