User Reviews for Codeine/guaifenesin

Also known as: Cheratussin AC, Virtussin A/C, Guaiatussin AC, Mar-cof CG, Brontex, M-Clear WC, Guaifenesin AC, Gani-Tuss NR, Guaitussin AC, Codar GF, Cheracol with Codeine, Bitex Liquid, Robafen AC, Allfen CD, Allfen CDX, Mytussin AC, Guiatussin with Codeine, Glydeine, Guaifen-C, Guaifen AC, Codafen, Guai-Co, Duraganidin NR Diabetic Tussin C Dex-Tuss ExeClear-C Guiatuss AC Pro-Clear …show all brand names

Cough 5.5

Reviews for Codeine/guaifenesin

Honey · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

For Cough: “I took this right before I wanted to go to sleep and it helped tremendously. I was nervous because I read all these reviews first and I have a sensitive stomach and didn’t wanna get sick or nauseous from it. I took some anti nausea meds with the first dose just incase but with the second dose I didn’t and my stomach was just fine. I assure you this stuff really helped me. Before my doctor prescribed me this medicine I wasn’t getting any sleep but this stuff worked for about 5 hours of sleep and then I took the next dose and was able to sleep another 4 hours straight. I woke up feeling so much better. The only thing I found that bothered me was it gave me a headache but I just took one Tylenol 500mg and it helped with that pretty quick”

Trapdoor · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Cheratussin AC (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “Had a mild cough, just enough to keep me awake. I dad taken this drug through the years and it really worked well. Now this time I take it and I'm awake gasping for breath. Also severe pain in what seems to be my lungs. Maybe because I'm getting older (68) and can't tolerate it any more. I'm not going to take it anymore. BUT, I did quit coughing.”

Andybear · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

For Cough: “I've had severe bronchitis for a week now so to doc I go. She gave me this codeine and guaifenesin cough syrup, a shot of steroids and with round of doxycyline it (antibiotic) but any way the cough medicine is helping well, I am hardly coughing and my ribs aren't hurting I'd suggest it to everybody”

Anonymous January 8, 2020

Robitussin-AC (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “Had a harsh cough that lasted for a week. I purchased this cough syrup and took 20 ml and felt the relief immediately. Not only did my cough ease up but I was able to clear the mucus that was stuck in my chest! Would definitely recommend! I also give the childrens robitussin to my sons”

Katrina · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

For Cough: “It’s terrible. I took it at bedtime and drank enough water as the instruction said. I woke up middle of the night two days in a row and coughed like crazy. The doctor in the urgent care prescribed me this medicine to help me sleep better at night but I don’t think it’s working well for me. The price is about the same with a bottle of Mucinex night time.”

Jessie · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

For Cough: “Got this to help sleep as have upper respiratory infection as have mucus stuck in chest. Started taking a 5 day dose of Z-pack and within hours my mucus was less congested! Was doing great throughout the day and took this medicine as prescribed by the doctor -supposed to help sleep and cough, well it made the cough worse and no sleep. Will not be taking every again.”

Sleepy · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

For Cough: “This drug is awful, the urgent care prescribed it to help suppress cough so I could sleep. It did the opposite. I’m coughing constantly and can't sleep at all. I’ll never take this again.”

NoRestForTheWicked · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Cough: “Been battling a virus for about 3 days and decided to go into Urgent Care to get checked out. Doc prescribed this after I told her I hadn't slept for two nights. I took the 10mL dose as directed, and while it initially made me drowsy, not 3 hours later I was awake in bed coughing. It's now about 4:50am, and I just took a half-dose of Nyquil to hopefully get some sleep. Grateful I'm off work. I've used this before and gotten wonderful results. Wondering if the manufacture has changed due to the opioid crisis.”

Nicole · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

For Cough: “Does not work you will be better off taking Mucinex DM if you want to get rid of your cough.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

Virtussin A/C (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “I was given this for a persistent cough that I've had for about a week and a half now. My whole body hurts. My heads going to explode. My throat is ripped to shreds and I havent slept well at all. I had a cough like this a couple years ago and I remember my doc giving me a codeine cough syrup and it was seriously a miracle in a bottle. I was so excited to get this and was looking forward to sleeping. This is not the same. It has made zero difference. I am still consistently waking up coughing 3 days later. I'm reaching my breaking point.”

Beaner · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2019

For Cough: “My Dr first provided this cough syrup to help stop an insane cough from a sinus infection I had when I couldn't sleep for like a week due to hacking. I tried everything else but nothing worked. I took 5ml (half dose) as I had never taken it before just to be sure. Nothing happened. So I took the rest of the 5ml...(full dose (10ml) and it immediately calms everything down, including my cough and I sleep well. No side effects here. No hang over. No weird dreams. And it tastes actually better than any of the OTC cough syrups. I only have to take it at night...and only a couple of nights at the most when my cough resolves. Works well when all else fails.”

Jenn · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

For Cough: “This cough med (codeine with guaifenesin) is the only cough med that takes my cough completely away within 2 days. I have always used it.”

