Mumps virus vaccine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to mumps virus vaccine: subcutaneous injectable, subcutaneous powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, mumps virus vaccine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking mumps virus vaccine:Symptoms of allergic reaction
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- itching, especially of feet or hands
- reddening of skin, especially around ears
- swelling of eyes, face, or inside of nose
- unusual tiredness or weakness (sudden and severe)
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking mumps virus vaccine:Rare
- Bruising or purple spots on skin
- fever over 103 °F (39.4 °C)
- headache (severe or continuing)
- pain, tenderness, or swelling in testicles and scrotum (in adolescent boys and men)
- stiff neck
Some side effects of mumps virus vaccine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Burning or stinging at place of injection
- Fever of 100 °F (37.7 °C) or less
- itching, swelling, redness, tenderness, or hard lump at place of injection
- skin rash
- swollen glands on side of face or neck
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to mumps virus vaccine: subcutaneous powder for injection
Local side effects have included burning/stinging at the injection site and wheal and flare.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included orchitis.[Ref]
Although a causal relationship between the Urabe strain of mumps vaccine and aseptic meningitis has been shown, there are no data that associate the currently used Jeryl Lynn vaccine strain to aseptic meningitis.[Ref]
Other side effects have included fever, syncope, and irritability.
Fatalities have been reported following administration of the polyvalent measles/mumps/rubella vaccine; however, causality has not been determined.
Health care providers should report any allergic or unusual adverse reactions to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) at 1-800-822-7967 (USA) and the manufacturer.[Ref]
A postmarketing surveillance study in Finland during 1982 to 1993 with 1.5 million pediatric and adult vaccinees (measles/mumps/rubella vaccine) reported no deaths or permanent sequelae.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Mumpsvax (mumps virus vaccine (live).)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about mumps virus vaccine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: viral vaccines
Other brands: Mumpsvax