Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil
Generic Name: Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil (mag NEE zhum hye DROKS ide & MIN er al oyl)
Brand Name: Phillips' M-O
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 24, 2019.
Uses of Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil:
- It is used to treat constipation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil?
- If you have an allergy to magnesium hydroxide, mineral oil, or any other part of magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, belly pain, upset stomach, rectal bleeding, throwing up, or change in bowel habits lasting longer than 2 weeks.
- If you have kidney disease.
- If you have trouble swallowing or are not able to stand or sit up.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil if you are pregnant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use other laxatives or stool softeners unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Do not use magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil for more than 1 week unless told to do so by your doctor.
- If you have rectal bleeding or you do not have a bowel movement after using magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil, talk with your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before you give magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil to a child younger than 6 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil) best taken?
Use magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil at bedtime.
- Take on an empty stomach.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil.
- Take with a full glass of water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Magnesium Hydroxide and Mineral Oil?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about magnesium hydroxide and mineral oil, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.