Myotonachol Side Effects
Generic name: bethanechol
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 27, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about bethanechol. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Myotonachol.
For the Consumer
Applies to bethanechol: tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, bethanechol (the active ingredient contained in Myotonachol) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking bethanechol:
Rare- more common with the injection
- Shortness of breath, wheezing, or tightness in chest
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of bethanechol may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less common or rare- more common with the injection
- blurred vision or change in near or distance vision
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- feeling faint
- frequent urge to urinate
- increased watering of mouth or sweating
- nausea or vomiting
- redness or flushing of skin or feeling of warmth
- sleeplessness, nervousness, or jitters
- stomach discomfort or pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to bethanechol: compounding powder, oral tablet, subcutaneous solution
Adverse reactions occur more commonly following subcutaneous administration than with oral administration.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Parasympathetic stimulation, headache[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Lacrimation, miosis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Bronchial constriction, asthmatic attack[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Sweating, skin flushing, skin warmth, sensation of heat about the face[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Urinary urgency[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Malaise[Ref]
More about Myotonachol (bethanechol)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: miscellaneous genitourinary tract agents
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Bethanechol Chloride (bethanechol)." Wockhardt USA Inc, Warwick, NY.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.