Generic name: Bupivacaine and Epinephrine (byoo PIV a kane & ep i NEF rin)
Brand name: Marcaine/Epinephrine, Marcaine/Epinephrine PF, Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine, Sensorcaine/EPINEPHrine
Drug class: Local injectable anesthetics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 20, 2021.
- Do not use the 0.75% during labor. Unsafe side effects may happen. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine:
- It is used to numb an area before a procedure.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine?
- If you have an allergy to bupivacaine, epinephrine, or any other part of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine).
- If you are allergic to Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine); any part of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bleeding, a heartbeat that is not normal, an infection in the blood or where Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) will be given, or low blood pressure.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine?
For all uses of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) affects you.
- If you are allergic to sulfites, talk with your doctor. Some products have sulfites.
- A severe blood problem called methemoglobinemia has happened with drugs like this one. The risk may be raised in people who have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, heart problems, or lung problems. The risk may also be raised while taking certain other drugs and in infants younger than 6 months of age. Tell your doctor if you have ever had methemoglobinemia.
- If you are 65 or older, use Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Not all products are meant for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) while you are pregnant.
- Do not eat while your mouth feels numb. You may bite your tongue.
- This medicine may cause short-term loss of feeling and motor activity in the lower half of your body. Do not try to get out of bed or do other tasks or actions until feeling and motor activity have returned to normal.
How is this medicine (Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine) best taken?
Use Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
- Your doctor will give Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine will be given on an as needed basis in a healthcare setting.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
For all uses of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine):
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of too much acid in the blood (acidosis) like confusion; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; very bad stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up; feeling very sleepy; shortness of breath; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Feeling hot or cold.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling lightheaded, sleepy, confused, or having blurred eyesight.
- Change in balance.
- Change in speech.
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth.
- Metallic taste.
- Ringing in ears.
- Low mood (depression).
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Very bad headache.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- Long-lasting burning, numbness, tingling, or paralysis in the lower half of the body.
- Fever or chills.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stiff neck.
- If bright lights bother your eyes.
What are some other side effects of Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine?
- If you need to store Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Sensorcaine-MPF/EPINEPHrine (bupivacaine and epinephrine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Sensorcaine-MPF with Epinephrine (bupivacaine / epinephrine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: local injectable anesthetics
- Other brands
- Marcaine HCl with Epinephrine
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.