Rixubis Side Effects
Generic Name: coagulation factor ix
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug coagulation factor ix. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Rixubis.
More frequent side effects include: dizziness, nausea, skin rash, and urticaria. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to coagulation factor ix: intravenous powder for solution
As well as its needed effects, coagulation factor ix (the active ingredient contained in Rixubis) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking coagulation factor ix, check with your doctor or nurse immediately:Incidence not known:
- blurred vision
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- chest pain
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially calves of the legs
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- severe headaches of sudden onset
- sudden loss of coordination
- sudden onset of shortness of breath for no apparent reason
- sudden onset of slurred speech
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- sudden vision changes
- tenderness, pain, swelling, warmth, skin discoloration, and prominent superficial veins over affected area
- tightness in the chest
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Minor Side Effects
Some coagulation factor ix side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common:
- Change in taste
- loss of taste
- pain in the arms or legs
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to coagulation factor ix: intravenous kit, intravenous powder for injection
Hypersensitivity side effects have included hypersensitivity reactions, including bronchospastic reactions and/or hypotension and anaphylaxis.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included and the development of high-titer inhibitors necessitating alternative treatments to factor IX replacement therapy.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea and vomiting.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included hives, rash, and flushing.[Ref]
Local side effects have included Injection site reaction, Injection site pain, cellulitis at IV site, and phlebitis at IV site.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included headache, dizziness, taste perversion (altered taste), shaking, and drowsiness.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included dry cough, hypoxia, chest tightness, and dyspnea (respiratory distress)[Ref]
General side effects have included fever.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision.[Ref]
Renal side effects have e included renal infarction.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Alphanine SD (coagulation factor IX)." Grifols Biologicals Inc, Los Angeles, CA.
2. "Product Information. Mononine (coagulation factor IX)." CSL Behring, King of Prussia, PA.
3. "Product Information. BeneFIX (coagulation factor IX)." Wyeth Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
It is possible that some side effects of Rixubis may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Rixubis (coagulation factor ix)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.