User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 1 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 25 reviews 74 medications

7.4
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 169 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Mesalamine

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I loved this medication when I was first diagnosed because I was feeling better immediately and everything cleared up 2 weeks in. I have been on this medication for almost 2 years now and I have gained 30lbs and when I am on highest dose of medication I get painful acne! I never had acne as a teen. I also feel bloated all the time and think Lialda makes me retain water. I forgot to take my pills once and the UC flare came roaring back within a day or two. My hair is also thinner :/ Did not fall out just thinned. Dont enjoy the symptoms, but I do appreciate that it does work!"

Bloated24/7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was diagnosed with left-sided UC in May of 2015. My GI prescribed 4.8 grams (4 pills in the am) of Lialda, plus 1 Canasa suppository (1 gram) at night. The suppository was for 3 weeks only. Within 2 weeks, the bleeding stopped, and I no longer saw the remnants of the colon tissue erosions when I had a bowl movement. I stopped taking the Canasa after a week and a half, because I think it was leading me towards diarrhea, and I felt slight rectal pain. There was no noticeable negative effect to me stopping the Canasa dose at that point. I continued to take the regular dosage of Lialda. I had some dizziness the first week or two, but that had since abated. I also noticed acne that I haven't had in many years. No issues with hair thinning."

Anonymous in PA June 25, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "My GP had me on another drug for 4 years and was feeling great. An annual colonoscopy showed nothing so the "Great Gastro" took me off everything and about a month later everything blew up. Went back to a Nurse Practitioner who apologized and put me on Lialda and Canasa.1 week later, great again. Ins Co after 6 months decided not to pay for Lialda so I was put on another couple worked for a couple months then blow up again.NP called Ins Co and got them to approve Lialda, Canasa again and 2 months in all ok except after eating still bloating and gas. We explored my eating habits ans she (NP) took me off gluten and gas and bloating stopped.Joints stopped aching. Try it! Can even touch my toes!!! Best NP around at OSU Gasto Clinic in Co"

tpkearns June 9, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "****Helpful information**** Search the web for Lialda coupons to get Lialda for $10 a month! I am a 24 year old that has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis since age 11. I started on Colazal when I was first diagnosed; but it only continued to keep me in remission for a few years. I was prescribed many of other medications that didn't seem to work for me either. Finally, once I was prescribed Lialda, my health and quality of life improved greatly! Lialda is such a life saver for me! (Although I still have occasional flare-ups, things calm down when suppositories are used in conjunction with Lialda )"

Love pekala 88 April 16, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have fairly severe Ulcerative Colitis & after 4 months of feeling horrible, tired, bloody diarrhea with the constant urge to go & fear of eating & setting it off again I was finally diagnosed & put on Lialda - 4 pills once a day. At first it caused horrible gas & bloating & took about a week or so to help the symptoms at all but after a few weeks the symptoms were completely gone & the side effects went away as my body got used to the medication. Then about 1 month into taking it I developed horrible cystic acne all over my face, neck, chest, even in my nostrils & ears! My Dr cut the dose in half to 2 pills once a day & within a few days my skin started to clear & heal. I have been on the lower dose for about a month with NO PROBLEMS!!"

KeenKitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with ulceratis colitis at 38, started on Asacol pills for about 4 years with several side effects including distinctive darkening of the blood. I was told by a family friend that the condition could potentially be harmful to internal organs. I asked GI to switch me to Canasa suppositories (Mesalamine) I noticed a significant difference with more energy and less UC problems. I have been on the Canasa for about 10 years now and I have been able to reduce from once a day (1000 mg suppository) to as needed only (2-3 x wk.). I don't like taking meds at all so I have been changing my diet to natural organic whole foods, veggies, nuts and grains, juicing, etc. "

Xooe March 19, 2015

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Lived in Australia for 2 years and switched to Salofalk from Asacol. It worked great and I had no side effects."

Jacques V March 16, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I was diagnosed with UC at 18 years old. After a week in the hospital they came up with the final diagnosis and after a few tried meds they landed me on Lialda and it worked great for me for 7-8 years, only experiencing flare ups if I were to drink too much alcohol and lose sleep which was rare but in that case I would need to use prednisone to get back into remission. Healthy diet, sleep, exercise, and Lialda kept me normal! I am 26 now and I feel my body has built up a tolerance, for the past year I have been on a low, going to the restroom more than 5 times a day. Up until now Lialda was perfect. With the Shire card and health insurance it was only $10 a month."

Corums March 9, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "My stomach was severely swollen. Felt like I was 9 months pregnant! The swelling started to decrease after the second day on the medication, such a relief!!"

Mrs. MC (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

Rowasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This is my third flare after being diagnosed with UC almost 5 years ago, so I consider myself lucky. I take oral mesalamine, which is becoming less effective against flare ups. My GI prescribed Rowasa, much to my dismay. It took 4 nights before I got the hang of administering the medication. Retaining it night 1 was almost unbearable. Night 2 was easier, but no less unpleasant. It helps to lay on your left side for 20+ minutes. I haven't had an issue with leakage or side effects, other than the urge to have a bowel movement and really loud gurgling in my lower colon. Faint nausea that passed in less than a minute. But the benefits far outweigh everything - my flare up has diminished so much in the last 5 days!"

