Hivid (zalcitabine) and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with Hivid (zalcitabine) which include:
zalcitabine ↔ food
Minor Food Interaction
Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.
For clinical details see professional interaction data.
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipoproteinemia, Hypertriglyceridemia, Sitosterolemia)
Severe Potential Hazard, Low plausibility
NRTIs - pancreatitis
The reverse transcriptase inhibitors, didanosine (ddI), zalcitabine (ddC), stavudine (d4T) and lamivudine (3TC), may cause pancreatitis. The incidence is generally low but is approximately 7% with ddI, and up to 15% in pediatric patients given 3TC. Patients with a history of or known risk factors for pancreatitis, such as alcohol abuse or hypertriglyceridemia, should be monitored closely during therapy with these agents. Therapy should be discontinued at the first signs or symptoms suggestive of pancreatitis (e.g., nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, hyperamylasemia with dysglycemia, rising triglycerides, decreasing serum calcium), and preferably permanently discontinued if clinical pancreatitis develops.
- "Product Information. Zerit (stavudine)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
- van Leeuwen R, Katlama C, Kitchen V, Boucher CA, Tubiana R, McBride M, Ingrand D, Weber J, Hill A, McDade H, et al "Evaluation of safety and efficacy of 3TC (lamivudine) in patients with asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus infection: a phase I/II study." J Infect Dis 171 (1995): 1166-71
- Dolin R, Lambert JS, Morse GD, et al "2',3'-dideoxyinosine in patients with AIDS or AIDS-related complex." Rev Infect Dis 12 (1990): s540-51
- van Leeuwen R, Lange JM, Hussey EK, Donn KH, Hall ST, Harker AJ, Jonker P, Danner SA "The safety and pharmacokinetics of a reverse transcriptase inhibitor, 3TC, in patients with HIV infection: a phase I study." AIDS 6 (1992): 1471-5
- Yarchoan R, Mitsuya H, Pluda JM, et al "The National Cancer Institute phase I study of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine administration in adults with AIDS-related complex: analysis of activity and toxicity profiles." Rev Infect Dis 12 (1990): s522-33
- Matthews SJ, Cersosimo RJ, Spivack ML "Zidovudine and other reverse transcriptase inhibitors in the management of human immunodeficiency virus-related disease." Pharmacotherapy 11 (1991): 419-49
- Shelton MJ, O'Donnell AM, Morse GD "Didanosine." Ann Pharmacother 26 (1992): 660-70
- Pike IM, Nicaise C "The didanosine Expanded Access Program: safety analysis." Clin Infect Dis 16 (1993): S63-8
- "Product Information. Videx (didanosine)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
- Moore RD, Fortgang I, Keruly J, Chaisson RE "Adverse events from drug therapy for human immunodeficiency virus disease." Am J Med 101 (1996): 34-40
- "Product Information. Epivir (lamivudine)." Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- "Product Information. HIVID (zalcitabine)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- Whittington R, Brogden RN "Zalcitabine: a review of its pharmacology and clinical potential in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)." Drugs 44 (1992): 656-83
- Schindzielorz A, Pike I, Daniels M, Pacelli L, Smaldone L "Rates and risk factors for adverse events associated with didanosine in the expanded access program." Clin Infect Dis 19 (1994): 1076-83
- Grasela TH, Walawander CA, Beltangady M, Knupp CA, Martin RR, Dunkle LM, Barbhaiya RH, Pittman KA, Dolin R, Valentine FT, "Analysis of potential risk factors associated with the development of pancreatitis in phase i patients with AIDS or AIDS-related complex receiving didanosine." J Infect Dis 169 (1994): 1250-5
- Maxson CJ, Greenfield SM, Turner JL "Acute pancreatitis as a common complication of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine therapy in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome." Am J Gastroenterol 87 (1992): 708-13
- Bouvet E, Casalino E, Prevost MH, Vachon F "Fatal case of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine-associated pancreatitis." Lancet 336 (1990): 1515
- Montaner JSG, Rachlis A, Beaulieu R, Gill J, Schlech W, Phillips P, Auclair C, Boulerice F, Schindzielorz A, Smaldone L, Wainber "Safety profile of didanosine among patients with advanced HIV disease who are intolerant to or deteriorate despite zidovudine therapy: results of the canadian open ddi treatment program." J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 7 (1994): 924-30
Hivid (zalcitabine) drug Interactions
There are 180 drug interactions with Hivid (zalcitabine)
Hivid (zalcitabine) disease Interactions
There are 6 disease interactions with Hivid (zalcitabine) which include:
- Bone Marrow Suppression
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Renal Dysfunction
More about Hivid (zalcitabine)
- Hivid Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.