Generic name: ferumoxides
Dosage form: injection
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosage of Feridex I.V. is 0.56 milligrams of iron (0.05 mL Feridex I.V.) per kilogram of body weight, that is diluted in 100 mL of 5% dextrose solution and given over 30 minutes. (SeeDrug Preparation Section). The diluted drug is administered through a 5 micron filter at a rate of 2 to 4 milliliters per minute.
Feridex I.V. should not be administered undiluted.
- The vial should be used at room temperature. Mix by inverting the vial 10 to 20 times.
- Draw up the appropriate dose of Feridex I.V. into a sterile syringe.
- Dilute Feridex I.V. by injecting it into 100 mL of 5% dextrose solution (D5W).
- The bag should be inverted two or three times to assure dilution.
- The drug product should be administered within 8 hours following dilution.