This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
is inflammation of the lining that surrounds and protects your brain and spinal cord. The inflammation is caused by a fungal infection and can be life-threatening.
Common signs and symptoms:
- A severe headache, stiff neck, and fever
- Neck pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Eye pain when you look into bright lights
- Sleepiness or confusion
Call 911 for any of the following:
- You are hard to wake. Tell someone to call 911 if it becomes hard to wake you.
- You have a seizure.
Seek care immediately if:
- You have a headache, stiff neck, and fever.
- You are confused.
- You have a seizure.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
may include any of the following:
- Antifungal medicine helps to kill the fungus causing your infection.
- Pain medicine may be given. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you ask for more pain medicine.
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen help decrease a fever. These medicines are available without a doctor's order. Ask your healthcare provider how much to take and when to take it. Follow directions. If not taken correctly, acetaminophen can cause liver damage and ibuprofen can cause kidney damage.
- Steroids decrease redness, pain, and swelling.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
- Discard the tissue after you use it to wipe or blow your nose.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Do not share food or drinks.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.