User Reviews for Eflornithine topical to treat Hirsutism

Also known as: Vaniqa

Eflornithine topical has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 96 ratings for the treatment of Hirsutism. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Eflornithine topical Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Hirsutism.

Reviews for Eflornithine topical

Furbie July 12, 2021

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I had to share my experience as this has changed my life. If you’re reading this you will feel like I feel about your facial hair. Since the birth of my first child I’ve developed black thick coarse wiry hair under the chin to my neck and my chin especially both sides, the older I’m getting (43) the worse it’s getting I used to wax but I then had to pluck every morning before work when I came home and before I went to bed. For some reason this hair grew like the clappers and I just had terrible moods and lack of confidence due to this. I’ve actually loved wearing a face mask due to the pandemic as it hides my facial hair but knowing we’re coming away from this I finally did something about it. I paid £68 and saw a difference in one week!! The hair slowed down so much I couldn’t believe it. I’m in week 3 now and I’m still in the habit of getting a mirror and plucking but some days there’s nothing to pluck! I’d say I’m already 50% down on hair regrowth. M”

Joyce · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I had used vaniqua for 5 years and it worked beautiful. No shaving anymore . Then it went off the market for some time and came back . I ordered it again and it appears it doesn't work like the old fomulation. I have used it for 4 months now and no results. I am so heartbroken because it was the only treatment that worked for me in the past. Please if anyone has something that is working for them .. please leave a message on here. I will really appreciate it ”

delle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2020

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “My chin hair was getting worse and worse. I used to wax once every 2 weeks and suddenly I was waxing twice a week and tweezing every day in between. I've had a lot of success with Vaniqa. So far I've used it for 5 weeks, I use it twice a day right after washing my face and drying it, then I apply the cream and rub it in well and leave it for 5 to ten minutes before applying any other products on top. I've seen a huge improvement, my hair is so thin and fine now and barely grows. The hair that does grow is removed extremely easily vs my previous stubborn hairs. I'm so grateful for this product, it is expensive but one tube could easily last 3 months.”

Kay m January 8, 2020

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Today makes exactly one month for me on Vaniqa. I read a lot of reviews, so promised myself I would come back and write one. Long story short, it DOES make a difference. I didn't notice results in days, like a saw a few people say, took a good 3 weeks. But I went from shaving my face (upper lip, sides of face, chin and parts of neck) DAILY, to being able to go 3, maybe 4 days without shaving. Although I can FEEL some hair when I go this long, the hair is never long enough to be visible. It has cut down on the razor burn on my neck tremendously. It is definitely pricey - $130 for one bottle, but I have enough for one more month, if not 1.5/2 more months left in there. So that makes it a little more manageable to afford, no way could I do $130 every month. I had a bit of mild stinging the first 2/3 weeks, but nothing unbearable and it went away. My hair is black and coarse and it worked for me! I was skeptical but glad I tried it. Plan to come back in another month and update.”

Bobbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Pharmacist told me the original brand Vaniqa cream was on back order and cost over $200. I found out there the generic vaniqa called eflornithine was available and got that instead for about $35. Works perfectly!!! Easy transaction. Goodbye Vaniqua you have a replacement!! Big Pharma should be ashamed to rip off individuals looking for a solution to an embarrassing condition.”

Anonymous April 19, 2009

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have had hair problems all my life using many different hair removal techniques. None gave a real good outcome and I still didn't like being out in the sun wondering if people were staring at all the facial hair. I apply at night and in the morning. I tried doing once a day, but started getting some hair growth. I now have absolutely not one hair on my face. I have been using for about a year. TIP: Use a damp washcloth on face first so cream will spread more easily and will give more applications per tube.”

Tee · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Okay so I've been using this cream for about maybe 2 weeks tops. I was a little worried that I would spend $178 for this cream and it wouldn't work. But I was desperate at this point. I sucked it up and paid for it. I usually shave morning and night before this cream. I usually shave before work and by the end of my shift (8 HOURS) the hair would grow back. This cream is A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have to shave ONCE A DAY and the hair on my face is not thick like before. Its only been 2 weeks. Can't wait to see what the process is by the end of the month. I was getting really depressed over this hair growth but this stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have been using Vaniqa for just over 4 weeks now. I was plucking my upper lip/chin/neck every single day. This was causing my skin in these areas to be red, irritated, and PIH on my upper lip. As you can imagine, my self esteem was affected negatively. In the 4 weeks, I can see a major difference in not only the frequency of having to remove hair, but the hair itself. The hair comes in finer, lighter, and easier to remove. I now pluck once every 1-2 weeks. I use it with Meladerm on my upper lip for the hyperpigmentation. I have not noticed any scalp hair loss - the only side effect I have experienced is small, acne in the area where I apply it, but that was only in the beginning. It works, you just have to be patient! The only reason I give it 8 stars is because of the price. It's not covered with my insurance. It's a shame that this company charges so much for a medicine that helps women seeking an answer for a very embarrassing condition when they are the only company to make it.”

