What is Carb-O-Sal5?
Salicylic acid is a keratolytic (peeling agent). Salicylic acid causes shedding of the outer layer of skin.
Urea is an emollient (skin softening agent). Urea helps to moisturize the skin.
Carb-O-Sal5 may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Do not use Carb-O-Sal5 on a child younger than 2 years old. This medication should not be used on a child or teenager who has a fever, especially if the child also has flu symptoms or chicken pox. Salicylates can cause a serious and sometimes fatal condition called Reye's syndrome in children.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to salicylic acid or urea.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have:
kidney disease; or
It is not known whether Carb-O-Sal5 will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without medical advice if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether Carb-O-Sal5 passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without medical advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
This medication should not be used on a child or teenager who has a fever, especially if the child also has flu symptoms or chicken pox. Salicylates can cause a serious and sometimes fatal condition called Reye's syndrome in children.
Do not use Carb-O-Sal5 on a child younger than 2 years old.
How should I use Carb-O-Sal5?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not use Carb-O-Sal5 to treat any skin condition that has not been checked by your doctor.
Gently clean and dry the affected area before applying the medication.
Shake the foam well just before each use. Turn the medicine canister upside down to dispense the foam.
Apply the medication to the affected area as directed. Do not use Carb-O-Sal5 on skin that is red, swollen, infected, or oozing.
This medication can cause unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Carb-O-Sal5.
Use Carb-O-Sal5 regularly to get the most benefit. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using this medicine.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Keep the foam canister away from open flame or high heat, such as in a car on a hot day. The canister may explode if it gets too hot. Do not puncture or burn an empty canister.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
Overdose can occur with long-term use or high doses if this medicine is absorbed through the skin. Symptoms of a salicylic acid overdose may include severe dizziness or weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, confusion, ringing in your ears, or hearing loss.
What should I avoid while using Carb-O-Sal5?
Wart remover medicine may be flammable. Do not use near high heat or open flame such as a burning candle. Wash the medicine off your hands before handling a hair styling appliance (such as a curling or straightening iron). High heat could cause the medicine to ignite and burn your skin.
Do not smoke until the gel has completely dried on your skin.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina. If this does happen, rinse with water.
Avoid using other medications on the areas you treat with Carb-O-Sal5 unless your doctor tells you to.
Carb-O-Sal5 side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Carb-O-Sal5 and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as redness or severe skin irritation after applying the medication.
Less serious side effects may include mild burning, itching, or irritation of treated skin.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Carb-O-Sal5?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied salicylic acid and urea. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Carb-O-Sal5 (salicylic acid / urea topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical emollients
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Carb-O-Sal5.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.03.
Date modified: March 06, 2018
Last reviewed: July 09, 2015