Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Cough Mucus and Congestion Liquid Gels
Dosage form: capsule, liquid filled
Ingredients: PHENYLEPHRINE HYDROCHLORIDE 5mg, ACETAMINOPHEN 250mg, GUAIFENESIN 200mg, DEXTROMETHORPHAN HYDROBROMIDE 10mg
Labeler: Bayer HealthCare LLC.
NDC Code: 0280-0505
Disclaimer: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
|Active ingredients (in each capsule)||Purposes|
|Acetaminophen 250 mg||Pain reliever/fever reducer|
|Dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg||Cough suppressant|
|Guaifenesin 200 mg||Expectorant|
|Phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg||Nasal decongestant|
· helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid
the bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs
· temporarily relieves these symptoms due to a cold or flu:
· nasal congestion · sinus congestion and pressure
· minor aches and pains · headache
· cough · sore throat
· temporarily reduces fever
Liver warning: This product contains acetaminophen. Severe liver damage may occur if you take
· more than 4,000 mg of acetaminophen in 24 hours
· with other drugs containing acetaminophen
· 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day while using this product
Allergy alert: Acetaminophen may cause severe skin or severe
allergic reactions. Symptoms may include:
· skin reddening · blisters · rash · hives
· facial swelling · asthma (wheezing) · shock
If a skin or general allergic reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical
help right away.
Sore throat warning: If sore throat is severe, persists for more than
2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, nausea,
or vomiting, consult a doctor promptly.
Do not use
- with any other drug containing acetaminophen (prescription or nonprescription). If you are not sure whether a drug contains acetaminophen, ask a doctor or pharmacist.
- if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this product or any of its ingredients
- in children under 12 years of age
- liver disease
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- thyroid disease
- difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland
- persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema
- cough with excessive phlegm (mucus)
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking the blood thinning drug warfarin
When using this product do not exceed recommended dosage
- pain, cough, or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 7 days
- fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- redness or swelling is present
- new symptoms occur
- cough comes back or occurs with fever, rash or headache that lasts.
- These could be signs of a serious condition.
- nervousness, dizziness, or sleeplessness occurs
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. Quick medical attention is critical for adults as well as for children even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.
- do not take more than the recommended dose
- adults and children 12 years and over: take 2 capsules with water every 4 hours. Do not exceed 12 capsules in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor.
- children under 12 years: do not use
- store at 15-25ºC (59-77ºF)
FD&C red #40, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, shellac, sodium hydroxide, sorbitol-sorbitan solution, titanium dioxide
Questions or comments? 1-800-986-03 69 (Mon-Fri 9AM - 5PM EST)
|ALKA-SELTZER PLUS SEVERE COUGH MUCUS AND CONGESTION
alka-seltzer plus severe cough mucus and congestion capsule, liquid filled
|Labeler - Bayer HealthCare LLC. (112117283)|
Medically reviewed on Jun 15, 2017
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.