Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 1, 2021.
Generic name: ferumoxides
Dosage form: injection
The recommended dosage of Feridex I.V. is 0.56 milligrams of iron (0.05 mL Feridex I.V.) per kilogram of body weight, that is diluted in 100 mL of 5% dextrose solution and given over 30 minutes. (SeeDrug Preparation Section). The diluted drug is administered through a 5 micron filter at a rate of 2 to 4 milliliters per minute.
Feridex I.V. should not be administered undiluted.
- The vial should be used at room temperature. Mix by inverting the vial 10 to 20 times.
- Draw up the appropriate dose of Feridex I.V. into a sterile syringe.
- Dilute Feridex I.V. by injecting it into 100 mL of 5% dextrose solution (D5W).
- The bag should be inverted two or three times to assure dilution.
- The drug product should be administered within 8 hours following dilution.
More about Feridex (ferumoxides)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.