Generic name: Ribavirin Capsules [ rye-ba-VYE-rin ]
Brand names: Rebetol, Ribasphere
Drug classes: Inhaled anti-infectives, Purine nucleosides
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 19, 2022.
- Do not take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) alone to treat hepatitis C infection.
- A severe blood problem called hemolytic anemia has happened with this medicine (ribavirin capsules). This can make heart disease worse and lead to heart attacks, which can be deadly. Tell your doctor if you have ever had heart problems. Get medical help right away if you have chest pain while taking this medicine (ribavirin capsules).
- Do not take if you are pregnant. Use during pregnancy may cause birth defects or loss of the unborn baby. If you get pregnant or plan on getting pregnant while taking this medicine (ribavirin capsules), call your doctor right away.
- Use 2 kinds of birth control that you can trust while using this medicine (ribavirin capsules) and for 6 months after stopping this medicine (ribavirin capsules).
- Do not take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) if you are a man with a sex partner who is pregnant.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy during treatment and for 6 months after your last dose. Use 2 kinds of birth control.
- If you or your sex partner gets pregnant while taking this medicine (ribavirin capsules) or within 6 months after stopping this medicine (ribavirin capsules), call your doctor right away.
Uses of Ribavirin Capsules:
- It is used to treat hepatitis C infection.
- This medicine may be used along with interferon or peginterferon. If you are using one of these drugs, read the patient fact sheet that comes with it.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ribavirin Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to ribavirin or any other part of this medicine (ribavirin capsules).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (ribavirin capsules); any part of this medicine (ribavirin capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Autoimmune hepatitis, liver problems other than hepatitis C, kidney disease, sickle cell anemia, or thalassemia major.
- If you are taking didanosine.
- If you are of childbearing age, but are not using 2 kinds of birth control or if you are planning to get pregnant during your treatment or within 6 months after your last dose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (ribavirin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ribavirin Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (ribavirin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may need to have an ECG checked before starting this medicine (ribavirin capsules) and while taking it. Talk with your doctor.
- Have your lung function checked as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors.
- Watch for gout attacks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol may make liver disease worse.
- Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist often.
- If you throw up, rinse your mouth out well.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- If giving this medicine (ribavirin capsules) to your child and your child's weight changes, talk with the doctor. The dose of this medicine (ribavirin capsules) may need to be changed.
- This medicine may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are a woman of childbearing age, take a pregnancy test each month while you take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) and for 6 months after care ends.
- If you are a man with a female sex partner who may get pregnant, she will need a pregnancy test each month during your treatment and for 6 months after your last dose.
- If you have sex without using 2 kinds of birth control that you can trust, if you think you may be pregnant, or if you miss your period, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Ribavirin Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (ribavirin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Do not open the capsules.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Keep taking this medicine (ribavirin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- It is important that you do not miss or skip a dose of this medicine (ribavirin capsules) during treatment.
- Do not take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose, call your doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in eyesight.
- Loss of eyesight.
- Pale skin.
- Feeling confused.
- Not able to focus.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take this medicine (ribavirin capsules) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- Low blood cell counts have happened with this medicine (ribavirin capsules). If blood cell counts get very low, this can lead to bleeding problems, infections, or anemia. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or if you feel very tired or weak.
- Some people have had lung problems with this medicine (ribavirin capsules). Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of lung problems like shortness of breath or other trouble breathing, cough that is new or worse, or fever.
What are some other side effects of Ribavirin Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Trouble sleeping.
- Constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach, throwing up, or feeling less hungry.
- Hair loss.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Dry skin.
- Dry mouth.
- Weight loss.
- Flu-like signs. These include headache, weakness, fever, shakes, aches, pains, and sweating.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ribavirin Capsules?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time this medicine (ribavirin capsules) is refilled. If you have any questions about this medicine (ribavirin capsules), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about ribavirin
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (10)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: inhaled anti-infectives
- Drug Information
- Ribavirin inhalation
- Ribavirin (Advanced Reading)
- Ribavirin Inhalation, oral/nebulization (Advanced Reading)
- Ribavirin Tablets
- Ribavirin Inhalation Solution
Virazole, Copegus, Rebetol, Moderiba, ... +3 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.