Remoxy ERTreatment for Pain
FDA Accepts Remoxy NDA For Review
AUSTIN, Texas, March 01, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pain Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:PTIE) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that a New Drug Application (NDA) for Remoxy ER, the Company’s lead drug candidate, is sufficiently complete to permit a substantive review.
The FDA has set an action date of August 7, 2018 under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA). The Company believes the FDA will hold an open advisory committee meeting to discuss Remoxy ER, although a date has not yet been determined.
"The acceptance of the Remoxy NDA marks another important milestone for Pain Therapeutics," said Remi Barbier, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Pain Therapeutics. "We are grateful to everyone who has contributed to the development of Remoxy ER over the years. We now look forward to working closely with the FDA during the regulatory review process."
Remoxy ER is an abuse-deterrent, extended-release, capsule formulation of oxycodone (CII), a prescription drug for severe pain. Remoxy ER has a thick, sticky, high-viscosity capsule formulation designed to deter unapproved routes of drug administration, such as injection, snorting or smoking. Pain Therapeutics developed REMOXY ER to make oxycodone difficult to abuse yet provide 12 hours of steady pain relief when used appropriately by patients with pain.
Pain Therapeutics filed the Remoxy NDA through the 505(b)(2) regulatory pathway.
About Opioid Abuse
Opioid drugs such as oxycodone are an important treatment option for patients with severe chronic pain. However, oxycodone abuse and diversion remain serious, persistent problems. Opioid overdose deaths exceeded 64,000 in 2016, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). For over a decade, Pain Therapeutics has pioneered Abuse-Deterrent Formulations (ADFs) to help in the fight against prescription drug abuse. ADFs attempt to raise the bar on prescription drug abuse by making it more difficult, longer or aversive to tamper with long-acting opioid formulations, recognizing that no drug can be made abuse-proof.
About Pain Therapeutics, Inc.
We develop proprietary drugs that offer significant improvements to patients and physicians. Our expertise consists of developing new drugs and guiding these through various regulatory and development pathways in preparation for their eventual commercialization. We generally focus our drug development efforts around disorders of the nervous system. The FDA has not yet established the safety or efficacy of our drug candidates.
Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements: This press release contains forward-looking statements for purposes of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (the "Act"). Pain Therapeutics disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements, and claims the protection of the Safe Harbor for forward-looking statements contained in the Act. Examples of such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the abuse deterrent properties of REMOXY ER; the timing of the regulatory review by the FDA of the REMOXY NDA; and the potential approval by the FDA of REMOXY ER. Such statements are based on management's current expectations, but actual results may differ materially due to various factors. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties relating to development and testing of our drug candidates; unexpected adverse side effects or inadequate therapeutic efficacy of our drug candidates; the uncertainty of patent protection for our intellectual property or trade secrets; unanticipated additional research and development, litigation and other costs; and the potential for abuse-deterrent pain medications or other competing products to be developed by competitors and potential competitors or others. For further information regarding these and other risks related to our business, investors should consult our filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Source: Pain Therapeutics, Inc.
Posted: March 2018
- Pain Therapeutics Announces Feedback from Recent Meeting With FDA on Remoxy - February 5, 2019
- Complete Response Letter Issued for Remoxy - August 6, 2018
- Pain Therapeutics Announces Results of FDA Advisory Committee Meeting for Remoxy ER - June 26, 2018
- Pain Therapeutics Resubmits New Drug Application for Remoxy ER, an Abuse-Deterrent, Extended-Release Drug Candidate for the Treatment of Chronic Pain - February 13, 2018
- Pain Therapeutics Receives Complete Response Letter for Remoxy ER - September 26, 2016
- FDA Accepts Remoxy NDA for Review - April 12, 2016
- Pain Therapeutics Resubmits Remoxy New Drug Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration - March 29, 2016
- Pfizer to Discontinue Agreement on Remoxy (oxycodone) Extended-Release Capsules CII - October 27, 2014
- FDA Complete Response Letter Received for Remoxy - June 24, 2011
- Remoxy New Drug Application Accepted by the FDA with PDUFA Goal Date of June 23, 2011 - January 27, 2011
- King Pharmaceuticals and Pain Therapeutics Announce Resubmission of New Drug Application for Remoxy - December 27, 2010
- Pain Therapeutics Receives Complete Response Letter From FDA for Remoxy - December 11, 2008
- Pain Therapeutics and King Pharmaceuticals Announce Submission of New Drug Application for Remoxy - June 10, 2008
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.