Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 5, 2018.
What is it?
Povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone, PVP) is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a synthetic polymer vehicle for dispersing and suspending drugs. It has multiple uses, including as a binder for tablets and capsules, a film former for ophthalmic solutions, to aid in flavoring liquids and chewable tablets, and as an adhesive for transdermal systems.
Povidone has the molecular formula of (C6H9NO)n and appears as a white to slightly off-white powder. Povidone formulations are widely used in the pharmaceutical industry due to their ability to dissolve in both water and oil solvents. The k number refers to the mean molecular weight of the povidone. Povidones with higher K-values (i.e., k90) are not usually given by injection due to their high molecular weights. The higher molecular weights prevent excretion by the kidneys and lead to accumulation in the body. The best-known example of povidone formulations is povidone-iodine, an important disinfectant.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 Folttman H, Quadir A. Excipent Update. Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) - one of the mosy widely used excipients in pharmaceuricals: an overview. Drug Delivery Technology. Vol 8;6:22-7. Accessed April 9, 2012. http://www.pharma-ingredients.basf.com/Documents/ENP/Review%20Articles/DDT-June-2008.pdf
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Angeliq drospirenone 0.25 mg / estradiol 0.5 mg
- Aubra ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / levonorgestrel 0.1 mg
- Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol drospirenone 3 mg / ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg
- Ethinyl Estradiol and Ethynodiol Diacetate ethinyl estradiol 50 mcg / ethynodiol diacetate 1 mg
- Ethinyl Estradiol and Norethindrone Acetate ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / norethindrone acetate 1 mg
- Etodolac 200 mg
- Fenofibrate (Micronized) 67 mg
- Glimepiride 4 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Telmisartan 25 mg / 80 mg
- Levlite inert
- Lofibra 67 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride and Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 500 mg / 15 mg (base)
- Metformin Hydrochloride and Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 850 mg / 15 mg
- Natazia estradiol valerate 3 mg
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed Release 20 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 100 mg
- Spironolactone 100 mg
- Sutent 37.5 mg
- Yasmin inert