Reii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2019

Virtussin A/C (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “I used to use promethazine but my ENT will only prescribe Robatussin or Virtussin whenever I catch a sinus infection. It’s been a huge relief to help me sleep at night but still allows small coughs to slip through here and there. However it’s much better than those major coughs where you’re just left breathless.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2019

Cheratussin AC (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “Medicine made me feel stomach sick after taking it. Tastes terrible. Coughed worse after taking it.”

Charles · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For Cough: “My wife had cough for several months. She took many kind of prescribed drugs but they were not effective. Eventually, her family doctor changed to this Guaifenesin/Codeine, and miracle, the cough went away just one day.”

Theresa147 · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2018

Virtussin A/C (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “After coughing and not sleeping for almost 3 weeks, and trying other meds, this was the only med to work for me. I highly recommend.”

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2018

For Cough: “$42 for this stuff (2 bottles) and it actually didn't work at all. I coughed just as much for a week. I took 5ml 3 times a day if needed. My insurance did not cover it. I think I would have been better off buying over the counter. mm”

sleepless · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2018

For Cough: “This stuff is awful. The first time I took it it helped put me to sleep for an hour and I woke up with an awful coughing attack and then barely slept through the night. The second night I took it I was awake the entire night coughing worse than not taking anything. Mucinex DM has the same active ingredient and works 1000x better, and NyQuil always knocks me out all night, I’m going to stick with over the counter meds.”

matt · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

Virtussin A/C (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “I was told to take 5 ml by mouth 3x/day. I was concerned about the codeine, but it seems to have no effect due to the small amount of it in it (class V opioid liquid, so pretty safe with prescribed use). I was given a 7 day supply (105 mL), and it seems to help a bit, but not enough. I would recommend an OTC cough syrup with a nyquill or zquil”

Cookie · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2018

For Cough: “This medicine is a waste of money. I wanted to cough because of the guaifensin, but the codeine was stopping me. Kept me awake all night. Gave me a dull nasty headache. Pharmacist told me to not drink or eat after taken this. I was coughing still. Ended up in the ER because I needed to get fluid to get rid of the headache. Finally, a simple nebulizer treatment three times a day got rid of the cough in 3 days. Don’t abuse antibiotics, you may end up with C Difficile infection”

Fdf July 29, 2018

Cheratussin AC (codeine / guaifenesin): “I’m pretty sure I have acute bronchitis along with a cold. Low fever, coughing up thick mucus that burns, body aches all over, headache, runny nose, sinus congestion and swelling when I lay my head down. I had some unexpired cheratussin left over from my last bout and took 2 teaspoons today, right before my hubbys hot shower. I breathed in the steam. I have to say that I feel kind of awake, I mean, my eyes were feeling heavy before but they feel oddly lighter and awake. My body also doesn’t seem to ache as much. Keep in mind that I am sitting up in a lay down position, not exerting myself. My legs felt restless before but maybe it’s giving me a relaxed feeling? I don’t mind that it’s 11:52 pm because honestly I would rather feel awake and not have aches, than my throat burning and feeling hurt all over. Mucus is also coming up but not sure if that’s because my steam sessions and large amounts of water. I have been drinking a bottle of water like every hour to 2 hours.”

Poof/ Female · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2018

Cheratussin AC (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “Unfortunately, I had the same negative experience with this cough/codeine combination as another reviewer. My doctor said it should help me sleep, and not keep me up coughing all night. ( I was recently diagnosed with Viral Bronchitis) This did just the opposite! I took this at 11:00 p.m. and then laid awake until 3:30a.m! I had to get up and take some Nyquil just to get a few hours sleep, before having to get up for the day. Thought this may be a fluke, so I tried the same thing the next evening....sure enough...I laid awake again into the wee hours! I'll stick to the Over the Counter, Mucinex DM.”

Kympossible February 2, 2018

Cheratussin AC (codeine / guaifenesin) for Cough: “I’m awake for the 3rd night in a row now. This stuff tastes awful, but I could deal with that if it would work. My doctor used to give me Tussionex, but she has a new NP who seemed to think I needed this instead, even when I told her I’d like to go with what I know has worked in the past. I’d rather be using mussinex or Thera flu. At least with those options I can sleep through the night. This seems to make my cough worse.”

Willamina February 1, 2018

For Cough: “I had been coughing for several days. After seeing the Dr they wrote a prescription for Guiaiatussini/codeine syrup. I had not slept in days. The first day I took it as prescribed, every 5 hours. I felt no effect of the codeine and my cough became more productive. The second nite I increased my dose from 5ML to 10ML. 10 minutes after taking it I couldn’t stop coughing. It isn’t helping and I’m going another nite without sleep. We are going to set up a humidifier and see if that helps quiet the cough.”

professional cougher January 26, 2018

For Cough: “Codeine ( or any narcotic) is the only thing that will give me any relieve from the post viral cough's that I constantly get. Unfortunately I have to take 10 ml to stop coughing and I go through the bottle too quickly. Main problem is that MD's are reluctant to prescribe due to the opioid crisis. I don't like taking narcotics, but the two 10 day steroid courses, multiple inhalers and neurontin have not done a thing”