Haegarda Side Effects
Generic Name: C1 esterase inhibitor (human)
Note: This document contains side effect information about C1 esterase inhibitor (human). Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Haegarda.
For the Consumer
Applies to C1 esterase inhibitor (human): intravenous powder for solution
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, C1 esterase inhibitor (human) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking C1 esterase inhibitor (human):
- Large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
Incidence Not Known
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially calves of the legs
- severe headaches of sudden onset
- shortness of breath
- sudden loss of coordination
- sudden onset of shortness of breath for no apparent reason
- sudden onset of slurred speech
- sudden vision changes
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of C1 esterase inhibitor (human) may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Back pain
- burning sensation on the skin
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- sensation of spinning
Incidence Not Known
- Abdominal or stomach pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to C1 esterase inhibitor (human): intravenous kit, intravenous powder for injection, subcutaneous powder for injection
Nervous system side effects have included headache.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects have included limb injury, back pain, and pain in extremity.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cinryze (complement C1 esterase inhibitor)." ViroPharma Incorporated, Exton, PA.
2. Gandhi PK, Gentry WM, Bottorff MB "Thrombotic events associated with C1 esterase inhibitor products in patients with hereditary angioedema: investigation from the United States Food and Drug Administration adverse event reporting system database." Pharmacotherapy 32 (2012): 902-9
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.