EnteregTreatment for Postoperative Ileus
Update: Entereg Now FDA Approved - May 20, 2008
Adolor Completes Submission of NDA for Entereg
EXTON, Pa., and PHILADELPHIA, June 28, 2004 -- Adolor Corporation (NASDAQ:ADLR) and GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE:GSK) announced today that Adolor has submitted the complete New Drug Application (NDA) to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Entereg (alvimopan) capsules. Adolor is seeking marketing approval of Entereg for the management of postoperative ileus (POI) by accelerating time to recovery of gastrointestinal (G.I.) function following abdominal or pelvic surgeries. POI is a temporary impairment of G.I. function which can occur following many types of surgery. GlaxoSmithKline and Adolor are collaborating on the worldwide development and commercialization of Entereg.
"One of our key targets for 2004 was to submit this application in the first half of this year. The completion of the entire NDA submission for Entereg represents a significant milestone achievement for Adolor," stated David Jackson, M.D., senior vice president, research and development of Adolor Corporation. "We look forward to working with the FDA during the review of the application."
The FDA granted Fast Track designation to Entereg in February 2004 for use in the management of POI, indicating that POI is a serious medical condition and that there are no drugs currently approved for this condition. Adolor is participating in the FDA's Continuous Marketing Application Pilot 1 Program. This is an FDA program available to drug candidates that have received Fast Track designation and allows for completed portions of an NDA to be submitted on an ongoing basis. Adolor previously submitted NDA Item 5, nonclinical pharmacology and toxicology, and NDA Item 4, chemistry, manufacturing and controls, to the FDA. Adolor now has submitted the complete NDA, which includes Phase 3 clinical data evaluating more than 2,000 patients in three efficacy studies and one safety study.
"We are pleased to collaborate with Adolor on the worldwide development of Entereg for POI," said Kevin Lokay, vice president of Oncology and Acute Care at GlaxoSmithKline. "The NDA submission is an important advancement in our joint commitment to research and develop this therapy to help accelerate the recovery of surgical patients."
Entereg is the first of a new class of drugs known as peripherally-acting mu opioid receptor antagonists that has been submitted to the FDA for NDA review.
About Postoperative Ileus (POI)
Many patients undergoing abdominal surgery experience temporary gastrointestinal impairment. This condition, known as postoperative ileus, may be exacerbated and prolonged by multiple factors including the use of opioid analgesics for pain relief. POI is characterized by abdominal distension and pain, nausea and vomiting, reduced desire to eat, and an inability to pass gas or stool. POI is a major contributor to prolonged hospital stays. Consequently, POI represents a substantial burden on healthcare resources.
Despite the negative impact, there have been few advances in the treatment of POI since the introduction of nasogastric decompression over 100 years ago, which has limited effectiveness and is uncomfortable for patients. Currently, there are no drugs approved for the management of POI.
Adolor Corporation and GlaxoSmithKline are collaborating on the worldwide development and commercialization of Entereg for POI, opioid-induced bowel dysfunction (OBD) associated with extended use of opioids to manage cancer pain or chronic non-cancer pain, chronic constipation not associated with opioid use, and irritable bowel syndrome (constipation predominant).
About Adolor Corporation
Adolor Corporation (NASDAQ:ADLR) is a biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development and commercialization of novel prescription pain management products. Entereg (alvimopan) is Adolor's lead product candidate. Adolor Corporation also has a number of discovery research programs focused on the identification of novel compounds for the treatment of pain. Adolor is developing a sterile lidocaine patch which is in Phase 2 clinical development for post-incisional pain. By applying its knowledge and expertise in pain management, along with ingenuity, Adolor Corporation is seeking to make a positive difference for patients, caregivers and the medical community.
For more information, please visit www.adolor.com.
GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE:GSK) is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. GlaxoSmithKline is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling patients to do more, feel better and live longer.
For more information, please visit www.gsk.com.
Posted: June 2004
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Approval of Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus (POI) - May 21, 2008
- Adolor Provides Regulatory Update on Entereg (alvimopan) - May 9, 2008
- FDA Extends Review of NDA for Entereg (alvimopan) - February 11, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Report Favorable FDA Advisory Committee Meeting for Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus in Bowel Resection - January 24, 2008
- Adolor Announces Availability of Briefing Documents For January 23rd FDA Advisory Committee Meeting on Entereg (alvimopan) - January 18, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Advisory Committee to Review Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus (POI) - November 28, 2007
- FDA Accepts for Review Complete Response to Approvable Letter for Entereg (alvimopan) for POI - August 28, 2007
- GSK and Adolor Update Alvimopan (Entereg/Entrareg) Development Program - June 11, 2007
- FDA Issues Approvable Letter for Entereg (alvimopan) for POI - November 6, 2006
- Adolor’s Complete Response to Approvable Letter Accepted for Review by FDA - May 31, 2006
- Adolor Receives FDA Approvable Letter for Entereg - July 22, 2005
- Adolor Announces FDA Update - January 10, 2005
- FDA Accepts Entereg for Review - September 8, 2004
- Adolor Submits Second Portion of NDA for Entereg - June 1, 2004
- Adolor Submits First Portion of NDA for Entereg - May 7, 2004