Mydral Side Effects
Generic Name: tropicamide ophthalmic
Note: This document contains side effect information about tropicamide ophthalmic. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Mydral.
For the Consumer
Applies to tropicamide ophthalmic: ophthalmic solution
Along with its needed effects, tropicamide ophthalmic (the active ingredient contained in Mydral) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking tropicamide ophthalmic:Symptoms of too much medicine being absorbed into the body
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- fast heartbeat
- flushing or redness of face
- hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
- increased thirst or dryness of mouth
- skin rash
- slurred speech
- swollen stomach in infants
- unusual behavior, especially in children
- unusual drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness
Some side effects of tropicamide ophthalmic may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Blurred vision
- sensitivity of eyes to light
- stinging of the eye when the medicine is applied
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to tropicamide ophthalmic: compounding powder, ophthalmic solution
Frequency not reported: Psychotic reaction, behavioral disturbance[Ref]
Behavioral disturbances or psychotic reactions may be more common in children.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Headache, drowsiness, somnolence, fatigue, trouble concentrating, central nervous system disturbances, dysphonia
Postmarketing reports: Dizziness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscle rigidity[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Tropicamide (tropicamide ophthalmic)." Bausch and Lomb, Rochester, NY.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Mydral (tropicamide ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: mydriatics