User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 26 reviews 74 medications

7.3
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 177 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Mesalamine

Canasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Gives me moderate headaches, acne, fatigue and susceptibility to infections when I use it but it does help to manage ulcerative colitis. I have to balance between the side effects of the medicine and the intestinal damage. My goal is to use it once a week."

Anonymous in US (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2015

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Helps me somewhat. I was diagnosed recently I'm only 19. I don't bleed anymore thank god I would have bloody stool 6-10 times a day the only thing I do get is really gassy and it hurts is that normal. Also I am on remicade"

Paoestrada (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago, and I am 15 years old. I take 400mg of Pentasa 3x daily along with other pills to stop inflammation. So far it's been working great. I still get abdominal pain occasionally which is a lot better than it used to be."

Hal. (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me."

Psych11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I take Lialda 3.6g each morning which cleared up my diarrhea and bloody stool but I have had neurological side effects of headaches, fatigue, and slow-thinking, and abdominal pain, gas, and bloating as well. I'm too scared to switch to other meds despite an asacol prescription given the risk of flare ups when meds change, but I don't want the mental haziness for the rest of my life."

BostonBowelBoy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Over the last 6 months since I was diagnosed with UC, I've tried as much as 4.8g/day of asacol: alone, with prednisone, with imuran, IV steroids and enema cortisol. So far, I've only had luck with the prednisone. This stuff does not work at all for me"

Roy360 July 26, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "With in the first 20 minutes of taking this medication, I started dizzy, disoriented, my mouth had gotten numb . With in 45 minutes I went into full anaphylactic shock and was taken to the er. So unfortunately this isn't for me. I just had my 3rd colonoscopy and actually now have severe Crohn's. Getting ready to start remicaide. I'm nervous but hopefully this will rid the pain and suffering I've been going through."

Anonymous July 16, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 27yrs old. I'm now 54. Ive been through 2 fistula removal's and many nights awaken with extreme rectal spasams. no fun! Extreme weight loss and fatigue. My Dr. put me on Asacol 400mg (2 in the morning, and 2 at night). turned my life around. Dr. told me I needed to stay on the medicine for rest of my life. I felt great, put weight back on and then I did a stupid thing. I decided to stop taking it. was doing fine for past 5yrs but its back. weight loss and all other symptoms, cramping, loss of appetite, etc.. If Asacol is working for you, stay on it."

Rick B July 6, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I loved this medication when I was first diagnosed because I was feeling better immediately and everything cleared up 2 weeks in. I have been on this medication for almost 2 years now and I have gained 30lbs and when I am on highest dose of medication I get painful acne! I never had acne as a teen. I also feel bloated all the time and think Lialda makes me retain water. I forgot to take my pills once and the UC flare came roaring back within a day or two. My hair is also thinner :/ Did not fall out just thinned. Dont enjoy the symptoms, but I do appreciate that it does work!"

Bloated24/7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with left-sided UC in May of 2015. My GI prescribed 4.8 grams (4 pills in the am) of Lialda, plus 1 Canasa suppository (1 gram) at night. The suppository was for 3 weeks only. Within 2 weeks, the bleeding stopped, and I no longer saw the remnants of the colon tissue erosions when I had a bowl movement. I stopped taking the Canasa after a week and a half, because I think it was leading me towards diarrhea, and I felt slight rectal pain. There was no noticeable negative effect to me stopping the Canasa dose at that point. I continued to take the regular dosage of Lialda. I had some dizziness the first week or two, but that had since abated. I also noticed acne that I haven't had in many years. No issues with hair thinning."

Anonymous in PA June 25, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "My GP had me on another drug for 4 years and was feeling great. An annual colonoscopy showed nothing so the "Great Gastro" took me off everything and about a month later everything blew up. Went back to a Nurse Practitioner who apologized and put me on Lialda and Canasa.1 week later, great again. Ins Co after 6 months decided not to pay for Lialda so I was put on another couple worked for a couple months then blow up again.NP called Ins Co and got them to approve Lialda, Canasa again and 2 months in all ok except after eating still bloating and gas. We explored my eating habits ans she (NP) took me off gluten and gas and bloating stopped.Joints stopped aching. Try it! Can even touch my toes!!! Best NP around at OSU Gasto Clinic in Co"

tpkearns June 9, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "****Helpful information**** Search the web for Lialda coupons to get Lialda for $10 a month! I am a 24 year old that has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis since age 11. I started on Colazal when I was first diagnosed; but it only continued to keep me in remission for a few years. I was prescribed many of other medications that didn't seem to work for me either. Finally, once I was prescribed Lialda, my health and quality of life improved greatly! Lialda is such a life saver for me! (Although I still have occasional flare-ups, things calm down when suppositories are used in conjunction with Lialda )"

