Generic Name: sulfacetamide (SUL-fa-SET-a-mide)
Brand Name: Klaron
Klaron suspension is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Klaron suspension is a sulfonamide antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Klaron suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Klaron suspension or to sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Klaron suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Klaron suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have open sores, cuts, scrapes, or lesions on your skin
- if you have asthma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Klaron suspension. Because little, if any, of Klaron suspension is absorbed into the blood, the risks of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Klaron suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Klaron suspension:
Use Klaron suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before and after using Klaron suspension.
- Shake well before each use.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected area. Rub in gently.
- Use Klaron suspension on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using it at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- If you miss a dose of Klaron suspension, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Klaron suspension.
Important safety information:
- Klaron suspension is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you get Klaron suspension in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not apply Klaron suspension over large areas of the body or to open wounds or scraped, infected, or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other topical acne medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Klaron suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Klaron suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Klaron suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Klaron suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild reddening or scaling of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; severe or persistent irritation; swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Klaron suspension may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Klaron suspension:
Store Klaron suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heath, moisture, and light. Keep Klaron suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Klaron suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Klaron suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Klaron suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Klaron suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Klaron suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Klaron suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Klaron (sulfacetamide sodium topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical antibiotics