User Reviews for Mesalamine

Also known as: Apriso, Asacol, Asacol HD, Canasa, Canasa Pac, Delzicol, FIV-ASA, Lialda, Mesasal Enteric Coated, Pentasa, Rowasa, Rowasa Sulfite Free, Salofalk

Learn more about Mesalamine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 1 reviews 73 medications

7.5
Summary of Mesalamine reviews 139 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Mesalamine

Review by TJ003: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Within one month of starting on Pentasa all my Crohn's symptoms have been completely in remission and have remained so going on 5 years now.

April 18, 2014 3:48 AM
Review by dippy di: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Works well for me.

March 11, 2014 6:30 PM
Review by sewing (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: I had surgery removing 6" of my small intestines. In Dec. 2013 was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I have been taking Pentasa for about 3 months, since Jan. 2014. It has really helped me but I am losing handfuls of hair every day. I am also having dizzy spells. The hardest side effect to deal with is, every time I have a bowel movement, I have terrible itching inside my rectum. Otherwise I haven't noticed any other side effects yet.

March 11, 2014 1:07 PM
Review by Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Asacol did not work well for me. It was no different from generic. I switched to this from Lialda to save money but it didn't work and I had to switch back.

February 23, 2014 2:17 AM
Review by Tomh219: User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: This is the only mesalamine formulation that prevents my symptoms (with an anti-TNF medication), and since it's taken only in the morning it's much easier to manage. Zero side effects. Very, very expensive. Sign up for the prescription copay card to make it as affordable as the generics. Note that while the active ingredient is available as generic, the delayed-release action of this brand makes all the difference in my experience.

February 23, 2014 1:51 AM
Review by JodanA (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Had severe bloody diarrhea for a couple months, went away for two years then came back worse. I was then diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My Dr started me on 6 pills a day of Asacol. Within two weeks I was having completely normal bowel movements again with no pain. I then began decreasing my dosage (doctors orders) and now I am currently on 2 pills a day of 800g. My life is completely back to normal. The only side effect I have is slight dizziness during more stressful times. I have had a couple minor minor flares. I do miss my dosage once in a while but it never seems to affect me as long as I take my next dose. Would recommend Asacol in a heart beat!

February 6, 2014 5:22 PM
Review by Hotmomma1: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2014 5:11 PM
Review by Nene411 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I use to be on Asacol 400mg, but they stopped making or something. So, I've been on Asacol HD 800mg for about a year. I think it's the best for me, because I really haven't had any severe or major side effects from the medicine. It is doing the job it is supposed to do. I've been taking Asacol for over 20 years. Never had to try anything else, but for some reason they want me to try Imuran, and I don't like what the reviews are saying about it. Like they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. Overall, I've had some flares over the 20 yrs., but nothing is worth me having to get use to another medicine.

January 25, 2014 1:24 PM
Review by dalq: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Significantly reduces my Crohn's symptoms.

January 12, 2014 5:05 PM
Review by Some nauses (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Delzicol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Working very good

January 11, 2014 11:20 AM
Review by Daniel from London: User Rating:

mesalamine for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Salokfalk and then Prednisolone stopped the diarrhoea but not the blood, but within a week of talking one Mesalazine (UK name) tablet twice a day everything was pretty much back to normal.

January 11, 2014 11:00 AM
Review by 7yearsawaiting: User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Diagnosed in 2006 with severe Crohns disease. Tried a dozen medications and never had any success or even close to finding remission. Consistent pain, diarrhea, naesua etc.....started Lialda 1.2GM once daily 4 days ago. My pain, naesua and everything stopped within a few hours of first dose except diarrhea, its actually gotten worse and completely watery. Is this normal and if so how long does it typically last. I am SO happy to being 100% pain free for the first time in 7 years without having to use a pain killer just want the diarrhea to stop so I can be more active outside of the hone with my children.

October 22, 2013 1:42 AM
Review by Artsytamara (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Hair loss, bloating, headache, night sweats, stretch marks on inner thighs and increased frequency on bowel motion.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 16, 2013 4:23 PM
Review by JenniferL444 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I take two Lialda pills every morning..(1.2gm), Lialda helped my stomach pains and bleeding tremendously! I recommend to everyone! It took a good 2 months to really show a big difference but I am so happy I finally found something that helps. It has taken me years to finally find something. Also, Contact your doctor or Lialda because it%u2019s really expensive but you can get their coupon card and only pay $10 a month.

October 14, 2013 12:33 PM
Review by Finally feel normal (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Proctitis: I am 26 years old and have been battling with bad stomach problems for most of my life. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis about 4 years ago. My doctor put me on Lialda but I didn't stick with it. This past December, I had my first flare up...it was awful. I lost 10lbs and just felt sick all of the time. I went back on Lialda (3 pills a day) in January. At first, I didn't feel any different but then it really started working. It has been 8 months and I feel like a normal person now. Still have the occasional stomach ache but nothing abnormal! Feel great!

August 14, 2013 9:55 AM
Review by Grammie904: User Rating:

Apriso (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a year ago. Took medicine for a month. Cleared up. Recently, another flare up. Am taking again and is slowly clearing up again.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 6, 2013 9:09 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 10 days ago. Started 800MG 2 tablets, 3 times/day plus suppository at night. Diarrhea quickly went down to once a day instead of eight times. Experiencing fatigue, slight nausea and seem to be developing acne.

July 30, 2013 10:03 AM
Review by In God We Trust: User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: I have Ulcerative Colitis and have been on Lialda for a few years, 4 pills per day. I am in remission. My biggest problem is Urgency and if I can conquer this problem I would be so much better. I have no pain. I eat most foods but stay away from gassy foods such as beans. I found that when I eat popcorn, I have problems.

July 12, 2013 12:04 PM
Review by Crohn7 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: I had Crohn's with a resection 30 years ago and have been mostly in remission since. Have recently had a bad flare and narrowing at the anastomosis and need to be on medication, but haven't found one that I can handle. Asacol gave me such serious body aching and fatigue that I could not function. Pentasa immediately gave me heart palpitations and arrhythmias so I had to discontinue it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 6, 2013 12:37 PM
Review by mvillarreal1999: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: I've had Cronhs since 2006. In 2011 I was put on Pentasa. It works if you take it as prescribed. I do admit I don't take my medications like I'm supposed to, but it does work.

June 20, 2013 1:47 PM
Review by J. Mccartney: User Rating:

Pentasa (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups

June 19, 2013 6:45 PM
Review by CarmenI.Cruz: User Rating:

Asacol HD (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: Is good

June 8, 2013 7:21 PM
Review by No more UC!: User Rating:

Lialda (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: I have been on several Ulcerative Colitis medicines for the past 10 years. Lialda has been amazing - I feel like a normal person. Asacol worked for me but I could never remember to take it 3 times a day. Lialda was 4 pills (a bit big) once in the morning. Lialda has been my life changer. I heard it is outrageously expensive but with good insurance it is very manageable.

May 31, 2013 5:09 PM
Review by pmd53 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Ulcerative Colitis: Great, the only medicine that got me under control, no more bathroom mapping while leaving the house.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 12, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by Nano also (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Asacol (mesalamine) for Crohn's Disease: Has been very effective for maintaining remission of symptoms. Note: had to decrease dose to 400 mg 3 times daily. Passed pills whole at higher dose.

April 28, 2013 5:02 PM