Generic Name: Povidone-Iodine (Vaginal) (POE vi done EYE oh dyne)
Brand Name: Operand Povidone-Iodine, Summers Eve Disp Medicated
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
Uses of Operand Povidone-Iodine:
- It is used to treat vaginal irritation, itching, and soreness.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Operand Povidone-Iodine?
- If you have an allergy to povidone, iodine, or any other part of Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)).
- If you have signs of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) like belly pain, nausea, throwing up, fever, chills, sores on your genitals, or bad-smelling discharge.
- If you have just been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
- If you have signs of an STD like more vaginal discharge than normal, change in color of vaginal discharge, or bad-smelling discharge; pain when passing urine; passing urine more often; or sores or ulcers on your genitals.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Operand Povidone-Iodine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If signs get worse or last for more than 7 days, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
How is this medicine (Operand Povidone-Iodine) best taken?
Use Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Do not take Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) by mouth. For vaginal use only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) is used.
- Vaginal pain or swelling.
- Fever or chills.
What are some other side effects of Operand Povidone-Iodine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Operand Povidone-Iodine?
- Store at room temperature.
- Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Operand Povidone-Iodine (povidone-iodine (vaginal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about povidone iodine topical
- Povidone iodine topical Side Effects
- Pricing & Coupons
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides