User Reviews for Abatacept systemic

Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Summary of Abatacept reviews 6.0 37 reviews

Reviews for Abatacept

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Could only tolerate 4 infusions over a 2 month period. Managed the extreme fatigue, but the canker sores (mouth ulcers) were debilitating. Nothing I tried helped from 2 docs, (Rheumatologist and Dentist) 2 pharmacists. Difficulty talking, eating and sleeping. At the worst stage, I had terrible ear pain (ear aches), PCP said my ears were "congested" and always on the side of 6 - 8 canker sores on my tongue. Do not know next steps. Doc does not believe canker sores are caused by Orencia......never had anything like this in my life."

banker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The first biologic I was put on was Enbrel and within 4 weeks, I was experiencing liver failure! So I went back on my oral meds for 2 more years. My new Rheumatologist prescribed Orencia and I have been on it for 3 years. It has given me back my freedom! I have had RA for 18 years and nothing worked this well!"

Dorothy (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took this medication for 2 years! 2 years my Rheumatologist forced me to stay on this nothing medication with obvious continuous flare, and damage. I think 1 good year of giving a medication a go is sufficient, but this useless Rheumatologist refused to try something else. In the meantime....my hands have obvious irreversible damage, swollen, hurt, and I require pain pills to survive. This medication is useless."

Helen (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medication has worked spectacularly well for me. I used to be on a cocktail including Humira, MTX, steroids and NSAIDS. I changed my diet and tried to go au natural for a few years...it worked for a while, but in my stubbornness, I experienced some joint damage. So I was highly inflamed when I started the Orencia. My rheumy and I picked this med because while on Humira, I was sick more than I was well. Orencia has the reputation for causing less illness. After five months, my inflammation has significantly decreased and I haven't had even a sniffle. That said, any medication has a higher potential to work for you if you are eating an anti-inflammatory diet and making sure you are not vitamin/mineral deficient. Try an elimination diet so you can truly know what foods bother you. Most people aren't in tune enough with their bodies to know when a food is making their joints worse. An elimination diet is key to getting in touch with your body and its response to food."

S October 10, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am scared to quit Orencia and am getting no benefit from it....what a waste"

Chichi (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on Orencia 8 years. Started with infusions, switched to injections. Have not seen any improvement, but Dr. insists it's working because my inflammation markers are normal. My orthopedic doesn't agree though, because he continues to see more joint damage every time I see him. And if my inflammation markers are normal, why is there pain and swelling every day?"

Trish (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Orencia worked a little maybe taking the pain down from 8 to 6 but it did not get rid of the sacroiliac joint (SI) joint pain I had ever, so I went on to try another medicine from my rheumatologist."

Anne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It made me extremely nauseous."

17cherry (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had had success with Actemra, but at the 11 month mark, I had a heart attack and an upper GI bleed, both believed to be caused by the Actemra. So, we changed to Orencia, primarily because it has a lower incidence of side effects. It did take 5-1/2 months for the Orencia to start working, but it is now working well, and I feel like it continues to improve. I do take it in combination with methotrexate. I have not had any side effects. I am very pleased by how much Orencia has helped me."

Barb B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2018

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Unfortunately Orencia did not work for me. I waited six months to see if it would work. It did nothing for me, but at least I didn’t have any side effects from it. I wish they could come up with a test to figure out what medication will work for who. It’s terrible wasting time waiting for something that may never happen."

Jd7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had the worse experience with this Orencia medicine. I kept waiting for the six months that they said it takes to work. In the process, I got worse than ever . It not only didn't work but made me worse. I was so mad that I waited so long in vain. I will never try another medication that supposedly take that long to work."

Aassoorr October 16, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Orencia for 3.5 years and diagnosed 4 years ago. I am so thankful that I responded so well to this medication. Orencia was the first medication and hopefully, the last. Since my first infusion, in 2013, and the symptoms were finally being held at bay, I have not had any issues to date. I, whole heartily, 100% recommend Orecina. It saved my life and gave me my life back. I hope it'll do the same for you."

ShellyMoe (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been doing the infusion for three months now. It hasn't improved any of my symptoms at all. Day of infusion I get severe low back/hip pain & I'm exhausted. The two days following I sleep a lot & feel awful."

Keatonsmm (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After rashes, pain, nausea, and elevated liver enzymes on Remicade, then Humira, the doc switched me to Orencia. Felt very tired the evening of the loading dose, but not ill. Now I feel better than I have felt in 4 years! LOVE this stuff!"