Love pekala 88 April 16, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have fairly severe Ulcerative Colitis & after 4 months of feeling horrible, tired, bloody diarrhea with the constant urge to go & fear of eating & setting it off again I was finally diagnosed & put on Lialda - 4 pills once a day. At first it caused horrible gas & bloating & took about a week or so to help the symptoms at all but after a few weeks the symptoms were completely gone & the side effects went away as my body got used to the medication. Then about 1 month into taking it I developed horrible cystic acne all over my face, neck, chest, even in my nostrils & ears! My Dr cut the dose in half to 2 pills once a day & within a few days my skin started to clear & heal. I have been on the lower dose for about a month with NO PROBLEMS!!"

KeenKitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with ulceratis colitis at 38, started on Asacol pills for about 4 years with several side effects including distinctive darkening of the blood. I was told by a family friend that the condition could potentially be harmful to internal organs. I asked GI to switch me to Canasa suppositories (Mesalamine) I noticed a significant difference with more energy and less UC problems. I have been on the Canasa for about 10 years now and I have been able to reduce from once a day (1000 mg suppository) to as needed only (2-3 x wk.). I don't like taking meds at all so I have been changing my diet to natural organic whole foods, veggies, nuts and grains, juicing, etc. "

Xooe March 19, 2015

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Lived in Australia for 2 years and switched to Salofalk from Asacol. It worked great and I had no side effects."

Jacques V March 16, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was diagnosed with UC at 18 years old. After a week in the hospital they came up with the final diagnosis and after a few tried meds they landed me on Lialda and it worked great for me for 7-8 years, only experiencing flare ups if I were to drink too much alcohol and lose sleep which was rare but in that case I would need to use prednisone to get back into remission. Healthy diet, sleep, exercise, and Lialda kept me normal! I am 26 now and I feel my body has built up a tolerance, for the past year I have been on a low, going to the restroom more than 5 times a day. Up until now Lialda was perfect. With the Shire card and health insurance it was only $10 a month."

Corums March 9, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "My stomach was severely swollen. Felt like I was 9 months pregnant! The swelling started to decrease after the second day on the medication, such a relief!!"

Mrs. MC (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

Rowasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This is my third flare after being diagnosed with UC almost 5 years ago, so I consider myself lucky. I take oral mesalamine, which is becoming less effective against flare ups. My GI prescribed Rowasa, much to my dismay. It took 4 nights before I got the hang of administering the medication. Retaining it night 1 was almost unbearable. Night 2 was easier, but no less unpleasant. It helps to lay on your left side for 20+ minutes. I haven't had an issue with leakage or side effects, other than the urge to have a bowel movement and really loud gurgling in my lower colon. Faint nausea that passed in less than a minute. But the benefits far outweigh everything - my flare up has diminished so much in the last 5 days!"

Young UC Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Pentasa has changed my life totally. Was going to toilet up to 10 times a day until I was prescribed this. Now I've got my freedom back. Brilliant! No side effects worth worrying about. Take 2 x 500mg slow release tablets twice a day."

Busylizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Have had colitis for 20 years and been on mesalamine for all of it. Asacol was inconvenient because 6 pills throughout the day was hard to do. Lialda is very expensive even with insurance and their card, but it works and it's only two pills a day. The dietary changes and medication are worth it if I can eliminate surgery."

imf December 3, 2014

For Ulcerative Proctitis: "I've had some minor GI issues all my life, I just figured that's to bad and dealt with it. Over the past 10 years it's been a little worse, but I rarely have problems always thinking out food poisoning. Over the past 5 or so years I developed somewhat reoccurring symptoms, but in general very good health. Diarrhea and bloody stool that would subside in under a week or two and happen a few times per year. A few months ago I ran into a problem I couldn't shake mucusy bloody stool all the time and loose stools always. It lasted more than 2 weeks so I had to get it checked finally. A few dr visits and a colonoscopy diagnosed me with ulcerative proctitis. I'm using the enemas nightly. In under a week of use I have no blood, no odd discharge, feel normal."

mid30smale (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2014

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Didn't work for me. In fact, made things worse. Caused bleeding at a time when that was no longer an issue for me."

Ronny Spinto October 30, 2014