Folic Acid / Cobalamin / Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Pronunciation: FOLE-ic acid/koe-BAL-uh-min/peer-ih-DOX-een HIGH-droe-KLOR-ide
Class: Nutritional combination
- Tablets 25 mg vitamin B 6 , 1 mg vitamin B 12 , 2.5 mg folic acid
PharmacologyFolic acid and cobalamin
Reduces homocysteine by metabolizing it to methionine.Pyridoxine
Facilitates breakdown of homocysteine to cysteine and other byproducts.
Indications and Usage
For nutritional requirement of patients with end-stage renal failure, dialysis, hyperhomocysteinemia, homocystinuria, nutrient malabsorption or inadequate dietary intake, particularly for patients with or at risk for cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease, arteriosclerotic vascular disease, neurological disorders, Alzheimer disease, and renal disease.
Dosage and AdministrationAdults
PO 1 tablet every day or as directed by health care provider.
- Administer daily without regard to meals. Administer with food if GI upset occurs.
Store tablets at controlled room temperature (59° to 86°F). Protect from light and moisture.
Drug InteractionsHydantoins (eg, phenytoin)
Pharmacologic effect of hydantoins may be decreased.Levodopa
Pharmacologic activity of levodopa may be antagonized (interaction does not occur with levodopa/carbidopa combination with pyridoxine).
Laboratory Test InteractionsPyridoxine
May result in false-positive urobilinogen in the spot test using Ehrlich's reagent.
Peripheral vascular thrombosis.
Itching; transitory exanthema.
Mild transient diarrhea.
Allergy; feeling of body swelling.
Excreted in breast milk.Cobalamin
Excreted in breast milk.Pyridoxine
Excreted in breast milk and may inhibit lactation.
Folic acid may obscure pernicious anemia; however, cyanocobalamin present in product should address this precaution.
Ataxia, sensory neuropathy
- Instruct patient to take prescribed dose every day.
- Advise patient that medication can be taken without regard to meals, but to take with food if GI upset occurs.
- Caution patient not to change the dose or stop taking unless advised by health care provider.
- Advise patient to notify health care provider if any of the following are noted: rash, itching, drowsiness, abnormal skin or body sensations, diarrhea.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.