KatAb May 29, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "LIFE CHANGING - I have tried many of your typical RA drugs since being diagnosed at 22 (Plaquenil, Methylprednisolone for 5 years ) "

5teph (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: "I loved it til I had my first reaction after 8 months using it . my life has improved."

cadetmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with severe ra in 2009 with Sjögren's, Raynauds and Fibro. I've tried Methotrexate, Sulfazine, Prednisone, Embrel, Humira and Remicade. I became allergic to all of the biological then the others stopped working. Orencia saved me. I react positively within 2 days of my self injection. I can take breaks, sometimes months off, and it does not effect how the drug works for me. I can now run a mile, ride horses for hours, swim and roller skate again. I'm 47 and I look 35 thanks to this miracle drug. I'm so happy to have my strength and mobility back!"

Christy B September 24, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Works quite well. Shot is painless. I don't generally have side effects. I have the Orencia copay assistance that makes the medication affordable."

RNNana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2016

For Not Listed / Other: "I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2007. I had no major side effects until the past couple years. Now the Lupus has caused and RA diagnosis and a Vasculitis diagnosis. I have been on Plaquinel and Methotrexate. I was scheduled for a Cytoxan infusion but my bloodwork came back positive for the Jo-1 virus. So I cannot have the infusion. The doctor has since prescribed me Orencia by weekly at home injection ( I opted for this versus the infusion). I just had my 3rd weekly injection. The first week showed no difference but the second week showed vast improvement with minimal pain and I was able to go for a 1/2 mile walk the other day- WOO HOO! I do notice I am tired the day after injection but the energy picks up after that. :)"

bardot3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Gave this drug a ten a few months ago but after just over a year it has stopped working. Now trying roactemra"

Northern girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed 3years ago with RA in all major joints except right hip which is severe Osteoarthritis,I take Plaquenil & have tried Methotrexate, Gabapentin, Meloxicam, Arava had major side effects with each one. My Dr. decided to try a biologic. My first self injection of Enbrel caused an anaphylactic reaction almost killing me. I now carry an epi pen. I was scared but hopeful that Orencia would work. The first injection I litterally kept the Epi Pen in my hand. 2 hours after the first dose all 10 fingers turned a very dark blue-black color, as did my feet. My legs were a solid grey-blue color. 2nd injection same thing. Orencia was stopped. 2 months later I am still blue. NEVER AGAIN!!!"

A Rose (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Prednisone, plaquenil, mobic, sulfasalisine and arava weren't keeping my pain at bay and I was so tired, stiff and sore that I was struggling at work. My Dr Jenny decided to try orencia by self injection weekly and after a month I started to feel better and my inflammation levels started to go down. I am now off the plaquenil and prednisone and working an 8 hr day 3 days a week gardening and landscaping. I hope it continues, it saved my work life."

Jegerdy April 10, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on weekly injections since Nov 2011. Have had no side effects, no flare ups, no joint swelling or pain. Totally keeping my RA at bay. My insurance and Orencia co-pay covered the total expense but now since my insurance changed January 2016, they will not cover it and insist I try Humira. I cannot take methotrexate (kidney issues). I am terrified they'd rather let me die due to cost than give me what has worked for over 4 yrs! My doctor believes totally in Orencia & so do i! I think it's the BEST out there!"

Mild to severe RA (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My RA attacked my lungs, turning my lung tissue into scar tissue, which does not expand. My first pulmonologist gave me five years. Then I changed Dr. And my rheumatologist & pulmonologist put their heads together, after I had 3 bad reactions to drugs, and decided to put me on Orencia infusions. I have been on it for 2 & 1/2 years. My lung damage has stopped. My lungs are not healing, but they are no longer getting worse. The rest of my body isn't receiving much relief, but I am thrilled about my lungs! If they are not getting worse, that means my 5 years is no longer counting down. Thank you Orencia! And my insurance covers my infusion clinic bill in full. I am still on oxygen 24/7 at a rate of 4 liters, which I have been on since 2012."

Jowinner (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2016

Orencia (abatacept) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have had severe rheumatoid arthritis and linked auto immune liver disease for four years. Nothing worked. I couldn't take methotrexate because of my liver. I have had steroids by the bucket load, sulfasalazine, azathrioprine, cimzia, simponi, rituximab, - nothing worked. I began orencia seven months ago and it has transformed my life. I am almost back to normal again (although anyone who has been through this will know that life will never be the same again!) and have had no unpleasant side effects. Amazing."

northern girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2016