Saliva Substitute Powder Packets
Generic name: Saliva Substitute Powder Packets [ sa-LYE-va-SUB-stee-tute ]
Brand names: BocaSal, NeutraSal, SalivaMAX, Salivate Rx
Drug class: Mouth and throat products
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 29, 2022.
Uses of Saliva Substitute Powder Packets:
- It is used to treat dry mouth.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Saliva Substitute Powder Packets?
- If you have an allergy to saliva substitute or any other part of this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets); any part of this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Saliva Substitute Powder Packets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- Take good care of your teeth or dentures while you are using this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Saliva Substitute Powder Packets) best taken?
Use this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- You may need to avoid eating or drinking for some time after using this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets). Follow what your doctor has told you or read the package insert.
- Most products must not be swallowed. For some products, it does not matter. Be sure you know if your product can be swallowed. If you are not sure, check with the pharmacist.
- Mix powder with water only as you have been told.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Many times this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Mouth irritation.
- Change in speech.
- Change in taste.
What are some other side effects of Saliva Substitute Powder Packets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Saliva Substitute Powder Packets?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (saliva substitute powder packets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about saliva substitutes topical
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (64)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: mouth and throat products
- En español
- Drug Information
- Artificial Saliva Spray
- Saliva Substitute Gel
- Saliva Substitute Lozenges
- Saliva Substitute Solution
Biotene Mouthwash, XyliMelts, Mouth Kote, Biotene Oral Balance, ... +10 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.