Curley · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2019

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I’ve been using since the product first came on the market. Almost 20 years I believe. Luckily it worked for me. I rarely pluck my chin, maybe a hair or two a week. Used to take an hour a day. Saved so much embarrassment. I don’t need makeup. Derm is now trying to convince me to do laser before my hair turns white and it won’t work. I really don’t want to stop using and have to shave which I never did. Vaniqa got expensive, so I’ve been ordering from India online for 2 years now. It’s under the generic name. I was afraid at first, but I pay by e-check and have had no issues. I get 3 tubes, maybe 1.5 each for $70. I probably order 3 times per year for $210 total, shipping free over a certain amount. Not bad at all. And it works exactly the same. No increase in growth with the change!”

lmc1967 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2014

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I'm writing a second review on Vaniqa. I started using this in February this year. Twice a day although some days/times I do forget. I just want to say how delighted I am to have found this. It has totally and completely changed my life! I had terrible male pattern hair growth all over my cheeks, chin, upper and lower lip and starting to grow down my neck. I used to pluck for up to 2 hrs a time every 3rd day but was never hair free. I wouldn't kiss anyone hello or goodbye as even plucked the stubble could be felt under my skin. 3 months on im not scared of being caught in bright sunlight I pluck around once a fortnight and it takes around 10 mins. The hairs that are coming through are soft and downy. My life is transformed.”

SSRS July 24, 2016

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have had problems with facial hair since my mid-20's. I am now 54.This medication has been LIFE-CHANGING. Have tried electrolysis and laser. Both work, but only for a limited time as the professionals who do this have told me that NEW hair follicles darken and cause problems, even though the hair follicles they have treated are dead. I have plucked "forever" causing hairs to get courser, causing nearly constant break-outs on my chin from in-grown hairs. Bottom line: It took about 4 weeks to notice a big difference. I use on chin and upper lip. Changed the amount and texture of hair. Excellent product! I no longer obsess about my facial hair.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2016

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Miracle cream. have suffered with excessive facial hair since I was 13, I'm now 58. It started working almost immediately, In less than 2 months I am completely free from facial hair, and I am no longer afraid to let people hug me for fear of scratching them. Wish it would have been available years ago, it would have saved me a lot of grief...”

1237 March 30, 2016

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have suffered with corse chin and upper lip hair for such a long time causing me to feel embarrassed and just not good about myself. I would pluck on a daily basis making my skin blotchy and sore. I took the plunge after months of research on Vaniqa and bought the cream. I been using twice a day for 6 weeks now and I'm thrilled with the results. Smooth skin hardly and hairs. So pleased. Ladies don't suffer like I did get this product. It's the best ever”

desert_rat September 20, 2009

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Loving Vaniqa so far! Some details on my facial hair situation. I don't have PCOS, yet have severe facial hair issues (full beard if I let it go, especially around chin and on neck). Spent thousands of dollars on laser hair removal, and as soon as I stopped getting the laser treatments, the hair all came back, worse than before. Using Nair or Veet only worked for the soft hair on my cheeks, irritated my skin horribly, and didn't do ANYTHING for the prickly chin and neck hair. I've never been brave enough to shave (except my mustache area), for fear of even worse beard-effect. Waxing didn't touch the problem. Vaniqa, after about 4 weeks of faithful twice a day use, has significantly slowed the growth. Now pluck a few minutes a day only!”

FlGrl · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2014

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Life changing. Amazing. I was doubtful having tried laser two separate times. I've been using this for about 2 months and it has reduced the facial hair growth so much I am shocked. I just got my second tube. It's expensive, and my insurance would not pay for any of it, but its worth it.”

Hairnomorre · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2016

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Been suffering hirsutism since I was 17, course, dark hairs on my neck, chin, and up the sides of my face, its got worse as the years have went on I'm now 25 and couldn't cope any longer, I kept this to myself and it drained the life out of me, I didn't go out, I suffered depression I had to shave twice a day depending on what I had to do on that day, if I wasn't at work I wouldn't shave and stayed at home because shaving every day was ruining my face with so many rashes, i finally got the courage to visit my gp and she prescribed me this, I've been using this cream for 4 weeks and I'm already seeing an improvement, don't suffer ladies, get vaniqa!!”

