This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Fungal meningitis is inflammation of the lining that surrounds and protects your brain and spinal cord. The inflammation is caused by a fungal infection and can be life-threatening. The most common symptoms include a high fever, stiff neck, and headache.
Call 911 for any of the following:
- You are hard to wake. Tell someone to call 911 if it becomes hard to wake you.
- You have a seizure.
Seek care immediately if:
- You have a headache, fever, and stiff neck.
- You are confused.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
You may need any of the following:
- Antifungal medicine helps to kill the fungus causing your infection.
- Pain medicine may be given. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you ask for more pain medicine.
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen help decrease a fever. These medicines are available without a doctor's order. Ask your healthcare provider how much to take and when to take it. Follow directions. If not taken correctly, acetaminophen can cause liver damage and ibuprofen can cause kidney damage.
- Steroids decrease redness, pain, and swelling.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
- Discard the tissue after you use it to wipe or blow your nose.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Do not share food or drinks.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.