Generic name: Mineral Oil Oral Emulsion [ MIHN-er-uhl-OYL ]
Drug class: Laxatives
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 15, 2023.
Uses of Kondremul:
- It is used to treat constipation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Kondremul?
- If you have an allergy to mineral oil or any other part of Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion).
- If you are allergic to Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion); any part of Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, belly pain, upset stomach, rectal bleeding, throwing up, or change in bowel habits lasting longer than 2 weeks.
- If you have trouble swallowing or are not able to stand or sit up.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) if you are pregnant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Kondremul?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) for more than 1 week unless told to do so by your doctor.
- Do not use other laxatives or stool softeners unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Do not take other drugs within 2 hours of Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion).
- If you have rectal bleeding or you do not have a bowel movement after using Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion), talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Do not give Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) to a child younger than 6 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Kondremul) best taken?
Use Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Take on an empty stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion).
- Shake well before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
What are some other side effects of Kondremul?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Kondremul?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Kondremul (mineral oil oral emulsion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Kondremul (mineral oil)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: laxatives
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.