Cherry pie July 9, 2021

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I am 44 & pale skinned. I’ve been a slave to my facial hair for well over 25 years. Shaving, plucking, hair removers (that never work). My hair has caused me depression, embarrassment & paranoia. I never wear my hair up, as my hair is my facial curtain. I’m constantly fixing my hair to cover my jaw line, cheeks and neck. I stumbled across this cream by accident and have been using it religiously for 7 weeks now. I almost gave up at 6 weeks because I didn’t notice any difference. I was still plucking for hours and shaving daily. When I wake up in the morning my stubble would be there thick, strong, dark and very noticeable. A few days ago I noticed my face actually felt a bit smoother. Today is day 3 since I last shaved, and only now am I beginning to feel a few hairs coming through. My face looks smoother with no dark patches from shaving daily. There’s no way I could ever of gone 1 day without shaving and plucking (for hours at night). Loving life right now.”

Anonymous January 9, 2015

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I've suffered all my adult life with facial hair and had tried all other methods of hair removal but no good. I'd been plucking 2-3 times a day a tweezer literally in every room and handbag. About 4 weeks ago went on line and read about this cream and decided to give it a go and it has changed my life in 3 weeks the hair though still there is finer and slower growth now only plucking every few days, I know its early days but felt had to share my experience.”

FortLauderdale May 28, 2008

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Works great for me. Only apply once per day because it is expensive and not covered by insurance. I am very light skined with light hair, but a few patches of ugly dark facial hair - chin, neck, etc. Need to pluck a few every now and then, but for the most part a huge difference. Maybe my imagination, but also notice my skin is tighter. I'll like it.”

lmc9977661lmc · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2014

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have always had facial hair but after my menopause started prematurely the hair growth became very much like a man's. I would pluck at least 2 times a week and each session would last 2 hrs. I started using Vaniqa 2 weeks ago. I plucked whole face the same day and 2 weeks later I have only just had a few small areas that have needed plucking today which is the first time and even those hairs are fairly soft and finer. I love Vaniqa and feel like its changed my life!”

G.E. July 14, 2016

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I am 86 years old and have been using Vaniqa for one year with excellent results and no bad side effects. Prior to this, I had electrolysis treatments every 2 - 3 weeks for over two years with no end in sight. My excess hair problem is on the upper lip and chin area and though my electrolysist was well certified, the problem persisted (although treatments in my early 30's had been successful). I strongly encourage anyone considering this product to give it a try - it has changed/improved my life beyond measure.”

Emmy22 June 16, 2014

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I have hirsutism due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. So I started using this product 5 days ago and oh my! I don't want to tempt fate but wow, it's working already. Over the past couple of days I've seen the biggest improvement. The stubble that's growing through isn't coming in nearly as quickly and when I shave you can barely see the little black hairs under the skin. I would normally have to shave at the very least, once a day and again if I was going out in the evening. Evening comes and my razor is still attached to my bathroom wall. I will say that I am using slightly above the recommended dosage. Sometimes three times daily, rather than two and a slightly thicker than thin coat. I live in the UK where a 60g tube on prescription is only ”

boring617 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 1, 2021

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Wanted to share a tip for other sufferers. I'm 72: I've had significant chin hair since I was 14. For most of my life I spent an hour a day plucking. In my fifties, I got it down to 45 minutes, plus depilatory for the finer hairs every 2-3 days. I first got Vaniqa when it was still new, & it's been a relief, since I no longer have the energy I once did. It helps a lot if you use it every day, it helps some even if you use it only every 3 days. However, I quickly discovered that it gives me acne -- at least one bump for every application. So before I put it on, I apply a layer of salicylic acid lotion, cheap from CVS. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to effect how well the Vaniqa works at all. About the price. Yes, it's a fortune, but one tube lasts me about a year.”

Anonymous March 4, 2012

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “I'm in the UK and get this on prescription - just have to pay the usual £7.45 each time I get it which is approximately once per month. I think it is brilliant. In the past couple of years I seemed to have alot more peach fuzz and some coarser hair on my neck. This has slowed growth down to the point where it has almost stopped and I only occasionally have to pluck the odd hair rather than spend an hour every evening. It has given me my life back.”

Par June 27, 2019

Vaniqa (eflornithine): “Changed my life I had hair all over my chin. (Almost 100) I started seeing results in almost 2 weeks. now I pluck 5-10 in a week or so. I had marks all over my chin cos of continuous plucking and my skin has greatly improved I only gave it a 9 instead of 10 because of the cost and lack of availability I don't mind paying for the cream cos of it's benefits but it is hardly available. I live in Melbourne and they don't supply to Aussie anymore. so I get compounded from a pharmacist who charges me 2x which is very expensive. as I am using only for my chin, the cream lasts me close to 2 months. Worth every penny though, brought back my self confidence FYI- I spent a lot on laser with no results other than increased hairgrowth”

Learn more about Hirsutism