VivitrolTreatment for Alcohol Dependence, Opiate Dependence
FDA Extends PDUFA Date for Vivitrex to December 30, 2005
Cephalon and Alkermes Continue to Anticipate Vivitrex Launch in First Half of 2006
FRAZER, Pa. & CAMBRIDGE, Mass., September 20, 2005 - Cephalon, Inc. (Nasdaq: CEPH) and Alkermes, Inc. (Nasdaq: ALKS) announced today that they have received notification from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that the agency has extended the action date to December 30, 2005 for its priority review of the New Drug Application (NDA) for Vivitrex (naltrexone long-acting injection) for the treatment of alcohol dependence. The original action date under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) for the Vivitrex NDA was September 30, 2005. The companies continue to anticipate the launch of Vivitrex in the first half of 2006.
The extension is a result of the FDA classifying a recent response by Alkermes as a major amendment to the NDA, which permits the FDA to extend the action date by 90 days under PDUFA regulations.
"We will continue to work closely with the FDA to assist them in the completion of the review of the application in a timely manner," stated Richard Pops, CEO of Alkermes. "This extension does not affect our plans for the timing of the commercial launch of Vivitrex."
"We have made great progress in developing commercial launch plans for Vivitrex and remain on schedule for a product launch in the first half of 2006," said Frank Baldino, Jr., Ph.D., Chairman and CEO of Cephalon.
In June 2005, Cephalon and Alkermes entered into an agreement to develop and commercialize Vivitrex in the United States for the treatment of alcohol dependence.
Posted: September 2005
- FDA Approves Vivitrol to Treat Opioid-dependent Patients - October 13, 2010
- FDA Approves Vivitrol (naltrexone) for the Treatment for Alcohol Dependence - April 13, 2006
- Alkermes Announces Submission of Complete Response to FDA for Vivitrol New Drug Application - February 17, 2006
- FDA Issues Approvable Letter for Vivitrol (formerly Vivitrex), for the Treatment of Alcohol Dependence - December 28, 2005
- Alkermes Announces Priority Review Granted For Vivitrex (Naltrexone Long-Acting Injection) NDA Submission - May 27, 2005
- Alkermes Announces Submission of New Drug Application for Vivitrex for Treatment of Alcohol Dependence - April 1, 2005
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.