Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 1 reviews 73 medications

7.2
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 153 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mesalamine

Review by Ronny Spinto:

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Didn't work for me. In fact, made things worse. Caused bleeding at a time when that was no longer an issue for me.

October 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: I took Apriso for a year and it was successful in treating my ulcerative colitis. I was then switched to Asacol HD. My prescription plan eventually decided Asacol HD was too expensive and I was put back on Apriso. This second course on Apriso was not successful. It did nothing to alleviate my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms, and produced a number of unpleasant side affects - the worst of which was moderate-to-severe stomach cramps around the clock - even waking me from sound sleep. Coupled with an incredibly dry mouth that invited multiple canker sores to erupt in my mouth, these symptoms made eating anything very unpleasant; I lost 15 lbs in the three weeks I was on the Apriso. As soon as I stopped taking it, the cramping and canker sores disappeared.

October 24, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by mymyasky1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Starting taking Lialda about a month and a half ago and it took a couple of weeks to start working. As soon as it started working I felt great no more stomach pain, no more blood, no more diarrhea oh finally something that help take the pain away I was shocked at how good it worked. But then I should have known it was to good to be true about four weeks into it. My beautiful hair started falling out in clumps every time I washed it or even brushed it. I mean it was a lot every time I would cry. Also the muscle aches were the worst. I would sit for maybe 10 minutes and go to get up and almost fall over because my legs almost gave out. Other then that it works great for the pain but I can't take the side effects so I'm going to be switching medicines.

September 12, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by Chad11990:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: My doctor switched me from Acacol HD to Lialda after I lost my insurance and needed a less expensive substitute. I was worried because I had grown accustomed to Asacol and did very well on that medicine. After a few days of adjusting to Lialda, with no real problems or side effects (just a little gas during the first 48 hours), I feel fantastic on Lialda. I've been on Lialda for about 5 months now, and feel as good, if not better than I did on Asacol. I have fewer headaches that I did on Asacol and feel great less stomach cramps. Best of all, for me or anyone who is on the go during the day, I now take one Lialda tablet, twice daily (once in the morning, once at night). This is compared to two Asacol tablets THREE times daily.

September 9, 2014 10:47 AM

Review by UP2020 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: I have diagnose with Ulcerative Colitis (Proctitis) for last 4 years. Lialda has worked for me best with no side effect. I am taking 2 tab twice daily. For people with Ulcerative colitis in distal part of colon Lialda will work best. I had tried 2 years ago to switch to Apriso only because of the cost of Lialda and had a worst flare up and took 6 month to get normal with oral steroid and steroid enemas. I am using Lialda Pharmacy Saving card which reduce my copay to $10/month.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by silver59 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Severe vertigo, sweating, vomiting.

August 5, 2014 12:36 AM

Review by American 1:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: First placed on this medication in 2012 with no improvement in condition.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 3:51 PM

Review by Jim28021 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: I have taken Lialda for a month and my symptoms have stopped. I have side effects of leg cramps. My Dr did not know about this site effect. Makes me wonder about him.

July 1, 2014 6:42 AM

Review by Tummyache416 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I was told to switch to Lialda after being on Asacol HD for 3 years 2 pills 3x a day 800mg each, due to my insurance not covering it anymore. My doctor told me the only difference was the coating, so I felt confident making the switch. By the end of week one of Lialda 1200mg 2 pills 2x a day, I was starting to get pain and go more frequently until it turned into diarrhea. I had no flare ups for a year and had been feeling great on the Asacol, so I immediately switched back to it after a month on Lialda. It was too late the wheels had already started turning on the road to a flare up. I am now on day 8 of being back on Asacol, waiting for my prednisone to get me better. I am so disappointed this happened.

June 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by a.jackie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: The only reason I gave Pentasa a "9" rating instead of a "10" is due to my having to remember to take 8 capsules a day. This medication has allowed me to live a normal life again...no more excruciating gut pain & no more daily diarrhea. I can actually eat at restaurants now, without worrying when the pain & diarrhea will hit me. I have had no side effects from Pentasa. It has given my life back to me.

