EnteregTreatment for Postoperative Ileus
Update: Entereg Now FDA Approved - May 20, 2008
FDA Extends Review of NDA for Entereg (alvimopan)
EXTON, Pa. & PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb 8, 2008 - Adolor Corporation and GlaxoSmithKline today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has informed Adolor that the Prescription Drug User Fee Act action date for the New Drug Application (NDA) for Entereg (alvimopan) has been extended to May 10, 2008. Adolor also today announced the submission to the FDA of a revised Risk Management Program for Entereg.
The NDA for Entereg 12 mg capsules is for in-hospital, short-term use for the management of postoperative ileus (POI). Specifically, the proposed indication is for the acceleration of upper and lower gastrointestinal recovery following partial large or small bowel resection surgery with primary anastomosis. There are no other FDA approved drugs for this indication.
"Earlier this week, we submitted to the FDA a revised risk management program for Entereg," said Michael R. Dougherty, president and chief executive officer of Adolor Corporation. "We believe the program provides appropriate measures to ensure that Entereg is used in patients for whom it has demonstrated a favorable benefit:risk profile. We look forward to working with the FDA as it completes its review of our NDA."
About Adolor Corporation
Adolor Corporation (Nasdaq:ADLR) is a biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development and commercialization of novel prescription pain management products. Adolor has two lead product candidates in development: Entereg (alvimopan) for the management of the gastrointestinal side effects associated with opioid use; and novel Delta opioid receptor agonists for a variety of pain indications. Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline are collaborating in the worldwide development and commercialization of Entereg in multiple indications. Adolor and Pfizer are collaborating in the worldwide development and commercialization of two Delta agonists for pain. Adolor also has a number of discovery research programs focused on the identification of novel compounds for the treatment of pain. By applying its knowledge and expertise in pain management, along with ingenuity, Adolor is seeking to make a positive difference for patients, caregivers and the medical community.
GlaxoSmithKline is one of the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For more information, visit GlaxoSmithKline on the World Wide Web at www.gsk.com.
Adolor Forward-Looking Statements
This release, and oral statements made with respect to information contained in this release, may constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements include those which express plan, anticipation, intent, contingency, goals, targets or future development and/or otherwise are not statements of historical fact. These statements are based upon management's current expectations and are subject to risks and uncertainties, known and unknown, which could cause actual results and developments to differ materially from those expressed or implied in such statements. Such known risks and uncertainties relate to, among other factors: the risk that Adolor may not receive regulatory approval of Entereg (alvimopan) for POI, OBD, or any other indication; the risk that the PDUFA date extended to May 10, 2008 is further extended or not met; the risk that a risk management plan acceptable to the FDA could materially adversely affect the commercial prospects for Entereg, if regulatory approval is achieved; the risk that Adolor may not be able to adequately address the deficiencies in the November 2006 FDA approvable letter; the risk that Adolor may not obtain FDA approval for Entereg in POI, Adolor's inability to provide additional data satisfactory to the FDA to obtain approval for the NDA, the adequacy of the safety and efficacy data from all of the Entereg studies, changing regulatory requirements, the risk that the FDA may not agree with Adolor's and GSK's analyses of the Entereg studies (including Study 014) and may evaluate the results of these studies by different methods or conclude that the results from the studies, whether or not statistically significant, do not support safety, efficacy, a favorable risk/benefit profile, or there were human errors in the conduct of the studies, or otherwise; adverse safety findings in any Entereg studies; the risk that the alvimopan Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs) remain on clinical hold indefinitely; the risk that filing targets for regulatory submissions or user fee goal dates are not met; the risk that the results of other clinical trials of Adolor's drug product candidates, including Entereg, are not positive; the risk of product liability claims; reliance on third party manufacturers; the costs, delays and uncertainties inherent in scientific research, drug development, clinical trials and the regulatory approval process; Adolor's history of operating losses since inception and its need for additional funds to operate its business; Adolor's reliance on its collaborators, including GSK, in connection with the development and commercialization of Entereg; market acceptance of Adolor's products, if regulatory approval is achieved; competition; and securities litigation.
Posted: February 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Approval of Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus (POI) - May 21, 2008
- Adolor Provides Regulatory Update on Entereg (alvimopan) - May 9, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Report Favorable FDA Advisory CommitteeMeeting for Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of PostoperativeIleus in Bowel Resection - January 24, 2008
- Adolor Announces Availability of Briefing Documents For January23rd FDA Advisory Committee Meeting on Entereg (alvimopan) - January 18, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Advisory Committee toReview Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of PostoperativeIleus (POI) - November 28, 2007
- FDA Accepts for Review Complete Response to Approvable Letter forEntereg (alvimopan) for POI - August 28, 2007
- GSK and Adolor Update Alvimopan (Entereg/Entrareg) DevelopmentProgram - June 11, 2007
- FDA Issues Approvable Letter for Entereg (alvimopan) for POI - November 6, 2006
- Adolor’s Complete Response to Approvable Letter Accepted for Review by FDA - May 31, 2006
- Adolor Receives FDA Approvable Letter for Entereg - July 22, 2005
- Adolor Announces FDA Update - January 10, 2005
- FDA Accepts Entereg for Review - September 8, 2004
- Adolor Completes Submission of NDA for Entereg - June 28, 2004
- Adolor Submits Second Portion of NDA for Entereg - June 1, 2004
- Adolor Submits First Portion of NDA for Entereg - May 7, 2004