Generic name: ustekinumab
Dosage form: injection, solution
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Stelara safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Stelara.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
STELARA® is administered by subcutaneous injection.
- For patients weighing ≤100 kg (220 lbs), the recommended dose is 45 mg initially and 4 weeks later, followed by 45 mg every 12 weeks.
- For patients weighing >100 kg (220 lbs), the recommended dose is 90 mg initially and 4 weeks later, followed by 90 mg every 12 weeks.
In subjects weighing >100 kg, 45 mg was also shown to be efficacious. However, 90 mg resulted in greater efficacy in these subjects [see Clinical Studies (14)].
The safety and efficacy of STELARA® have not been evaluated beyond two years.
General Considerations for Administration
STELARA® is intended for subcutaneous administration under the supervision of a physician.
Prior to administration, STELARA® should be visually inspected for particulate matter and discoloration. STELARA® is colorless to light yellow and may contain a few small translucent or white particles. STELARA® should not be used if it is discolored or cloudy, or if other particulate matter is present. STELARA® does not contain preservatives; therefore, any unused product remaining in the vial and/or syringe should be discarded.
The needle cover on the prefilled syringe contains dry natural rubber (a derivative of latex). The needle cover should not be handled by persons sensitive to latex.
It is recommended that each injection be administered at a different anatomic location (such as upper arms, gluteal regions, thighs, or any quadrant of abdomen) than the previous injection, and not into areas where the skin is tender, bruised, erythematous, or indurated. When using the single-use vial, a 27 gauge, ½ inch needle is recommended.
STELARA® should only be administered by a healthcare provider. STELARA® should only be administered to patients who will be closely monitored and have regular follow-up visits with a physician.
Instructions for Administration of STELARA® Prefilled Syringes Equipped with Needle Safety Guard
Refer to the diagram below for the provided instructions.
To prevent premature activation of the needle safety guard, do not touch the NEEDLE GUARD ACTIVATION CLIPS at any time during use.
- Hold the BODY and remove the NEEDLE COVER. Do not hold the PLUNGER or PLUNGER HEAD while removing the NEEDLE COVER or the PLUNGER may move. Do not use the prefilled syringe if it is dropped without the NEEDLE COVER in place.
- Inject STELARA® subcutaneously as recommended [see Dosage and Administration (2.2)].
- Inject all of the medication by pushing in the PLUNGER until the PLUNGER HEAD is completely between the needle guard wings. Injection of the entire prefilled syringe contents is necessary to activate the needle guard.
- After injection, maintain the pressure on the PLUNGER HEAD and remove the needle from the skin. Slowly take your thumb off the PLUNGER HEAD to allow the empty syringe to move up until the entire needle is covered by the needle guard, as shown by the illustration below:
- Used syringes should be placed in a puncture-resistant container.