Praziquantel Disease Interactions
There are 4 disease interactions with praziquantel:
Praziquantel (applies to praziquantel) cysticercosis
Major Potential Hazard, High plausibility.
Since parasite destruction within the eye can cause irreparable lesions, ocular cysticercosis should not be treated with praziquantel.
- Bada JL, Trevino B, Cabezos J "Convulsive seizures after treatment with praziquantel." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 296 (1988): 646
- Markwalder K, Hess K, Valavanis A, Witassek F "Cerebral cysticercosis: treatment with praziquantel. Report of two cases." Am J Trop Med Hyg 33 (1984): 273-80
- "Product Information. Biltricide (praziquantel)." Bayer, West Haven, CT.
- Leblanc R, Knowles KF, Melanson D, MacLean JD, Rouleau G, Farmer JP "Neurocysticercosis: surgical and medical management with praziquantel." Neurosurgery 18 (1986): 419-27
- Flisser A, Madrazo I, Plancarte A, Schantz P, Allan J, Craig P, Sarti E "Neurological symptoms in occult neurocysticercosis after single taeniacidal dose of praziquantel." Lancet 342 (1993): 748
Praziquantel (applies to praziquantel) epilepsy
Major Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applicable conditions: Seizures
Praziquantel can exacerbate central nervous system pathology due to schistosomiasis. As a general rule this drug should not be administered in individuals with a history of epilepsy or seizures and any other signs of potential central nervous system involvement such as subcutaneous nodules suggestive of cysticercosis.
Praziquantel (applies to praziquantel) arrhythmias
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility.
Patients suffering from cardiac irregularities such as arrhythmias should be monitored during treatment with praziquantel.
Praziquantel (applies to praziquantel) liver impairment
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applicable conditions: Liver Disease
Caution should be exercised when administering praziquantel at the usual recommended doses in patients with moderate to severe liver impairment (Child Pugh class B and C). Reduced metabolism of praziquantel may lead to considerably higher and longer lasting plasma concentrations of the unmetabolized drug.
Praziquantel drug interactions
There are 81 drug interactions with praziquantel
Praziquantel alcohol/food interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with praziquantel
More about praziquantel
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: anthelmintics
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|