Pentetate calcium trisodium Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 10, 2021.
For the Consumer
Applies to pentetate calcium trisodium: solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, pentetate calcium trisodium may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Also, because of the way these medicines act on the body, there is a chance that they might cause other unwanted effects that may not occur until months or years after the medicine is used. These may include certain types of cancer, such as leukemia or bladder cancer. Discuss these possible effects with your doctor.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking pentetate calcium trisodium:
- Chest pain
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- tightness in chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of pentetate calcium trisodium may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at site
- blistering, crusting, irritation, itching, or reddening of skin
- cracked, dry, scaly skin
- metallic taste
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to pentetate calcium trisodium: injectable solution
Frequency not reported: Chest pain, depletion of zinc, magnesium, manganese, and metalloproteinases
Frequency not reported: Headache, lightheadedness, metallic taste[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, diarrhea[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Coughing, wheezing[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Dermatitis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site reactions[Ref]
More about pentetate calcium trisodium
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: antidotes
- Patient Information
- Pentetate calcium trisodium Intravenous, Inhalation, oral/nebulization (Advanced Reading)
- Technetium tc 99m pentetate Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Diethylene Triamine Penta-Acetic Acid
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Pentetate Calcium Trisodium (pentetate calcium trisodium)." Akorn Inc, Buffalo Grove, IL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.