User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 31 reviews 74 medications

7.2
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 193 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Mesalamine

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I had tons of hair loss and the medication never did anything for me. My doctor finally agreed to take me off it after 9 months."

Marcimc1 February 1, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After taking Lialda for 2 years my hair is very thin. It has not controlled me from going to the bathroom alot. I started noticing besides my hair getting thin, having severe headaches. had to have a blood transfusion and my urine started getting darker and darker. The the straw that broke the camel's back was my tongue and lips swelled and I had hives all over they were so severe that I didn't get any sleep they caused me to have blisters. After 3 trips to the ER they finally found something to help the hives. I haven't eaten a full meal in over a year do to the fact that my mouth and lips were so swore and painful to eat. When all the side affects started piling up I just quit taking it and call my gasteronolist and will see him in 2 weeks"

Very unhappy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine worked really well for me this is the first time I used it and it did its job within first use"

Khan safina January 18, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I feel great. Colonoscopy not so great. Been on lialda for 3 yrs. Wonder what eating/drinking habits the person from Iowa has.."

Feel great, coloniscopy not December 15, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects."

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I find this med works better than asacol for me."

UC December 1, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Glad to say , I am no longer taking this product that really never worked anyway. Have no symptoms for 5 years, everyone said I would be taking prescription medication for life. I just change my eating and drinking habits and you to can win the battle. Good Luck."

no more systoms in Iowa (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 19, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Helped with crohns but gave me acne and increased tinnitus"

Juniper6543 November 18, 2015

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "It caused severe cramps, nausea and more bleeding. I went on vegan diet with no processed foods and took aloe vera juice instead my ulcerative colitis cleared up within a few months."

Hawa1111 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been on pentasa for 3 years. I've had very bad acne and losing a lot of hair."

Raniya November 13, 2015

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I think it's making my symptoms worse. I went from going to the bathroom most frequently at night to all day after starting Salofalk enemas and suppositories."

Te (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication."

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Works great for me. No flares in years."

STeve 2015 October 20, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Newly diagnosed, but this has really helped me feel normal again. So far so good. I do struggle with the amount of pills needed though - right now I'm taking 4 in the morning and 4 at night."

susan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Have been taking the delzicol for 7 weeks and still not working as does ASACOL. 700 dollars later, who do I complain to...I need Asacol after all. Has only calmed things, still unable to eat most things and see no future for me and delzicol."

Pashik September 27, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I am a practicing dentist and health book author. I sufferd a flare-up of ulcerartive colitis and was treated with IV corticosteroids. When I weaned off the prednisone pills, within a week I was having the emergency diarrhea again. I was on melasamine but it only stopped the bleeding. The emergency diarrhea continued and the stomach cramps were unbearable. I stopped the mesalamine and went on prednisone. Predisone works 100%. I would rather suffer an unwanted side effect from prednisone but be able to go to functions and work, etc and have diarrhea running down my pants. I continually attempt to wean myself off the prednisone."

Jorge4 September 7, 2015

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Gives me moderate headaches, acne, fatigue and susceptibility to infections when I use it but it does help to manage ulcerative colitis. I have to balance between the side effects of the medicine and the intestinal damage. My goal is to use it once a week."

Anonymous in US (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2015

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Helps me somewhat. I was diagnosed recently I'm only 19. I don't bleed anymore thank god I would have bloody stool 6-10 times a day the only thing I do get is really gassy and it hurts is that normal. Also I am on remicade"

Paoestrada (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago, and I am 15 years old. I take 400mg of Pentasa 3x daily along with other pills to stop inflammation. So far it's been working great. I still get abdominal pain occasionally which is a lot better than it used to be."

Hal. (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me."

Psych11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I take Lialda 3.6g each morning which cleared up my diarrhea and bloody stool but I have had neurological side effects of headaches, fatigue, and slow-thinking, and abdominal pain, gas, and bloating as well. I'm too scared to switch to other meds despite an asacol prescription given the risk of flare ups when meds change, but I don't want the mental haziness for the rest of my life."

BostonBowelBoy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Over the last 6 months since I was diagnosed with UC, I've tried as much as 4.8g/day of asacol: alone, with prednisone, with imuran, IV steroids and enema cortisol. So far, I've only had luck with the prednisone. This stuff does not work at all for me"

Roy360 July 26, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "With in the first 20 minutes of taking this medication, I started dizzy, disoriented, my mouth had gotten numb . With in 45 minutes I went into full anaphylactic shock and was taken to the er. So unfortunately this isn't for me. I just had my 3rd colonoscopy and actually now have severe Crohn's. Getting ready to start remicaide. I'm nervous but hopefully this will rid the pain and suffering I've been going through."

Anonymous July 16, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 27yrs old. I'm now 54. Ive been through 2 fistula removal's and many nights awaken with extreme rectal spasams. no fun! Extreme weight loss and fatigue. My Dr. put me on Asacol 400mg (2 in the morning, and 2 at night). turned my life around. Dr. told me I needed to stay on the medicine for rest of my life. I felt great, put weight back on and then I did a stupid thing. I decided to stop taking it. was doing fine for past 5yrs but its back. weight loss and all other symptoms, cramping, loss of appetite, etc.. If Asacol is working for you, stay on it."

Rick B July 6, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015