This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Plantar Fasciitis Exercises
What you need to know about plantar fasciitis exercises:
Plantar fasciitis exercises help stretch your plantar fascia, calf muscles, and Achilles tendon. They also help strengthen the muscles that support your heel and foot. Exercises and stretching can help prevent plantar fasciitis from getting worse or coming back.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your pain and swelling increase.
- You develop new knee, hip, or back pain.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
How to do plantar fasciitis exercises:
Ask your healthcare provider when to start these exercises and how often to do them.
- Heel stretch: Stand up straight with your hands on a wall. Place your injured leg slightly behind your other leg. Keep your heels flat on the floor, lean forward, and bend both knees. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Calf stretch: Stand up straight with your hands on a wall. Step forward so that your uninjured foot is in front of your injured foot. Keep your front leg bent and your back leg straight. Gently lean forward until you feel your calf stretch. Hold for 30 seconds and then relax.
- Seated plantar fascia stretch: Sit on a firm surface, such as the floor or a mat. Extend your legs out in front of you. Raise your injured foot a few inches off the ground. Keep your leg straight. Grab the toes of your injured foot and pull them toward you. With your other hand, feel your plantar fascia. You should feel it press outward. Hold for 30 seconds. If you cannot reach your toes, loop a towel or tie around your foot. Gently pull on the towel or tie and flex your toes toward you.
- Heel raises: Stand on the injured leg. Raise your other leg off the ground. Hold onto a railing or wall for balance. Slowly rise up on the toes of your injured leg. Hold for 5 seconds. Slowly lower your heel to the ground.
- Toe curls: Place a towel on the floor. Put your foot flat on the towel. Grab the towel with your toes by curling them around the towel. Lift the towel up with your toes.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.