June 20, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Babs174:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I am on day 3 of Lialda. The first day I took all 4 pills with breakfast. Did the same on day 2. Day 2 I had severe diarrhea and chills and headache. I felt like I had the flu. That night I did the Canasa suppository. Woke up several times in the night but did not go to the bathroom. Day 3 woke up with severe headache and mild diarrhea. I decided that I would take 2 Lialda's with breakfast. I started feeling a little better. It is now night 3 and I just took 2 Lialda's with dinner. Headache is not as severe. I am hoping that by day 7 I feel normal again. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2003. I have not had a flare since 2006 until recently.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 8:23 PM

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Lialda is not for everyone. Talk to your doctor about other options because they're out there! I was prescribed to take Lialda 3xs daily. A couple hours after my third dose I developed the following reaction: fever, nausea, vomiting, chills, rash/hives on my throat and neck. My doctor wanted me to continue talking Lialda but lessen the dose. I did as told, and was bedridden from the side effects. I then found GI Dr and was prescribed Asacol and medicated enemas. No reactions yet! I wonder why Lialda made me sick but I am fine with Asacol?

June 1, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Beauteeful (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Worked really well at the beginning.

May 28, 2014 5:07 AM

Review by Beaner64:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 8 years and due to financial situation stopped taking any meds for the past 5 years, but recently went back to my GI and after being reprimanded for my actions was put back on Lialda. It has been about 2 and half months and most of my symptoms have improved though still having soreness/dull ache in my abdomen and urgency for the bathroom more than my GI thinks I should. Colonscopy is scheduled in a few weeks to see what the condition of the colon is in and may have to add another medication. I would advise even if you are feeling fine do not stop taking your meds unless directed by your doctor. I have been told I will need to take meds for the rest of my life.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by TJ003:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Within one month of starting on Pentasa all my Crohn's symptoms have been completely in remission and have remained so going on 5 years now.

April 18, 2014 3:48 AM

Review by dippy di:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Works well for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by sewing (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: I had surgery removing 6" of my small intestines. In Dec. 2013 was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I have been taking Pentasa for about 3 months, since Jan. 2014. It has really helped me but I am losing handfuls of hair every day. I am also having dizzy spells. The hardest side effect to deal with is, every time I have a bowel movement, I have terrible itching inside my rectum. Otherwise I haven't noticed any other side effects yet.

March 11, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Asacol did not work well for me. It was no different from generic. I switched to this from Lialda to save money but it didn't work and I had to switch back.

February 23, 2014 2:17 AM

Review by Tomh219:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: This is the only mesalamine formulation that prevents my symptoms (with an anti-TNF medication), and since it's taken only in the morning it's much easier to manage. Zero side effects. Very, very expensive. Sign up for the prescription copay card to make it as affordable as the generics. Note that while the active ingredient is available as generic, the delayed-release action of this brand makes all the difference in my experience.

February 23, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by JodanA (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Had severe bloody diarrhea for a couple months, went away for two years then came back worse. I was then diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My Dr started me on 6 pills a day of Asacol. Within two weeks I was having completely normal bowel movements again with no pain. I then began decreasing my dosage (doctors orders) and now I am currently on 2 pills a day of 800g. My life is completely back to normal. The only side effect I have is slight dizziness during more stressful times. I have had a couple minor minor flares. I do miss my dosage once in a while but it never seems to affect me as long as I take my next dose. Would recommend Asacol in a heart beat!

February 6, 2014 5:22 PM

Review by Hotmomma1:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month.

January 28, 2014 5:11 PM

Review by Nene411 (taken for 10 years or more):

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I use to be on Asacol 400mg, but they stopped making or something. So, I've been on Asacol HD 800mg for about a year. I think it's the best for me, because I really haven't had any severe or major side effects from the medicine. It is doing the job it is supposed to do. I've been taking Asacol for over 20 years. Never had to try anything else, but for some reason they want me to try Imuran, and I don't like what the reviews are saying about it. Like they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. Overall, I've had some flares over the 20 yrs., but nothing is worth me having to get use to another medicine.

January 25, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by dalq:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Significantly reduces my Crohn's symptoms.

January 12, 2014 5:05 PM

Review by Some nauses (taken for less than 1 month):

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Working very good

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by Daniel from London:

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Salokfalk and then Prednisolone stopped the diarrhoea but not the blood, but within a week of talking one Mesalazine (UK name) tablet twice a day everything was pretty much back to normal.

January 11, 2014 11:00 AM