Young UC Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Pentasa has changed my life totally. Was going to toilet up to 10 times a day until I was prescribed this. Now I've got my freedom back. Brilliant! No side effects worth worrying about. Take 2 x 500mg slow release tablets twice a day."

Busylizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Have had colitis for 20 years and been on mesalamine for all of it. Asacol was inconvenient because 6 pills throughout the day was hard to do. Lialda is very expensive even with insurance and their card, but it works and it's only two pills a day. The dietary changes and medication are worth it if I can eliminate surgery."

imf December 3, 2014

For Ulcerative Proctitis: "I've had some minor GI issues all my life, I just figured that's to bad and dealt with it. Over the past 10 years it's been a little worse, but I rarely have problems always thinking out food poisoning. Over the past 5 or so years I developed somewhat reoccurring symptoms, but in general very good health. Diarrhea and bloody stool that would subside in under a week or two and happen a few times per year. A few months ago I ran into a problem I couldn't shake mucusy bloody stool all the time and loose stools always. It lasted more than 2 weeks so I had to get it checked finally. A few dr visits and a colonoscopy diagnosed me with ulcerative proctitis. I'm using the enemas nightly. In under a week of use I have no blood, no odd discharge, feel normal."

mid30smale (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2014

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Didn't work for me. In fact, made things worse. Caused bleeding at a time when that was no longer an issue for me."

Ronny Spinto October 30, 2014

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I took Apriso for a year and it was successful in treating my ulcerative colitis. I was then switched to Asacol HD. My prescription plan eventually decided Asacol HD was too expensive and I was put back on Apriso. This second course on Apriso was not successful. It did nothing to alleviate my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms, and produced a number of unpleasant side affects - the worst of which was moderate-to-severe stomach cramps around the clock - even waking me from sound sleep. Coupled with an incredibly dry mouth that invited multiple canker sores to erupt in my mouth, these symptoms made eating anything very unpleasant; I lost 15 lbs in the three weeks I was on the Apriso. As soon as I stopped taking it, the cramping and canker sores disappeared."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Starting taking Lialda about a month and a half ago and it took a couple of weeks to start working. As soon as it started working I felt great no more stomach pain, no more blood, no more diarrhea oh finally something that help take the pain away I was shocked at how good it worked. But then I should have known it was to good to be true about four weeks into it. My beautiful hair started falling out in clumps every time I washed it or even brushed it. I mean it was a lot every time I would cry. Also the muscle aches were the worst. I would sit for maybe 10 minutes and go to get up and almost fall over because my legs almost gave out. Other then that it works great for the pain but I can't take the side effects so I'm going to be switching medicines."

mymyasky1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "My doctor switched me from Acacol HD to Lialda after I lost my insurance and needed a less expensive substitute. I was worried because I had grown accustomed to Asacol and did very well on that medicine. After a few days of adjusting to Lialda, with no real problems or side effects (just a little gas during the first 48 hours), I feel fantastic on Lialda. I've been on Lialda for about 5 months now, and feel as good, if not better than I did on Asacol. I have fewer headaches that I did on Asacol and feel great less stomach cramps. Best of all, for me or anyone who is on the go during the day, I now take one Lialda tablet, twice daily (once in the morning, once at night). This is compared to two Asacol tablets THREE times daily."

Chad11990 September 9, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have diagnose with Ulcerative Colitis (Proctitis) for last 4 years. Lialda has worked for me best with no side effect. I am taking 2 tab twice daily. For people with Ulcerative colitis in distal part of colon Lialda will work best. I had tried 2 years ago to switch to Apriso only because of the cost of Lialda and had a worst flare up and took 6 month to get normal with oral steroid and steroid enemas. I am using Lialda Pharmacy Saving card which reduce my copay to $10/month."

UP2020 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2014

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Severe vertigo, sweating, vomiting."

silver59 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2014

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "First placed on this medication in 2012 with no improvement in condition."

American 1 July 24, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have taken Lialda for a month and my symptoms have stopped. I have side effects of leg cramps. My Dr did not know about this site effect. Makes me wonder about him."

Jim28021 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2014

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I was told to switch to Lialda after being on Asacol HD for 3 years 2 pills 3x a day 800mg each, due to my insurance not covering it anymore. My doctor told me the only difference was the coating, so I felt confident making the switch. By the end of week one of Lialda 1200mg 2 pills 2x a day, I was starting to get pain and go more frequently until it turned into diarrhea. I had no flare ups for a year and had been feeling great on the Asacol, so I immediately switched back to it after a month on Lialda. It was too late the wheels had already started turning on the road to a flare up. I am now on day 8 of being back on Asacol, waiting for my prednisone to get me better. I am so disappointed this happened."

Tummyache416 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2014