Generic Name: Lindane Shampoo (LIN dane)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 29, 2020.
- Seizures and deaths have happened after the use of lindane shampoo many times or for a long time. Rarely, seizures and deaths have happened after one use of lindane shampoo. Follow how to use very closely. Use lindane shampoo only when you are not helped by some other drug or if you cannot use some other drug.
- Do not use lindane shampoo in premature infants, if you have certain skin problems like psoriasis or atopic dermatitis, or if you have ever had seizures. Use with caution in children, in older people, and in people who weigh less than 110 pounds (50 kilograms). The chance of seizures may be raised. Talk with your doctor.
- You may have itching after using lindane shampoo. This does not always mean the drug did not work. Talk to your doctor about what to do.
Uses of Lindane Shampoo:
- It is used to treat lice.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lindane Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to lindane or any other part of lindane shampoo.
- If you are allergic to lindane shampoo; any part of lindane shampoo; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have used lindane in the past, talk with your doctor.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed for 24 hours after getting lindane shampoo.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with lindane shampoo.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take lindane shampoo with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lindane Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take lindane shampoo. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not take lindane shampoo by mouth. If lindane shampoo is put in the mouth or swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking lindane shampoo, call your doctor right away.
- Avoid touching lindane shampoo if you are pregnant. If you must put lindane shampoo on someone else and you are pregnant, talk with the doctor. You will need to wear special gloves to avoid touching lindane shampoo.
How is this medicine (Lindane Shampoo) best taken?
Use lindane shampoo as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use carefully.
- Shake well before use.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin unless the doctor tells you to.
- Wait at least 1 hour after you bathe or shower before putting on lindane shampoo.
- Wash all bedding, towels, and recently worn clothes in hot water or have them dry cleaned.
- Do not take lindane shampoo by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wear special gloves while putting lindane shampoo on.
- Do not wet hair with water before using shampoo.
- Lightly coat hair.
- Work into hair and scalp gently.
- Leave on hair for 4 minutes.
- Do not cover head while shampoo is on hair.
- After 4 minutes, put a little bit of warm water on hair and lather.
- Rinse fully.
- Take off gloves and wash your hands.
- Do not cover the hair with things like a shower cap or towel.
- Do not use oil treatments, oil-based hair dressings, or conditioners right before or after putting lindane shampoo on.
- Use special nit comb or tweezers to get rid of dead nits (lice eggs) from hair.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Most of the time, only one dose of lindane shampoo is needed. If you forget to put on the dose, put it on as soon as you think about it.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where lindane shampoo is used.
What are some other side effects of Lindane Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where lindane shampoo is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Lindane Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature. Throw away any part not used after use.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time lindane shampoo is refilled. If you have any questions about lindane shampoo, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about lindane topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives