Generic Name: simethicone (sye-METH-i-kone)
Brand Name: Children's Gas-X Tongue Twisters
Simethicone strips are used for:
Relieving pressure, bloating, and gas in the digestive tract. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Simethicone strips are an antiflatulent. It works by breaking up gas bubbles, which makes gas easier to eliminate.
Do NOT use simethicone strips if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in simethicone strips
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using simethicone strips:
Some medical conditions may interact with simethicone strips. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with simethicone strips. However, no specific interactions with simethicone strips are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if simethicone strips may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use simethicone strips:
Use simethicone strips as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use simethicone strips as needed after meals and before bedtime, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Do not remove the strip from the pouch until you are ready to use simethicone strips. Make sure that your hands are dry when you handle simethicone strips.
- Remove the strip from the pouch and place it on the tongue. The strip dissolves quickly and can be swallowed with saliva. Simethicone strips may be taken with or without water.
- Use the strip immediately after opening the pouch. Do not store the strip for future use.
- Do not use more than 6 strips in 24 hours unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of simethicone strips, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use simethicone strips.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Simethicone strips should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking simethicone strips, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using simethicone strips while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use simethicone strips, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of simethicone strips:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of simethicone strips:
Store simethicone strips at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep simethicone strips out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about simethicone strips, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Simethicone strips are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take simethicone strips or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about simethicone strips. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to simethicone strips. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using simethicone strips.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about simethicone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous GI agents
- Simethicone chewable tablets
- Simethicone liquid
- Simethicone liquid drops
- Simethicone suspension
- Simethicone (Advanced Reading)