Liquid Polibar Plus
Generic name: Barium Suspension (BA ree um)
Brand name: Digibar 190, E-Z-Cat Dry, E-Z-Dose, E-Z-HD, E-Z-Paque, ...show all 19 brand names.Entero VU, Liquid E-Z-Paque, Liquid Polibar, Liquid Polibar Plus, Maxibar, Polibar ACB, Readi-Cat, Readi-Cat 2, Tagitol V, Varibar Honey, Varibar Nectar, Varibar Thin Honey, Varibar Thin Liquid, VoLumen
Drug class: Non-iodinated contrast media
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 5, 2021.
Uses of Liquid Polibar Plus:
- It is used before an x-ray or an alike test.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Liquid Polibar Plus?
- If you have an allergy to barium or any other part of this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus); any part of this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have had any of these health problems: Blockage, hole, bleeding, injury, burn, or blood flow problems in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract; slow-moving GI (gastrointestinal) tract; or a problem called toxic megacolon.
- If you have had a recent hole in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract, GI surgery, or radiation to the pelvic area.
- If you have trouble swallowing or have inhaled food, liquids, saliva, or vomit into your lungs.
- If you are not able to break down fructose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Liquid Polibar Plus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus).
- To prevent constipation or bowel block from this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus), your doctor may have you use a laxative like milk of magnesia or lactulose after using this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus). Follow what your doctor has told you.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids after using this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Some products have sorbitol in them. Very bad health problems like low blood sugar, bleeding, and kidney failure have happened when people who are not able to break down fructose took a product with sorbitol in it. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Be sure you know how to take this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus). Talk with your doctor if you have questions.
- Shake well before use.
- Most of the time, this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) is taken by mouth. Take as you have been told by your doctor.
- Some brands of this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) are to be taken with food. Some brands may be taken with or without food. Ask your pharmacist if you need to take your brand with food.
- Some products may be used as an enema. If you are using this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) as an enema, it will be given rectally by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Severe constipation or stomach pain. These may be signs of a severe bowel problem.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
What are some other side effects of Liquid Polibar Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Liquid Polibar Plus?
- Most of the time, this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus) will be given in a hospital or doctor's office. If stored at home, follow how to store as you were told by the doctor.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Liquid Polibar Plus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Liquid Polibar Plus (barium sulfate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug class: non-iodinated contrast media
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.