Vitrasert Side Effects
Generic Name: ganciclovir ophthalmic
Note: This document contains side effect information about ganciclovir ophthalmic. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Vitrasert.
For the Consumer
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: intraocular implant
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, ganciclovir ophthalmic (the active ingredient contained in Vitrasert) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Also, ganciclovir has been found to cause cancerous tumors in animals. Discuss these possible effects with your doctor.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking ganciclovir ophthalmic:More common—Usually occur within the first 2 months after the surgery
- Decrease in vision (severe)
- seeing flashes or sparks of light
- seeing floating spots before the eyes, or a veil or curtain appearing across part of vision
- Blurred vision or other change in vision
- decreased vision or other change in vision
- eye pain or tearing
- red or bloodshot eye
- sensitivity of eye to light
- Eye irritation
- swelling of the membrane covering the white part of the eye
Some side effects of ganciclovir ophthalmic may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Decrease in vision lasting approximately 2 to 4 weeks
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: intraocular implant, ophthalmic gel
The following side effects are for the ophthalmic gel only; if available, the manufacturer product information for the intraocular implant should be consulted for additional information.
1. "Product Information. Zirgan (ganciclovir ophthalmic)." Sirion Therapeutics, Tampa, FL.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Vitrasert (ganciclovir ophthalmic)
- Vitrasert Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: ophthalmic anti-infectives
Other brands: Zirgan