User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis, Active 74 reviews 70 medications

7.2
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 203 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Mesalamine

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Does great relieving pain from blocked bowels."

Sam26123 April 16, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

colten970 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: "I've been using pentasa 2 times a day a total of 4 pills it definitely helps! Sometimes I get headaches and feel sick sometimes and occasionally get pain and for some reason ever since I started taking them I get these weird skin patches"

Amanda lynn April 2, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on lialda for almost a month and take 1200 mg twice a day. Has helped but my hair is falling out and I hope it stops soon. I also can't sleep. I am awake until 3AM and then will doze for about 45 minutes. I like the medication but not sleeping is a real pain."

Oflair March 25, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "This drug almost killed me. I started during a flare up in my 2nd trimester. My hair would fall out and kept reporting unexplained protein in my urine at every doc appointment...I lost 15 lbs during pregnancy and was determine high risk. 6 months post term, I started to get severe chills to fever, couldn't eat, had full colitis symptoms...was hospitalized with cardiac distress, severe anemia and dehydration and stage 4 kidney failure caused by Lialda...mayo clinic detected that the protein in my urine was in fact a side effect from the lialda. I was immediately taken off and my creatin and iron levels began to stabilize and my hair stopped falling out."

kbbaby March 22, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "took Lialda and was fine for 3 months. No bleeding and had normal stool. Then suddenly I had skin rash and acne."

grizzy p (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I have been on this medication for the last three weeks and have not noticed any improvement. My symptoms the last 6 days have been at its worse (going to bathroom almost every 2) hours. My doctor told me to keep taking the medication and is putting me on UCERIS. Just took that pill yesterday. Hopefully that pill works cause this disease sucks right, I am so afraid to go out anywhere because I am waiting on when I will have to go to the Bathroom... I'll keep an update of UCERIS is effective"

Jay1983 March 11, 2016

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Diagnosed with Crohn's at 42. Took Asacol till a couple years ago. It was no longer available. Now on Asacol HD. Works well and no flares in 2 years. Price is expensive. Our insurance just sent us a letter they will no longer cover it starting next month. Gastro doc will be switching me to another name brand (Lialda). I hope it works the same!"

Loris in Ohio (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "I have been on salofalk since I was diagnosed with UC 18 months ago. Over that time I've had about 8 courses of prednisone. Every time I come off prednisone and rely solely on Salofalk I get another flare. I'm currently on 1500mg/day of salofalk. Even after being hospitalised and pumped full of steroids which resulted in no symptoms (and normal bowel movements - YAY!) the salofalk couldn't keep me there :("

UC12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have ulcerative sigmoiditis & proctitis. I couldn't retain rowasa very long. The GE switched me to sulfasalazine, first 4/day which worked for a few months, then 8/day which worked for two-three years. I still had flare-ups a few times per year. Then he upped it to 16/day, but that only worked for about a year. I was having flare-ups all the time, I was tired of taking pills, so I asked my PCP to try me on another drug, Apriso. I was in the middle of a flare-up, so it took a few weeks to kick in. But that's the last flare up I've had. It's 4 capsules only, once per day, and I haven't had a flare-up since I started taking it about 5 years ago. I have not noticed any side effects."

JLB21 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 14, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I had tons of hair loss and the medication never did anything for me. My doctor finally agreed to take me off it after 9 months."

Marcimc1 February 1, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "After taking Lialda for 2 years my hair is very thin. It has not controlled me from going to the bathroom alot. I started noticing besides my hair getting thin, having severe headaches. had to have a blood transfusion and my urine started getting darker and darker. The the straw that broke the camel's back was my tongue and lips swelled and I had hives all over they were so severe that I didn't get any sleep they caused me to have blisters. After 3 trips to the ER they finally found something to help the hives. I haven't eaten a full meal in over a year do to the fact that my mouth and lips were so swore and painful to eat. When all the side affects started piling up I just quit taking it and call my gasteronolist and will see him in 2 weeks"

Very unhappy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine worked really well for me this is the first time I used it and it did its job within first use"

Khan safina January 18, 2016

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I feel great. Colonoscopy not so great. Been on lialda for 3 yrs. Wonder what eating/drinking habits the person from Iowa has.."

Feel great, coloniscopy not December 15, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects."

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I find this med works better than asacol for me."

UC December 1, 2015

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Glad to say , I am no longer taking this product that really never worked anyway. Have no symptoms for 5 years, everyone said I would be taking prescription medication for life. I just change my eating and drinking habits and you to can win the battle. Good Luck."

no more systoms in Iowa (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 19, 2015

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Helped with crohns but gave me acne and increased tinnitus"

Juniper6543 November 18, 2015

Apriso (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: "It caused severe cramps, nausea and more bleeding. I went on vegan diet with no processed foods and took aloe vera juice instead my ulcerative colitis cleared up within a few months."

Hawa1111 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've been on pentasa for 3 years. I've had very bad acne and losing a lot of hair."

Raniya November 13, 2015

Salofalk (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "I think it's making my symptoms worse. I went from going to the bathroom most frequently at night to all day after starting Salofalk enemas and suppositories."

Te (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication."

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: "Works great for me. No flares in years."

STeve 2015 October 20, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Newly diagnosed, but this has really helped me feel normal again. So far so good. I do struggle with the amount of pills needed though - right now I'm taking 4 in the morning and 4 at night."

susan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: "Have been taking the delzicol for 7 weeks and still not working as does ASACOL. 700 dollars later, who do I complain to...I need Asacol after all. Has only calmed things, still unable to eat most things and see no future for me and delzicol."

Pashik September 27, 2015