Generic name: saquinavir mesylate 200mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated; capsules
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
INVIRASE must be used in combination with ritonavir because ritonavir significantly inhibits saquinavir's metabolism to provide increased plasma saquinavir levels.
Cobicistat is not interchangeable with ritonavir to increase systemic exposure of saquinavir [see Warnings and Precautions (5)].
- The standard recommended dose of INVIRASE is 1000-mg twice daily (5 × 200-mg capsules or 2 × 500-mg tablets) in combination with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily.
- For treatment-naïve patients initiating treatment with INVIRASE/ritonavir, the recommended starting dose of INVIRASE is 500-mg twice daily with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily for the first 7 days of treatment. After 7 days, the recommended dose of INVIRASE is 1000-mg twice daily with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.2)].
- Patients switching immediately (no washout period) from treatment with another ritonavir containing regimen or from a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor based regimen (not including delavirdine, rilpivirine) should initiate and continue INVIRASE at the standard recommended dose of 1000-mg twice daily with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily. For patients switching from a regimen containing delavirdine or rilpivirine, the recommended dose is 500-mg twice daily with ritonavir 100-mg twice daily for the first 7 days of treatment [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3) and Drug Interactions (7.3)].
- Ritonavir should be taken at the same time as INVIRASE.
- INVIRASE and ritonavir should be taken within 2 hours after a meal.
- For patients already taking ritonavir 100-mg twice daily as part of their antiretroviral regimen, no additional ritonavir is needed.
- Pediatric dose recommendations that are both reliably effective and below thresholds of concern for QT and PR interval prolongation could not be determined.
Administration for Patients Unable to Swallow Capsules
Open the INVIRASE capsules and place the contents into an empty container. Add 15 mL of either sugar syrup or sorbitol syrup (for patients with Type 1 diabetes or glucose intolerance) OR 3 teaspoons of jam to the contents of INVIRASE capsules that are in the container. Stir with a spoon for 30 to 60 seconds. Administer the full amount prepared for each dose. Suspensions should be at room temperature before administering.
More about Invirase (saquinavir)
- Other brands: Fortovase