Generic Name: Bupivacaine (byoo PIV a kane)
Brand Name: Bupivacaine Spinal, Marcaine, Marcaine Preservative Free, Marcaine Spinal, P-Care M, ...show all 9 brand names.ReadySharp Bupivacaine, Sensorcaine, Sensorcaine-MPF, Sensorcaine-MPF Spinal
- Do not use the 0.75% during labor. Unsafe side effects may happen. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Marcaine Preservative Free:
- It is used to numb an area before care.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Marcaine Preservative Free?
- If you have an allergy to bupivacaine or any other part of Marcaine Preservative Free (bupivacaine).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bleeding, a heartbeat that is not normal, an infection in the blood or where this medicine will be given, or low blood pressure.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Marcaine Preservative Free.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Marcaine Preservative Free?
For all uses of Marcaine Preservative Free:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Marcaine Preservative Free affects you.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine with care. You could have more side effects.
- Not all products are meant for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Marcaine Preservative Free while you are pregnant.
- Do not eat while your mouth feels numb. You may bite your tongue.
- This medicine may cause short-term loss of feeling and motor activity in the lower half of your body. Do not try to get out of bed or do other tasks or actions until feeling and motor activity have returned to normal.
How is this medicine (Marcaine Preservative Free) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
- Your doctor will give Marcaine Preservative Free.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of too much acid in the blood (acidosis) like confusion; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; a heartbeat the does not feel normal; very bad stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up; feeling very sleepy; shortness of breath; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Change in balance.
- Change in speech.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Ringing in ears.
- Low mood (depression).
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth.
- Metallic taste.
What are some other side effects of Marcaine Preservative Free?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Marcaine Preservative Free?
- If you need to store this medicine at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Marcaine Preservative Free, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Marcaine Preservative Free (bupivacaine). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Marcaine Preservative Free.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about Marcaine (bupivacaine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: local injectable anesthetics